1100 S. Main St Apartments (Pendleton Street Baptist Church)

vicupstate

Not requiring street-front retail here is short-sighted and will kill any further expansion of Main Street in that direction. There is clearly demand for retail in this area, with West End Coffee Company taking space directly across the street. It's a real shame that such a large chunk of Main Street is going to be single use, when what has made our Main Street so special is a mixture of uses.

As currently designed, it does NOT have retail or any other use on the site. The architecture leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. Hopefully, that gets changed.   

There is no way that the certain design progresses. A lot of things will change including a step down on Rhett street, which the homeowners on other side want badly. Also, auto entrances on Rhett and Main will have to change. Also the developers pipe dream that it will include public parking paid for by the city will not happen!

There is no way that the certain design progresses. A lot of things will change including a step down on Rhett street, which the homeowners on other side want badly. Also, auto entrances on Rhett and Main will have to change. Also the developers pipe dream that it will include public parking paid for by the city will not happen!

Pipe dream? I think not. The city has shown time and time again they are willing to fund new garages downtown. Examples include Riverplace, ONE, and Erwin Penland. 

Edited by gman430

Is that what they are expecting?  I heard the city had no plans to do a garage there.  Given 400 Rhett and the others projects had to build their own garages, I wouldn't expect it to be any different here. If the city were to do it, it would be for the general public to use too, which I wouldn't expect in this case. 

Retail/commercial space along Main is crucial. Hopefully the DRB and City will force this element. It will be interesting to see how they handle the massing. 5 stories seems fine to me, but I don't live across the street. If they lower the height along Rhett, they may expose blank concrete walls of the garage. 

Is that what they are expecting?  I heard the city had no plans to do a garage there.  Given 400 Rhett and the others projects had to build their own garages, I wouldn't expect it to be any different here. If the city were to do it, it would be for the general public to use too, which I wouldn't expect in this case. 

The city was only willing to codevelop public garages in the past when there was daily use. Garage this far west on the West End would only see major use during baseball games, so it does not make fiscal sense. Besides that, the city will be less inclined to build more public parking structures going forward. 

I don't think the city should be involved with the internal garage for this project, but I really wish the city would proactively look at the entirety of this area, and perhaps build a garage somewhere. There are a lot of projects all going in at the same time in this area.  The Allen Temple lot on Main is on the market and I believe a sale is practically guaranteed.  

Also, one day something is going to happen with County Square, which will dramatically impact parking for Flour Field. Plus the city has it's eye on the Transit Bus facility for years. 

The city really needs to get in front of all this and try to coordinate the best overall solution for all parties involved.  At some point a public garage will be needed and at a minimum, the land required should be nailed down and tied up.  The window of opportunity is closing very fast.

• Like 1

:sick: More of the same boring boxy garbage that's going up everywhere.  Apparently it's pretty hopeless to expect most architects to put any sort of thought into the junk they're churning out. 6 stories on Rhett St right across from existing 1 story homes is ridiculous.  The article says "the apartment height will be similar to the church’s roofline,"  which is BS.  Most of the existing church buildings on Rhett St are 2 stories.  Maybe they're counting the height of the steeple.  I would hope our city would demand something better on Main St, but based on recent experience, I'm not setting my hopes too high.  What a disappointment.

:sick: More of the same boring boxy garbage that's going up everywhere.  Apparently it's pretty hopeless to expect most architects to put any sort of thought into the junk they're churning out. 6 stories on Rhett St right across from existing 1 story homes is ridiculous.  The article says "the apartment height will be similar to the church’s roofline,"  which is BS.  Most of the existing church buildings on Rhett St are 2 stories.  Maybe they're counting the height of the steeple.  I would hope our city would demand something better on Main St, but based on recent experience, I'm not setting my hopes too high.  What a disappointment.

You make it sound like Greenville is alone or something. Been by the SouthEnd section of Charlotte or by USC/Vista in Columbia lately? 

Edited by gman430

You make it sound like Greenville is alone or something. Been by the SouthEnd section of Charlotte or by USC/Vista in Columbia lately? 

Yes, I've seen this same exact style of boring architecture recently in other cities as well, which only makes matters worse that the best thing we can come up with for Main St here is the same generic garbage being put up everywhere else.

I think this is a result of the nature of the apartment boom and the type of developers who are doing these projects-- trying to make a quick $$. That's the difference between projects like 100 East, Riverwalk, River's Edge, etc, as opposed to the Stadium Apts, Fountains, this project... Long term and community interest vs short term gain. 

I hope the neighborhood shows up in a big way against this. Not requiring a mix of uses is going to stop Main Street's momentum in its tracks. Property owners on Main/Pendleton Streets south of this site should be up-in-arms, as well as the residents on Rhett Street. 

Clearly the growth in the West End is outpacing the city's master plan, but hopefully someone at the City can step up and remember what made Greenville great in the first place --- strong urban planning that required a mix of uses.

Okay, so what's the rule on the height differential allowed then? If you have one story homes, how tall can a new development across the street be?

If you say 2-3 stories, then I hope you are prepared for a much more expensive cost per square foot, which will be needed so that the development makes sense for the owner(s).

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just trying to understand what you deem appropriate. I for one don't mind mid-rise buildings there. That real estate is only going up in value, and I would hate to keep the structures low and look back in a few years only to wish we had built a little more height there.

Edited by Greenville

I hope the neighborhood shows up in a big way against this. Not requiring a mix of uses is going to stop Main Street's momentum in its tracks. Property owners on Main/Pendleton Streets south of this site should be up-in-arms, as well as the residents on Rhett Street. 

Clearly the growth in the West End is outpacing the city's master plan, but hopefully someone at the City can step up and remember what made Greenville great in the first place --- strong urban planning that required a mix of uses.

Funny how there were no complaints about 400 Rhett and Link having no retail on the ground floor but yet there is with this project. I live on Rhett Street and have no desire to protest this project. 

Edited by gman430

I would prefer a mix of uses, primarily retail, but there is a a big difference between Rhett and Main. A traffic and visibility difference that makes it somewhat apples and oranges.

The only real problem I have with it is the architecture. It doesn't fit the West End and it isn't particularly attractive either. The height doesn't bother me and wouldn't even if I lived across from it.  

Like I said earlier, the city needs to be deeply involved with everything going on around this project and try to plan for the best ultimate result.

Okay, so what's the rule on the height differential allowed then? If you have one story homes, how tall can a new development across the street be?

If you say 2-3 stories, then I hope you are prepared for a much more expensive cost per square foot, which will be needed so that the development makes sense for the owner(s).

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just trying to understand what you deem appropriate. I for one don't mind mid-rise buildings there. That real estate is only going up in value, and I would hate to keep the structures low and look back in a few years only to wish we had built a little more height there.

Hmm, I wonder if the height of the new Pendleton Street Baptist Church will be problematic? I have no idea what it will be, but i doubt they will be timid with their building. 

Funny how there were no complaints about 400 Rhett and Link having no retail on the ground floor but yet there is with this project. I live on Rhett Street and have no desire to protest this project. 

My comment was about property owners directly across the street, not renters at 400 Rhett. And I don't think I even need to respond to your comparison between this site and 400 Rhett/Link.

Even if the market can support all of these apartments, it will be a shame if they are all indistinguishable from one another (not to mention indistinguishable from every other city in the country). The designs are all similar because the developers are designing for the lowest cost possible. Build cheap, lease up fast and sell quickly with no consideration for the long-term impact on Greenville.

My comment was about property owners directly across the street, not renters at 400 Rhett. And I don't think I even need to respond to your comparison between this site and 400 Rhett/Link.

Even if the market can support all of these apartments, it will be a shame if they are all indistinguishable from one another (not to mention indistinguishable from every other city in the country). The designs are all similar because the developers are designing for the lowest cost possible. Build cheap, lease up fast and sell quickly with no consideration for the long-term impact on Greenville.

Ahhh....I gotcha. Being one block off Main or right on Main is not a big difference IMO. All of these projects should have retail on the ground floor. Shame to see nobody showed up to complain about 400 Rhett, Stadium Apartments, and Link not having any. I thought one of the city objectives was to have foot traffic start to move off Main. How is that supposed to happen with no retail in these buildings like SouthRidge, Rivers Edge, Aloft at ONE, and McBee Station which are all off Main have? 

Even though I am not crazy about the design or colors of this particular project which hopefully gets changed, I am glad to see they all have the same architectural style. They'll all blend together well in the end instead of one building looking too much out of place from another. 

Even with all of this, I still have no desire to show up and protest the project. The developer would have a good argument unfortunately as to why retail would be required here if the projects literally right next door weren't required to. 

Edited by gman430

I don't think the city should be involved with the internal garage for this project, but I really wish the city would proactively look at the entirety of this area, and perhaps build a garage somewhere. There are a lot of projects all going in at the same time in this area.  The Allen Temple lot on Main is on the market and I believe a sale is practically guaranteed.  

Also, one day something is going to happen with County Square, which will dramatically impact parking for Flour Field. Plus the city has it's eye on the Transit Bus facility for years. 

The city really needs to get in front of all this and try to coordinate the best overall solution for all parties involved.  At some point a public garage will be needed and at a minimum, the land required should be nailed down and tied up.  The window of opportunity is closing very fast.

If the city does decide to build a new parking garage in the West End, it will be on the Transit site.