1100 S. Main St Apartments (Pendleton Street Baptist Church)

vicupstate

• 4 weeks later...

Well I kinda knew that would happen. So let the expansion westward began. My next prediction.... Wait for it.... is the SCDEW building on Pendleton Street. From some folks I know from the state that I know who work there say it's way to much space than they really need and since Governor Hailey decentralized that office. The state maybe open to selling the property. Besides that, it is one of the last remaining pieces of property with only one owner. But back on subject. I had no doubt that retail in this project wouldn't be added. That's not their thing. And being honest this isn't going to stop people from walking up onto Pendleton Street. It's things after this. That curiosity factor. What's up the street is what's going to make people do that. Don't you think people already do that when they walk from main and Augusta up to markley. 

That is interesting about SCDEW. That block would certainly go a long way to change the character of that corridor.  I wonder if a road diet would be warranted for that section of Pendleton. 

I had heard a rumor that the Citgo station was going to go on the market. That could be a game changer for that vicinity.   

Well I kinda knew that would happen. So let the expansion westward began. My next prediction.... Wait for it.... is the SCDEW building on Pendleton Street. From some folks I know from the state that I know who work there say it's way to much space than they really need and since Governor Hailey decentralized that office. The state maybe open to selling the property. Besides that, it is one of the last remaining pieces of property with only one owner. But back on subject. I had no doubt that retail in this project wouldn't be added. That's not their thing. And being honest this isn't going to stop people from walking up onto Pendleton Street. It's things after this. That curiosity factor. What's up the street is what's going to make people do that. Don't you think people already do that when they walk from main and Augusta up to markley. 

While I agree that the property will be redeveloped. Remember that it is not C4. The city is probably going to stop the westward expansion of C4 so don't look for it to be rezoned as such. That will cut into the business case for the property from some developers. 

That is interesting about SCDEW. That block would certainly go a long way to change the character of that corridor.  I wonder if a road diet would be warranted for that section of Pendleton. 

I had heard a rumor that the Citgo station was going to go on the market. That could be a game changer for that vicinity.   

From what I have heard, SCDOT has been against a road diet on Landry/Pendleton. 

Much better...but...

Without retail space on Main...its not a winner in my book. 

For me, it's dated looking and blah.  I get that developers make higher margins if they dont put much effort or expense into how things look or just borrow older designs, and I wish someone would apply more pressure to bring out better designs from them anyway.  Also, the sun study stuff looks fishy and altered.  For one, the sun study was done at 1 pm, um, when the sun is directly above, and well, duh, of course there wont be many issues with shading of the homes behind it.  Show me 10 am,  show me 4 pm.   The photos of the buildings that were taken look touched up to make them appear darker too, seemingly to make the point that those homes already are dark, which is BS.  A boring design and some shady (pun intended) work done around the sun study and I am not optimistic at all about this. 

The sun study is BS. Thanks for showing the sun when it is at its highest point! It feels like this guy thinks we are idiots. 

There is stucco on the top floor in the elevations, but when you look at his DRB checklist, he only shows brick on the top floor. That feels mis-leading

This developer convinced the church to help him get his re-zoning before releasing any plans because he knew no one would support this use in this location. The church has done a dis-service to the neighborhood and the city as a whole. 

This wave of fast money developers, who build as cheaply as possible and sell as quickly as possible, is going to leave a bad stain on our downtown. Good for them for making their nickel, but it makes me sad that it is at the expense of all Greenville residents. 

Edited by gvegas12
  • Like 1

there is something to the Citgo rumor...

I'm doubtful.  The owners of that citgo also own the two lots behind it.  That would be a very large chunk of property.  Why wouldn't they sit on it?

Why would they sit on it? The market is hot and that convenience store can't be making too much money. It is just over an acre btw. 

In their defense, this project has a LOT more brick than 400 Rhett for example.  Also, if the project ever goes condo, the leasing office and 'yoga' room on Main could be converted. It also looks like a spot on  Rhett could be converted. Alsorenderings don't do any building justice.