1100 S. Main St Apartments (Pendleton Street Baptist Church)

vicupstate

I really hope people show up for the DRB meeting tonight and voice their concern about this project. A 400+ foot wall of residential units along Main Street will ruin the pedestrian experience and kill any chance for retail to expand down Main and onto Pendleton Street. The idea that the yoga room and fitness center could someday be converted to retail is foolish. Not only would the impact be small if it happened (that area is less than 1/3 of the street front), but it is also unlikely the residents would ever give up those amenities anyway!

This developer does not care about Greenville and I am sad that the church is letting him ruin the site for future generations. I don't know if the DRB has the power to stop this, but I certainly hope so.

• Like 1

I tried to go to the DRB meeting this evening to see how it went, but it was a big crowd and the meeting was delayed while to city tried to find seats for everyone.  I gave up and went across the street and got a beer instead!   Would be curious to know how it went.  Honestly, I think the new proposal wasn't all that bad, and that the DRB will likely approve it.  

People in that area see the writing on the wall. With the rising population in that part of town, it makes redevelopment of that area  inevitable and that's scaring some people.  In the Charlotte forum a member posted something referring to this, a clip from the show south park I saw yesterday , which kind of the hit on this. This is happening in most cities across the country. Matter of fact, mentioning Charlotte, I remember when they proposed the gateway development in uptown they heard the same kinds of comments. But none of the predictions of gloom and doom never materialized. What's going to happen is that some people are going to be realistic and some are not. Those folks who are not will sell or just move. With this one, these folks could not assume that that property would remain that way forever. And we all know what happens when we assume. 

No reason for the DRB not to approve this project. 400 Rhett and Link don't have retail spots. Why should this one be required to? 

Because it is on Main St. and is the connection to any future pedestrian oriented environment that Pendlleton Street may eventually develop.  It does directly abut SFR homes too. I was basically in favor of it but it is a reasonable debate.   

• Like 1

Because it is on Main St. and is the connection to any future pedestrian oriented environment that Pendlleton Street may eventually develop...

Getting commercial added to Perry/Main corner is a nice win for the city in this area.   I suspect a lot of the neighbors will like this after all said and done.  The back side of PSBC isn't exactly scenic.  I thought the developer did a fairly good job with the Rhett street streetscape, and will be an improvement.  

I wasn't talking about that I wish it had Retail as well but I don't understand how you can tell a business they have to have retail. It's their property and they can do what they want with it. It's a business not a social program. There are people that live in the houses close to the building that are complaining about the shade. And I have ground to stand on because I own a rental home that is having six townhomes built right up against my property and it's going to cause some of the same thing but it just is what it is when you live in the city. I grew up in the city so that kind of stuff just doesn't bother me. I think Greenville has a lot of people that never lived in the city before and they complain about things that are just part of city life. If you don't want the city life don't live in the city.

I wasn't talking about that I wish it had Retail as well but I don't understand how you can tell a business they have to have retail. It's their property and they can do what they want with it. It's a business not a social program. There are people that live in the houses close to the building that are complaining about the shade. And I have ground to stand on because I own a rental home that is having six townhomes built right up against my property and it's going to cause some of the same thing but it just is what it is when you live in the city. I grew up in the city so that kind of stuff just doesn't bother me. I think Greenville has a lot of people that never lived in the city before and they complain about things that are just part of city life. If you don't want the city life don't live in the city.

First, I own a rental home in that neighborhood, too. But I don't think that gives me any firmer ground to stand on or makes my opinion more important though. And no, you can't make a business have retail. But I fail to see your logic about residents desire for retail and street level business activity to a social program? 

We can agree to disagree, but I believe the city would have seen more value with retail / store front activity between Markley and Pendleton along Main St. And by value I mean taxes and spurring increased desire to live in West Rhett/Perry Ave. / Ware St. / Anderson St. / Mallard St. / Arlington St. and surrounding areas. Now, under the current plan, there will a 1/4 mile of nothing but parking and residential units along Main Street. This will be a deadzone of activity. It will not spur surrounding areas to develop. Accepting this as being okay demonstrates that the city was not concerned with extending Main Street activity up through Pendleton St. Do you think this type of project would have been allowed at the Greenville New site? Greenville lost the last .25 miles of valuable Main Street space. 

But being honest. Greenville's Main Street is an anomaly. Most places don't have miles and miles of store fronts lining one street. They're usually distributed out. 

Except for bigger cities like New York and Chicago. And we ain't that. 

Greenville currently has about a mile of Main Street development (Hyatt through the Stadium). Not "miles and miles" of store front. 

Correct, "we ain't" Chicago or New York. But that does not mean we could have finished the last .25 mile of Main Street in a better manner. 

No not having retail store fronts at camperdown wouldn't be acceptable because of it being in the heart of downtown. Your argument just don't make sense. That's a apples and oranges comparison. Some can't see the forest for the trees. My thing is this, we have to looking at the bigger picture. Rhett and Augusta are eventually going to be parallel extensions of main street. And with what's going on with the church property won't be the end of the world. 

No not having retail store fronts at camperdown wouldn't be acceptable because of it being in the heart of downtown. Your argument just don't make sense. That's a apples and oranges comparison. Some can't see the forest for the trees. My thing is this, we have to looking at the bigger picture. Rhett and Augusta are eventually going to be parallel extensions of main street. And with what's going on with the church property won't be the end of the world. 

At one point, not too long ago, Camperdown was certainly not considered "the heart of downtown." Rather, it was the extension of restaurants and retail along Main St. and down to the river (and beyond) that made Camperdown the valuable land that it is today. Agreed? I don't think it's apples and oranges. The bigger picture I see is that Main St., past the baseball stadium, will not see a revitalization ten years from now like Main St. past City Hall did beginning in the early 2000s. 

I see what you mean. But that's why I see development of the other streets happening. That's the pattern I see nothing else. 

At present we have more than enough land downtown to even think of wide scale growth beyond main street. Despite what I said before. Was trying to be optimistic. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
8 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

No, they are leveling the church, but I thought the Church was suppose to relocate to the corner first. 

Pendleton Street will maintain an office in the United Ministries building nearby and church services will be held in a local hotel while the demolition and construction of the apartments takes place. They will return to the 1.3 acres that they are holding onto, after the apartments and their new building is finished. 

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with these types of apartment buildings is not that they lack retail, but that they tend to lack active ground floor uses. Here in Charlotte the problem is exactly that. All of the apartment buildings (and there are quite a few) that are going up now have 2-3 floors of parking. The slightly better ones are "texas donut" style, meaning that the parking structure is surrounded by the apartments. Then the problem becomes that the units don't have entrances onto the street. The "active street front" makes or breaks the urban environment, not presence of retail. I don't know this part of Greenville that well, so I don't know if retail is appropriate here. What I can say is that here in Charlotte, the apartments that are going up are very low quality density for density's sake. They contribute nothing to the built environment and we're stuck with them for the foreseeable future. I hope that Greenville is able to get them to do something better.