The Edge (14 Floors)

victory

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wowzas :D more apartments coming to downtown. this is exciting. im surprised i didnt hear about this. Looks like Assembly st is finally going to start to get some more buildings to fill in those awful gaps. 

Question whatever happened to the that proposed high rise on Lady and Park? i really think that corner would of been a nice addition to the area. its to valuble to waste on a really small project.

I remain excited about the prospect of one or more apartment towers, rising 29 or so stories, per the Don Tomlin plan. I don't believe he has submitted his plans to the Design/Review Board yet, but some employees in the neighboring tower have seen a rendering, when Tomlin's folks were there explaining how it would not negatively impact their parking situation. 

I remain excited about the prospect of one or more apartment towers, rising 29 or so stories, per the Don Tomlin plan. I don't believe he has submitted his plans to the Design/Review Board yet, but some employees in the neighboring tower have seen a rendering, when Tomlin's folks were there explaining how it would not negatively impact their parking situation. 

I will say i see the Edge is taking up the responsibility of building their own garage for their residents on the lower floors

• 5 weeks later...

Columbia just made sense for Clayco Realty Group’s next big plan.

The Chicago-based developer expects to soon go before the city’s Design/Development Review Commission in search of approval for a 14-story, multi-family residential tower at the corner of Assembly and Washington streets. Though originally slated to meet Thursday afternoon, the company will likely push that back in order to address design concerns from the city staff.

But any delay likely won’t hamper the company’s interest in the Midlands.

“There’s a lot of things about Columbia and South Carolina just generally,” president Chris McKee said. “We look at sites all over for different components of our business. We identified Columbia mostly because of the growth the university had been on and, frankly, the city had been on in general.

“We like going to places where there’s a good growth trajectory and to be in places where there is increased population, and you have all the different cool things happening in the middle of the city.”

The site at 1401-1413 Assembly St. is the former location of the now-closed Angeline’s Beauty & Wig Salon. Before 1950 the building was part of “Black Downtown,” an area where African-American-owned professional offices and businesses were located, according to Historic Columbia.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56219-clayco-president-details-plans-for-assembly-street-residential-tower

The developer will certainly need to put more effort into architectural details. It could be a really fine structure, and continue to add to the urban density along Assembly. However, it baffles me that developers always low ball us on designs, and only spruce things up after the city shakes their finger at them. It's sort of like haggling..one starts low, the other high, and the final product lands somewhere in the middle.

On 11/13/2015, 7:15:04, victory said:

The developer will certainly need to put more effort into architectural details. It could be a really fine structure, and continue to add to the urban density along Assembly. However, it baffles me that developers always low ball us on designs, and only spruce things up after the city shakes their finger at them. It's sort of like haggling..one starts low, the other high, and the final product lands somewhere in the middle.

Yeah as it stands now this thing is UGLY.

• 4 weeks later...

A plan to bring a 14-story, multi-family residential tower to Assembly Street will remain on hold for at least another month.

The Edge, a $70 million investment planned for the corner of Assembly and Washington streets, has withdrawn its informational presentation at the city of Columbia’s Design/Development Review Commission meeting, scheduled for Thursday. More importantly, the deadline to apply for official project approval during the January meeting was today, and the apartment’s developer did not register, the city said.

Uh oh I hope the developer isnt getting cold feet or getting backlash from area people like what happened to teh Proposed Apartment on S main st. because this is a good area and great looking building design I hope they dont get pushed away and columbia loses out on yet another  downtown apartment tower.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56461-developer-postpones-presentation-for-high-rise-apartment-project

9 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

Yeah it's not particularly good looking. People aren't opposed to the size or location; rather, they hate the soviet looking facade. That shouldn't be a difficult fix to be honest. Throw some texture on it.

Soviet looking facade is a great way to describe it. There are other examples of this in Cola, so we don't need any more. :)

7 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Given the higher cost of going so tall and the lack of the tax credit, it would seem their rents would be higher. I guess that is why they are targeting the post-college crowd. As far as the design goes, they need to just start over on the exterior.  

I dont know why but I actually like the design it seems futuristic. i see a lot of buildings like these in NYC now also in The Northwest.

Show me a picture of one building that looks like that in the Northeast. To me it looks like a 1960s motel on steroids that decided to comply with North Korean architectural guidelines. It's not sleek and modern to have oddly placed windows. The massing of the building is boring and unarticulated. The colors are grey and white. It looks like they are taking their architectural ques from the back side of the library.

It does have the weird multi-floor "frame" around floors 2-4. That's an incredibly popular design trend these days.

21 hours ago, Spartan said:

Show me a picture of one building that looks like that in the Northeast. To me it looks like a 1960s motel on steroids that decided to comply with North Korean architectural guidelines. It's not sleek and modern to have oddly placed windows. The massing of the building is boring and unarticulated. The colors are grey and white. It looks like they are taking their architectural ques from the back side of the library.

It does have the weird multi-floor "frame" around floors 2-4. That's an incredibly popular design trend these days.

yall crazy I think it looks beautiful i love that design, i hope they dont go to a super classy like 1800's that would ruin it, completely.

i like its current design i dont see why everyone hates it so much

The window framing technique stems from Chelsea Nouvel, a condo building visible from the Highline and therefore at the forefront of many architect's minds.

http://terrancesullivan.tumblr.com/post/12806678098/inspiration-jean-nouvel-chelsea-residences-new

The problem is Nouvel was able to execute in such a way so as not to make the overall effect tacky. Much like anything off the rack will be a watered down version of a runway look, an architect building an apartment building in Columbia, SC will not be able to carry out the level of architectual technique required to make the window scattering device anything other than militaristic, if not ugly. I like that they are aiming for something unique and different, but this design is a miss.

Archived