Warner Building/Hyatt Place - Lyon and Ottawa/Pearl and Ottawa

mpchicago

It's a game-changer!

Concept Design has been selected as the lead architect for the project

Well, crap.

Concept Design is the lead architect :o  Let's hope we don't see another open parking deck at this prominent location!  

Given that Orion+Concept is the same combo that's doing Arena Place, I'd place a wager on another bunch of hideous exposed parking layers.

Edited by organsnyder

The article says that they have been working on a concept for this site for over a year!  I'm sure there are preliminary renderings out there somewhere....

Also, Jim Harger states "the towers - between 14 and 17 stories high"....so it looks like 2 separate towers?

Edited by mpchicago

More space in the 5/3 building now.  The taller of the 2 5/3 buildings will need to find new tenants or possibly move all of their employees from smaller building.  That corner building of 5/3's could be a hot commodity.

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 1.35.14 PM.png

Edited by ctpgr34

It's a game-changer!

Well, crap.

Given that Orion+Concept is the same combo that's doing Arena Place, I'd place a wager on another bunch of hideous exposed parking layers.

Two outfits that have proven themselves to be utterly incompetent at decent urban design of late (in my opinion).  Crap.  It's pretty much guaranteed to look ugly, trendy, and cheap.  And it's a pointlessly stupid project, to boot.  It isn't growth, it's just tenant shuffling.  I for one hope this project dies on the vine.  A different architect or a big, new tenant and I might start caring again and wish it well.  What ever happened to the Concept Design that proposed the tower for this site a decade ago?  Has that sort of design talent all left the building?

I thought it was a joke when I saw the title. I'm excited. More infill. I'd like to see Concept Design change up their playbook a bit, especially as it pertains to parking but I'm excited nonetheless. We haven't seen it so I think the verdict is out on whether we should chase them out of town with torches and pitchforks.

Joe

Sigh. I wanted a high rise on that location. Arena Place 2.0 here we come

They do say there will be "plentiful parking" with this project so you should probably assume at least 5 or 6 floors of parking garage, with 16 and 17 story towers on top, with one floor retail. We might be looking at close to 300 feet on the commercial building (commercial floors are usually a bit taller than residential.

My money is on the commercial building fronting Lyon, since a law firm won't really mind looking out on a courthouse. The residential will probably be on the Ottawa/Pearl corner, with nice views down both corridors. 

I do sincerely hope they consider the historic architecture of that area and respect it with mostly enclosed parking. Imagine staying at the new hotel in the Waters Building and looking right out at a bunch of cars, or from the new Start Garden location. 

22486950667_9bd9929a9e_b.jpg

22284388203_cf0a6d848f_c.jpg

22487223618_e3d6c47f00_c.jpg

Edited by GRDadof3

More space in the 5/3 building now.  The taller of the 2 5/3 buildings will need to find new tenants or possibly move all of their employees from smaller building.  That corner building of 5/3's could be a hot commodity.

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 1.35.14 PM.png

Does 5/3 still have some suburban office space?  Maybe they could move them downtown? OR maybe Cincinnati would be interested in moving some ops to GR?  :D

Edited by mpchicago

Yeah I can see this happening if they already have an anchor tenant.  I'm holding my breath that Orion doesn't replicate their value engineering at Arena Place.   Perhaps the city will hold them to a more responsible design at that corner at least.   I'm start to get concerned about the rapid number of apartment announcements we are seeing.  We've got to be pushing 3k apartments in the works, and while im sure more than a few of these proposals won't come to fruition, I don't see how there could be this many young professionals and others clamoring to pay $1500-$2000 to live downtown.  That is unless John Wheeler and company know something we don't.

How many midrise projects are we up to? 

2 underconstruction 5 others proposed?

Edited by MJLO

It would be cool to get more height on the skyline.  However let's hope that when that happens, it's inline with the surroundings.  If you've been through Oklahoma City in the last few years and seen the skyline with the ridiculously out of place Devon Tower you'd swear the whole state was overcompensating. 

It would be cool to get more height on the skyline.  However let's hope that when that happens, it's inline with the surroundings.  If you've been through Oklahoma City in the last few years and seen the skyline with the ridiculously out of place Devon Tower you'd swear the whole state was overcompensating. 

Des Moines is like that as well even though both their tallest and OKC's are pretty nice towers.

Agreed!  That Devon Tower looks ridiculously out of place, as if the city woke up with "morning wood" or something. 

Who knows, maybe Orion will land a couple of more larger tenants (hopefully ones from the suburbs and not reshuffling downtown tenants) and go higher with the office portion. Spectrum keeps gobbling up more and more space and in two years may need more. 

More wire frames, because that's what I do. lol. At 16 or 17 floors, it's just about the same size as Bridgewater and the JW. I just hope it's cool looking. I do like the style of glass they're putting on the Arena Place office portion. 

22906456642_81732c045c_b.jpg

Edited by GRDadof3

Does 5/3 still have some suburban office space?  Maybe they could move them downtown? OR maybe Cincinnati would be interested in moving some ops to GR?  :D

That's an interesting idea. That 5 story Fifth Third building needs to go, grossly inefficient for a downtown area. 

That with the other 5/3 lot would make a great spot for my mall idea. It's right across the street from the convention center and AGP.  And 5/3 could consolidate people from their East Paris campus out in Cascade. 

Bam. 

22931491981_25cdd25ff6_b.jpg

Might as well bridge across the street to the Ellis lot while you're at it. 

22920410415_eb3be284d9_b.jpg

Edited by GRDadof3

So they are telling us 14-17 stories. Its grand rapids talk that means 12 lol.. I am Starting to get exited for this though. So many proposals! 

They said one is going to be 16 and the other 17 stories, on top of parking on top of ground floor retail. Bridgewater is 18 floors (272 ft). JW is 25 but it's a tad shorter because of lower ceiling heights in a hotel at 256 ft.

Edited by GRDadof3