Atherton Mill Redevelopment

archiham04

19 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

With the market staying, this project is huge and transformative for South End. When I've visited, Atherton Market wasn't busy but with this development hopefully it will improve flow to the market and maybe entice more businesses to have a stall. 

It would be better if there could be a LRT stop right next to Atherton, but with East/West Blvd. being quite close I guess it doesn't matter. But out of curiosity, could CATS build a station to Atherton or would it be too close to East/West? 

EDIT- I like the idea of having a station behind Sycamore Brewery, very close to Atherton, not that close to East/West but very close to one of my favorite breweries in CLT.

EDIT2- Thanks SouthEndCLT811 for your post. I just assumed it was to show that the Blue Line runs there. I would love to see another station near Atherton, is there a possibility we could actually see a new station?  

Theres a eventual plan for a station around the publix/southline apartments area.

4 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

Any timeline? Planned construction and opening? Thanks for all your knowledge on UP, it's really insightful and I appreciate it. 

No timeline, but its been discussed in (SENA) South End Neighborhood Association meetings. Mostly it has been brought up because of the lack of pedestrian connection between the apartments on the west side of the tracks with Publix and all the other places. Currently you have to walk over a mile to reach publix, which you can see from 100 feet away. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

We should've known when the renderings came out that it was too good to be true.

It should still turn out decent, and it'll be a catalyst for the area and thats what's important. If it was ugly and did nothing for the vibrancy of the neighborhood that'd be one thing. But the fact is its decent looking for the most part and will provide the neighborhood with a new "town center" and center of gravity.

I gladly welcome dining but I think Retail is now more needed.

See the bulk of the tenants signed there lately. Anthro, Warby Parker, Alton Lane, etc. they care about retail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With a stop light at Remount, Iverson, McDonald, Tremont, Park and then Bland (6 in 1.2 miles per GoogleMap) perhaps this will improve the racetrack effect on South. They will have to synchronize lights for rush hour but not so after those hours. Will there be another light at Caldwell and South when the new development is open?

19 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Not really sure how great it’s going to be to stroll South Blvd from Store to Store with all those cars flying by 

Particularly with a-holes like this..  

Greg Wheeling

Prosecutors say Greg Wheeling, 32, was legally drunk and speeding when his high-powered Audi struck and killed pedestrian Kelli Putnam following a 2017 Panthers’ playoff game. A jury Tuesday convicted him of second-degree murder
Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office

When the playoff game ended and his group was about to leave the bar, Wheeling begrudgingly gave his keys to a designated driver, Ashley Campbell, for the ride to drop off friends at the I-485 light-rail station, Campbell testified. But as Campbell drove, Wheeling pushed down on her right knee to compress the car’s accelerator and make the car go faster, she said.

“He said, ‘Kick it. Give it what you got. Feel what it can do,’ ” Campbell, a registered nurse and one of the six people in the Audi S4 that day, told the jury. “It made me super uncomfortable. I just said, ‘Stop.’ I think he was aggravated at me.”

When the group pulled into the Shell station at East and South boulevards for a bathroom stop, Josh Siff, Campbell’s date that day, said Wheeling ordered Campbell to turn over his keys.

“I’m going to drive my own f---ing car,” Wheeling said, according to Siff.

Wheeling then pulled back onto South Boulevard and accelerated. Soon, Siff and Campbell testified, the Audi was traveling at 60 mph or more as Wheeling swerved in and around game-day traffic. The speed limit on South Boulevard is 35.

Siff testified that as he turned to look out his side window because he was so disturbed by Wheeling’s driving, he saw a woman dressed in black appear on the sidewalk. Then there was a crash.

According to WBTV, an Observer news partner, Putnam’s boyfriend Bronsyn Stewart said her body was thrown high into the air before it hit the ground and began tumbling along the road – winding up almost 65 yards from where she had been struck.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...