• 1 year later...

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

City Hall repairs carry $2.5 mm price tag

I wish the city would get creative and put out an RFP on this building. 

The marble is ugly and monolithic to begin with.  How can the water issues be solved by only replacing the bottom portion? The HVAC and elevators will require more money on top of that.

The building has small floor plates which are inefficient. The Mayor has always wanted a first floor Chamber, which is quite logical. 

See what the market will pay for the building and spend the proceeds on something new elsewhere [County Square works for me].  In addition to the sale proceeds, you save the $2.5mm plus whatever the other repairs cost.    

Hell, put up something iconic at the Gateway site, it's not like anything else is ever going to go there.  It's a shame that left public hands. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:46 PM, gman430 said:

What the??? A new tallest??? Where??? http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/asklafleur/2017/11/28/ask-lafleur-height-restrictions-downtown-greenville-sc/897642001/ :o Somebody found out which architectural studio this is. 

Sorry, I'm a little late finding out about this forum. I'm the one that asked Lafleur this question a while back. It was SGA Architecture that I walked past on East North Street downtown. I don't know if it was/is a building  being planned for downtown Greenville, but the concept was definitely in Greenville. I want to say somewhere around Camperdown Way (not the camperdown development). 

• 11 months later...
39 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

I think sometime 1-2 years ago we had 5 at one time.

For which projects? The max I remember is three. 

Edit: I went back and looked and yes the max is three. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
16 minutes ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

Looking at the pics above, the area around Bouharoun's on this side of Camperdown is so ripe for some infill. 

Yeah, it is kind of strange it hasn't happened yet, but with Camperdown completing, it will probably do so.  There aren't  numerous property owners involved either.   

1 hour ago, Exile said:

I'm surprised that the Bowater building didn't spur any subsequent development down there. I haven't been in it in over 20 years, but it was Class A when it was built.

Better late than never, though.

For years the Post Office leased those warehouse looking buildings down there.  Until they were gone, it wasn't even an option. They have been gone for quite a few years though. 

I think as long as Main Street wasn't maxed out, there wasn't a lot of appeal. Plus until the Gville News plant left, it was facing a blank wall essentially.   

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Yeah, it is kind of strange it hasn't happened yet, but with Camperdown completing, it will probably do so.  There aren't  numerous property owners involved either.   

Not only Camperdown, but when the Grand Bohemian is complete and all the streetscape projects and Falls Park improvements are done this is going to be a very desirable location. Perhaps the most desirable in all of downtown.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SVL said:

Not only Camperdown, but when the Grand Bohemian is complete and all the streetscape projects and Falls Park improvements are done this is going to be a very desirable location. Perhaps the most desirable in all of downtown.

It is a nice quiet little pocket of downtown. Would be a great area for residential developments. 

1 hour ago, SVL said:

Agree about residential. Some height would be nice here.

Isnt this the spot where the city wants to have their innovation/tech center?  This could be a great spot for a corporate hq/campus as well mixed with some residential retail restaurants that urban target we need....

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

Isnt this the spot where the city wants to have their innovation/tech center?  This could be a great spot for a corporate hq/campus as well mixed with some residential retail restaurants that urban target we need....

Exactly, the City is already planning what it wants to do this District. It would be nice to have a tech incubator of some kind there.