NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

Ah, I remember hearing about this now. A music district. While I'm not a fan of artsy stuff, I think it might have potential if it heads in the right direction. I don't think having studios and repair shops will make it succeed. He needs to focus more on music venues where people can go and listen to bands play. Something like Tremont or Coyote Joe's where people can go and listen to live music isn't really present uptown. I'm still hesitant though to have an entire "district" dedicated just to that. Kinda like putting all your eggs in one basket.

Amen. Noah was dumb to buy that property without getting assurances that he could cut a new road. There is only one way in, and one way out, and it is a narrow road over some railroad tracks. It's so far removed from the core and isolated via the cemetary it might as well be across 277.

I don't see anything other than production facilities moving in there. House of Blues would take one look at the location and go elsewhere.

Now, his idea of an amphitheatre might work if he can get more access into the site.

He is getting more access, but it's not ideal. The city (or state) is going to cut a new road from Graham St., but the catch is that the new street will start north of I-277 and come back under the interstate along the rail tracks.......so basically to get to the property you would have to leave uptown and then come back in.....not exactly a perfect solution.

I've enjoyed city fest ever ... it sucks to see it go

But since its gone I really hope the guy gets what ever project he wants off the ground and soon.

Does any one have any information about what he wants to do and where? I've never heard of this guy other than just minor details here and there.

I was suprised to read in the paper that Cityfest only dated back to 1998. I could have sworn it used to be called Springfest and went back MUCH farther in time. As a kid (probably early 90's) I remember going uptown with my family and seeing more of an artsy festival with a bunch of half-naked tatooed freaks :D I don't really remember much in the way of music but then the observer did mention its theme had shifted away from art. Hmmm, does anybody remember this older festival that I'm talking about?

While I'm at it... does anybody remember the old Stumptown festival in Matthews? I think they used to have a ferris wheel but I'm not terribly sure on that (because I was really really young then). Now its called something really stupid like Matthews Alive. (sorry I got off on a tangent here)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The current access crosses the tracks at 9th St. and will be closed when the new rail corridor goes in. (though there is a chace pedestrian access via a bridge over the tracks will be added)

The new road is the Seaboard St. extension under 277 to Graham St.

To access the site you will have to go north on Graham under 277 (leaving Uptown) and then make a left onto the Seabord St. extension that will go back under 277 to get to this complex.......sound confusing? It will be. There is access into the Greenville Community via Hamilton St., or if you are patient, you can find your way through the maze of roads at Elmwood.

The current access crosses the tracks at 9th St. and will be closed when the new rail corridor goes in. (though there is a chace pedestrian access via a bridge over the tracks will be added)

The new road is the Seaboard St. extension under 277 to Graham St.

To access the site you will have to go north on Graham under 277 (leaving Uptown) and then make a left onto the Seabord St. extension that will go back under 277 to get to this complex.......sound confusing?  It will be.  There is access into the Greenville Community via Hamilton St., or if you are patient, you can find your way through the maze of roads at Elmwood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I reviewed their plans for the Seaboard Street Extension and they are truly amazing! The new road is going to be 4 lanes coming off Graham Street just a few hundred yards from the I-277 on/off ramp. It will not be confusing at all! The Seaboard Street extension will have duel rights out onto Graham Street and a dedicated left into Seaboard Street with a full stop light at the Graham/Seaboard Street intersection. In addition the 4 lanes will be split apart in the beginning, like the entrance to the Peninsula and the entrance to Disney World, and have signage in the middle identifying the "Uptown Village" & "NC Music Factory". This area is getting ready to explode. I am looking at houses in Greenville Neighborhood as I think property values will increase there at a rapid pace.

Well.....I didn't mean technically confusing, I meant more intuitively confusing since the only way to access this Uptown property in the future will be to leave uptown first.....but anyway.....

If you're buying in Greenville, I suggest making sure you don't end up with a Habitat house that I worked on.....I have reason to believe that I am responsible for many structurally unsound homes across the city :huh::blush:;)

Edited by atlrvr

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this great project being developed...and without city money!!

The NC Music Factory Campus encompasses 30 acres of land with 270,000 sq. feet of existing buildings located in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. The site is located in the historic Fourth Ward area immediately adjacent to the Charlotte central business district, one of the most dynamic urban centers in the Southeast. The historic buildings at NC Music Factory are being restored to their original historic character and many of the tenant spaces include beautiful brick walls and hardwood floors. The development plan calls for the establishment of North Carolina's first all encompassing multi-use arts and entertainment district. When complete the development will include many restaurants, nightclubs, galleries and other arts and entertainment users as well as affordable residential. Many of the establishments will have individual outdoor patios and courtyards.

Imagine Beal Street of Memphis, SoHo of NY, Deep Ellum of Dallas, Buckhead of Atlanta or Ebor City of Tampa, all Uptown Charlotte, tied together by major themed special events. Its all in one location, it all Uptown, the new North Carolina Music Factory - Redefining Charlotte Entertainment!

NC Music Factory

Where exactly is this? And what's the history behind the NC Music Factory? I'm not sure I've seen this site before. Thanks. The rebdering is very nice. That's a place I'll definitely go when it opens.

P.S. It'll be like Ybor City? Will the Music factory come with roving bands of boob groping frat boys as well??? I'm only kidding. My husband is from Tampa, so I'm allowed to bash it being in the family and all. :)

Where exactly is this? And what's the history behind the NC Music Factory? I'm not sure I've seen this site before. Thanks. The rebdering is very nice. That's a place I'll definitely go when it opens.

P.S. It'll be like Ybor City? Will the Music factory come with roving bands of boob groping frat boys as well??? I'm only kidding. My husband is from Tampa, so I'm allowed to bash it being in the family and all. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Near 10th Street and Graham behind the Circle K.

I am very interested in this project and I hope it sees light soon. I know the Illusions Club will be opening soon. I hope the bands that play there are more local and less Clear Channel type acts, which should deffer those boob grabing frat boys. And please no tribute type cover bands.

Near 10th Street and Graham behind the Circle K.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have seen it. We're hoping to buy a house in that neighborhood. You know, the little "urban enclave" with the fountain? I fell in love with that area when I first saw it. Very pedestrian friendly. I would be within walking distance of the NC Music Factory. I'm really excited about this project.