NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

looks awesome! but are those stands still unfinished? i also hope that the fence will be dropped down in front of the stage during a show, there are lots of things about a layout that could potentially damage the experience but its impossible to tell without going.

as for the beer prices, i'm not surprised. i was at the Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction show last night at Verizon and 24oz Buds were $11. needless to say i just won't drink at these shows. i would hope alcohol flows a little more freely in the Fillmore, but at least there will be adjacent bars if not. btw the nin/ja show was stellar, but way too short due to the 11pm noise curfew. will there be one here as well?

i'd like to go see Govt Mule there in July, but already heading to Nashville the next day for another show puts that in jeopardy...

I believe Wolfgang Puck Catering is doing concessions for both Live Nation venues - the amphitheater and the Fillmore. On Friday there were still finishing some white stands in the seating area. They look like they are either for video cameras or spotlights. I believe the rails along the stage can be removed, but I'm not entirely sure. If Buds were $11 for a 24 oz. at Verizon, the it seems prices are not too much cheaper here, with 24 oz. Michelob Ultra or Shock Top at $10.

as for the beer prices, i'm not surprised. i was at the Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction show last night at Verizon and 24oz Buds were $11. needless to say i just won't drink at these shows. i would hope alcohol flows a little more freely in the Fillmore, but at least there will be adjacent bars if not. btw the nin/ja show was stellar, but way too short due to the 11pm noise curfew. will there be one here as well?

NIN was awesome -- we were there as well. I do wish they would have played after Jane's Addiction though. The prices in these places are absurd, dissappointed to hear they'll be raping and pillaging at NCMF Ampitheatre as well. It definitely keeps us only going to shows we really want to see as opposed to going to some of the ones we can get free tix to.

Edited by Charlotte_native

So, here's my review of the NC Music Factory from last night's The Fray show...

1) Road access: Overall I think the access to the venue isn't bad. There was a lot of confusion getting there though b/c the road that was built didn't show up in Google maps or GPS. The directions that you got to get there were wrong as a result so the police had to direct a lot of people which probably irritated some. I think they can set up some shuttles to get people in and out if they wanted to. That would probably alleviate some of the confusion too.

2) The complex itself is pretty awesome. There was a neat water fountain sculpture (I think its in some of the web site pictures) at the main entrance. The parking lot is to the side of the complex. They could probably benefit from numbering the aisles. The Fillmore is visible from the outside too. It's got a cool old-town Las Vegas light signage on the outside.

3) The amphitheater: They did a neat job of retrofitting the amphitheater in between the old textile buildings. It definitely gives it a neat intimate and industrial feel, something that's lacking in most of uptown Charlotte. Off to the left is the Charlotte skyline. You can see the BofA building, Hearst, Vue (under construction) and the new Duke Energy Center. We had lawn seats and my only gripe was that you had a hard time seeing over the white tent that covered the sound board in the middle. Though, I already heard they will fix this before the next show. They said the show sold out with 5,000 people. It felt much more like 6,000 or 7,000 people were there. It was slammed packed. Even though we were up on the lawn you can see the band up close. Definitely not like Verizon Wireless Amphitheater where the bands can at times look like dots.

4) Concessions: This was my other gripe. Food and beer was way over priced (which I think has been mentioned by other posters). 24 oz bud lights were $11. So needless to say we didn't drink too much either, which isn't a bad thing. We had dinner at Press before the show so we didn't need to eat anything while we were there. The good thing about the concessions area though is that it's big enough were people can socialize the whole time and you can still see the band. A lot of people were hanging over the guard rails for the show. The other thing I did notice was that there were not wristbands for people over 21. So getting a beer there probably isn't too hard for underage people. I would imagine this will change in the future.

So, overall I really dug this place. It's something that's been missing in Charlotte and I think it will do well. There will be a lot of cool bands that will come here and to the Fillmore that normally would just go to Asheville or Chapel Hill. Once the other clubs and restaurants open, it will only get better. I think they need to designate an area for cabs to pick up/drop off people. Also, a shuttle from one of the light rail stations may not be a bad idea either. Especially for a big show like The Fray, who though I didn't mention it were REALLY good. I already plan on going to see the Black Crowes at the Fillmore in Sept. Would also like to see some of the other bands as well that they have slated... Sorry I didn't have any pictures. I actually tried taking a few but my celphone camera didn't really cooperate very well :(

So, here's my review of the NC Music Factory from last night's The Fray show...

1) Road access: Overall I think the access to the venue isn't bad. There was a lot of confusion getting there though b/c the road that was built didn't show up in Google maps or GPS. The directions that you got to get there were wrong as a result so the police had to direct a lot of people which probably irritated some. I think they can set up some shuttles to get people in and out if they wanted to. That would probably alleviate some of the confusion too.

2) The complex itself is pretty awesome. There was a neat water fountain sculpture (I think its in some of the web site pictures) at the main entrance. The parking lot is to the side of the complex. They could probably benefit from numbering the aisles. The Fillmore is visible from the outside too. It's got a cool old-town Las Vegas light signage on the outside.

3) The amphitheater: They did a neat job of retrofitting the amphitheater in between the old textile buildings. It definitely gives it a neat intimate and industrial feel, something that's lacking in most of uptown Charlotte. Off to the left is the Charlotte skyline. You can see the BofA building, Hearst, Vue (under construction) and the new Duke Energy Center. We had lawn seats and my only gripe was that you had a hard time seeing over the white tent that covered the sound board in the middle. Though, I already heard they will fix this before the next show. They said the show sold out with 5,000 people. It felt much more like 6,000 or 7,000 people were there. It was slammed packed. Even though we were up on the lawn you can see the band up close. Definitely not like Verizon Wireless Amphitheater where the bands can at times look like dots.

4) Concessions: This was my other gripe. Food and beer was way over priced (which I think has been mentioned by other posters). 24 oz bud lights were $11. So needless to say we didn't drink too much either, which isn't a bad thing. We had dinner at Press before the show so we didn't need to eat anything while we were there. The good thing about the concessions area though is that it's big enough were people can socialize the whole time and you can still see the band. A lot of people were hanging over the guard rails for the show. The other thing I did notice was that there were not wristbands for people over 21. So getting a beer there probably isn't too hard for underage people. I would imagine this will change in the future.

So, overall I really dug this place. It's something that's been missing in Charlotte and I think it will do well. There will be a lot of cool bands that will come here and to the Fillmore that normally would just go to Asheville or Chapel Hill. Once the other clubs and restaurants open, it will only get better. I think they need to designate an area for cabs to pick up/drop off people. Also, a shuttle from one of the light rail stations may not be a bad idea either. Especially for a big show like The Fray, who though I didn't mention it were REALLY good. I already plan on going to see the Black Crowes at the Fillmore in Sept. Would also like to see some of the other bands as well that they have slated... Sorry I didn't have any pictures. I actually tried taking a few but my celphone camera didn't really cooperate very well :(

It sounds like you pretty much agree with what I read in the Observer today. Sounds like a good start for this place.

I had a tour today of the Fillmore Charlotte. Wow! What a great venue! They really did a great job--lighting, acoustics, restrooms, dressing/green rooms, concessions. Great sightlines from virtually every possible seating/standing area, and all in a very attractive space (chandeliers, heavy drapes, hardwood floors, etc). All done first class. I can't wait to see a show there.

Pictures are from my iPhone (lousy), but I think you can get the gist.

3633746026_80ca17e4ff_b.jpg

3633741598_69dd2173b0_b.jpg

3632931705_f0a999e35c_b.jpg

Edited by Miesian Corners

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I guess didn't realize that when I posted the pic... The parking lot wasn't even completely fully for a sold out The Fray show, so I'd imagine they could redevelop those lots at some point. Unfortunately parking is a reality for the foreseeable future until a transit alternative is available (besides taxis).

A couple of observations from driving past the massive parking lot this past weekend.

It looks like the lot will be there for quite some time. There is a considerable amount planting beds with decently sized tree saplings planted throughout the gravel lot. Gives it some order and potential shade, 20 years down the road. Hope not.

Also, there is a Diner that has been placed on the front side of the parking lot directly across the street from the ticket office and Filmore entrance. It is one of those old looking stainless stealing dining car type diners, pretty much a fancy double wide. I think I remember seeing a sign about opening soon.

Without much life out there, it is hard to imagine much business at this point.

I am very wait and see on this whole project. I have been impressed so far as the amount that has been delivered without much hype.

most of that parking area is to be developed in phase 2, of course thats probably way off at this point.

and its hard to whine about the placement of a graveyard, but that picture makes me really wish Elmwood Cemetary wasn't there. it would be amazing if that whole area were filled in and NCMF connected to gateway.

and its hard to whine about the placement of a graveyard, but that picture makes me really wish Elmwood Cemetary wasn't there. it would be amazing if that whole area were filled in and NCMF connected to gateway.

Give it some time, nothing is sacred in this town. I do wish that possibly a connector road could be built along one of the cemetery's small roads.

I don't honestly see how a diner will fair well during non-event days. If they are 24 hour, then they could pick up some foot traffic from the night club crowd, but that's hardly enough to stay in business IMO.

• 2 months later...

I went to the Fillmore to see Down last weekend (as many concerts as I go to I haven't been to a metal show in years, so I was psyched for that).

The bad: Livenation absolutely murders you with fees. A $25 ticket winds up being $38. Drink prices are outrageous, though not as bad as the amphitheater.

The good: everything else. One of the most beautiful club-size venues I've ever been to...the pictures above do it some justice, but its still more impressive in person. There are 4 or 5 bars so even though they're expensive, they're very fast and convenient. You have a good view anywhere in the place, and the acoustics were fantastic from the middle at least. The house lighting setup is well above average.

It was interesting leaving, as the crowd of metalheads mixed a little with the upscale nightlife crowd at Halo (which seems to be doing VERY well). Lots of amusing dirty looks :)

Edited by nonillogical

I just noticed there are signs on Statesville Ave. directing people to the "back" entrance of the NCMF. See, there isn't just one way in and out.

Do you ever think that it will be popular to walk from say the Epicentre to NCMF? I hope the place does wonderfully, but shuttle service or bus service is going to be a factor. It would be great to go to the NCMF, party, and walk to a hotel for a party weekend.

It's kind of crazy how NCMF is technically located in Uptown, within the loop, but has to be accessed just outside the loop off Graham. Was trying to ride by and check it out today and had no clue how to do so; came back home and checked out the map and that's when I discovered that. A bit crazy.

It's better than driving up to Verizon Amphitheater. I've skipped many concerts just because I didn't want to deal with driving in/out of there.

I agree, as this project gets more successful, I see shuttles happening. So far, it seems like it is doing well. The only issue is that a lot of people's Car Navigation Systems don't know about Seaboard Street Extensions yet, so their cars are still trying to navigate them through 9th and 11th around the ADM mill. They've had signs up on weekends, but I suspect a lot of people still do it by mistake anyway.

I agree, as this project gets more successful, I see shuttles happening. So far, it seems like it is doing well. The only issue is that a lot of people's Car Navigation Systems don't know about Seaboard Street Extensions yet, so their cars are still trying to navigate them through 9th and 11th around the ADM mill. They've had signs up on weekends, but I suspect a lot of people still do it by mistake anyway.

I don't know why Lazar doesn't build a giant monument that is visible from uptown at the entrance on Graham & Seaboard. The only complaints I've heard about the Music Factory is that "you can't get there from here."

It's better than driving up to Verizon Amphitheater. I've skipped many concerts just because I didn't want to deal with driving in/out of there.

This is why we never go to shows there. Traffic just makes it not worth it. Now that I've been to and seen the NCMF ampitheatre I look forward to seeing some shows again. Big downside to this, no different that Verizon, for us is the outrageous beer and drink prices. I think we'd go often to see random shows if it weren't going to cost $50 for 5 beers.

This is why we never go to shows there. Traffic just makes it not worth it. Now that I've been to and seen the NCMF ampitheatre I look forward to seeing some shows again. Big downside to this, no different that Verizon, for us is the outrageous beer and drink prices. I think we'd go often to see random shows if it weren't going to cost $50 for 5 beers.

Hopefully $50 dollars would be for premium beer like Stella and not bud light? Still, that is worse that the $4.oo each I pay at some bars.

Hopefully $50 dollars would be for premium beer like Stella and not bud light? Still, that is worse that the $4.oo each I pay at some bars.

I have paid 8-10 dollars at bars in midtown manhattan for a Pint of Coors Light. And thats without a great concert, could be worse guys. ( I don't hang out in midtown because of this though)