NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

This is the one area inside the loop that I've been wondering why there haven't been more apartment proposals... Seems like a no brainer. Especially if you're more into the music scene (Fillmore, Ampitheater, rehearsal studios, etc) than the 25 and under frat scene of the Epicentre.

It sucks it's so seperated from the rest of uptown. Not to sound insensitive by any means but that graveyard takes up so much room. I wish it were an extension of the rest of 4th ward with big homes, block by block.

I really wish they would light that graveyard better and keep it open at all hours. It makes Music Factory walkable from 3rd and 4th wards. Walking down Graham and then down Music Factory Blvd is not something most people are going to be willing to do.

In other random news... I was told recently the Lazes' turned down Top Golf who desperately pursued the land on the backside of the parking lot. 

Top Golf is incredible. I hadn't been until after I heard this news. It's a bummer, but I understand the logic of banking land for more urban uses.

That would have been a really great location for it, but I think they typically take 12 acres, so very understandable that Lazes didn't want to give up the entire remaining land for one user. 

I'd be completely content with the plant getting raised, and for some road connections from 4th Ward to Music Factory Blvd.

Everyone would be.   The road connection was there before the current boulevard was built, and the building of it was the definitive solution and they will not be reconnecting the Johnston-9th connection because it adds crossings to a the railroad and it is a very complicated area.

They wanted a road that stayed uptown for reasons, but were left with what they got to avoid the the hyper-sensitive cemetery stakeholders, the long term plans for the railroads and the freeway, and to not disrupt the mill that processes much of the flour we have all ingested over our time in the city.  

We even gave up hundreds of millions in stimulus money to solve freight railroad congestion (far more significant a concern that shaving 1 minute off of a drive to nightlife) because ADM was so hard to work around and so expensive to move. 

I really wish they would light that graveyard better and keep it open at all hours. It makes Music Factory walkable from 3rd and 4th wards. Walking down Graham and then down Music Factory Blvd is not something most people are going to be willing to do.

I live in a different area, but I have definitely walked that and had no issue, but this artsy improvement to the underside of the freeway bridge is partly to help it feel safer.  Walking through the cemetery to 3rd Ward and Gateway makes a ton of sense, but it is far less safe.  And the lighting to improve the safety then falls in the catch 22 that cemetery stakeholders do not want partiers to walk through the cemetery after a night out.  

• 1 month later...

AvidXchange finally scheduled the Presubmit for their Headquarters building. 

Not much details. 

Hamilton Street Office Development
Demolition of existing asphalt, trees, and site lighting. Construction of proposed 100,000 sf office building with parking deck and underground detention with water quality buyout option

I know they have plans for a second building on the horizon. I Just hope that this building is treated in an urban manner, and has eyes towards the future. I'm assuming we will get a glassy building very visible from the highway with the AvidXchange logo on top. The submitting architect is bloc-nc. They are okay, pretty generic work.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Plans were approved (and now visible on Accela) for the apartment complex going in at 606 NC Music Factory blvd. I hope this project spurs some connectivity between NCMF and uptown. Looks like it will have some interesting features. Bunch of specs at the end put I put a few here. 205 units

post-29263-0-27647700-1429217335_thumb.p

post-29263-0-99633300-1429217342_thumb.p

post-29263-0-67249100-1429217447_thumb.p

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 2

Nice. I'm actually pretty excited about this project just for the simple fact that it makes the walk from Uptown to Music Factory less scary. It's not scary to me, but it is to other people.

I don't think that "scared" is the best description. I am uncomfortable walking in that area as I like to be aware of my surroundings and drinking impairs that ability.  I have known murders to take place in the cemetery and surrounding area over the decades and there is never a lack o precarious individuals roaming around.  What ever happened to the shuttle between uptown and the NCMF?  Would a pedestrian bridge with security cameras to Graham St. near the new construction ever be a possibility? What a wonderful addition to uptown the area would be if it were a comfortable place to walk. I believe that the new projects will be of some help, but there is still that questionable buffer zone.

Edited by caterpillar2

• 1 month later...

Holy crap that is a terrible looking building.  They must have stolen the design from the Northlake Mall business park.

Its just really very frustrating. 

This is being built next to a great brick complex with so much history and quality. Yet they build a two tone beige stucco box. WHAT THE FUDGE! 

Everything about this building says "Avid Exchange doesn't plan to be here long." There is no other good reason to build a POS spec office building there. This tells me Avid Exchange is boring, meek, uncreative, temporary and could have saved a lot of money by just building out in the suburbs. They are totally wasting their site and their architect. Grow a backbone and build something to be proud of, not something to be embarrassed about.

Edited by tozmervo
  • Like 4

Everything about this building says "Avid Exchange doesn't plan to be here long." There is no other good reason to build a POS spec office building there. This tells me Avid Exchange is boring, meek, uncreative, temporary and could have saved a lot of money by just building out in the suburbs. They are totally wasting their site and their architect. Grow a backbone and build something to be proud of, not something to be embarrassed about.

They have plans to build a second building, identical. 

I think the NC Music Factory area should strive to have inventive design. Why can't we have something like this. 

837-AW-140409_20.jpg

Edited by Guest

I would have zero problem with this design if it was in any Charlotte office park. However, this completely ruins the excitement that AvidExchange brought when they announced they'd put their new HQ at NC Music Factory. As someone else mentioned, put that crap in an office park somewhere else. Or better yet, just stay where you are. Charlotte Beige. F---ing Charlotte Beige.

• Like 1