NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

I had completely expelled this project out of my memory. While we aren't losing anything special here (Mattie's shouldn't have a problem finding a new spot to plop down on), I am WAY more annoyed at this than I am the CM/DFA fiasco. This is the city's quintessential live music/nightlife spot and they want to put up a horrid suburban box? Anger I say.

• Like 1

I had completely expelled this project out of my memory. While we aren't losing anything special here (Mattie's shouldn't have a problem finding a new spot to plop down on), I am WAY more annoyed at this than I am the CM/DFA fiasco. This is the city's quintessential live music/nightlife spot and they want to put up a horrid suburban box? Anger I say.

Agreed. I used to not be that annoyed by this because it was adding jobs. But between that building design and what's being taken away, it really sucks. Is Cars and Coffee having to move as well I assume? At least Dimension decided to listen to angry residents. Not sure how many people have a voice here. 

Agreed. I used to not be that annoyed by this because it was adding jobs. But between that building design and what's being taken away, it really sucks. Is Cars and Coffee having to move as well I assume? At least Dimension decided to listen to angry residents. Not sure how many people have a voice here. 

Did DFA really listen to angry residents?  Given that the top three complaints for that development are loss of FTF lot, loss of CM, and loss of old buildings are exactly the things not addressed by the new DFA design, I do not feel that DFA really did anything to address the concerns of angry residents.  If this forum is representative of the mentality of the residents of Southend- that predisposition to rationalize any development is good provided there is retail adjacent to the street-then DFA has answered the critics.  However, I would submit that is not the mentality of the Southend community at large.  Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess I will be the contrarian here as well.  While I think the design of AvidExchange sucks, the fact that it's in a cordoned off section of town surrounded by interstates, a cemetery, and ADM, I have few qualms about the project.  Sure it's where the NCMF is, but that has always seemed kind of like an island to me.  And they aren't tearing down any old buildings, are they?  Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to it, but I just don't see the outrage outside the design being Ballantyne-esque.  At least they are moving Mattie's, correct?  I would be happy if the same could be said for the buildings at the DFA block.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

Did DFA really listen to angry residents?  Given that the top three complaints for that development are loss of FTF lot, loss of CM, and loss of old buildings are exactly the things not addressed by the new DFA design, I do not feel that DFA really did anything to address the concerns of angry residents.  If this forum is representative of the mentality of the residents of Southend- that predisposition to rationalize any development is good provided there is retail adjacent to the street-then DFA has answered the critics.  However, I would submit that is not the mentality of the Southend community at large.  Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess I will be the contrarian here as well.  While I think the design of AvidExchange sucks, the fact that it's in a cordoned off section of town surrounded by interstates, a cemetery, and ADM, I have few qualms about the project.  Sure it's where the NCMF is, but that has always seemed kind of like an island to me.  And they aren't tearing down any old buildings, are they?  Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to it, but I just don't see the outrage outside the design being Ballantyne-esque.  At least they are moving Mattie's, correct?  I would be happy if the same could be said for the buildings at the DFA block.

Not even going down that road..

• 2 months later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/techflash/2016/01/avidxchange-to-make-announcement-thursday-at-n-c.html

AvidXchange is making another announcement Thursday at the N.C. Music Factory. Mayor Jennifer Roberts will be there to announce “news regarding a change (not previously announced) that impacts the entire N.C. Music Factory complex.”

1 hour ago, NYCLT said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/techflash/2016/01/avidxchange-to-make-announcement-thursday-at-n-c.html

AvidXchange is making another announcement Thursday at the N.C. Music Factory. Mayor Jennifer Roberts will be there to announce “news regarding a change (not previously announced) that impacts the entire N.C. Music Factory complex.”

Are they merging with a company from Brazil and moving? What... Too soon??

9 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

The good thing about the name change is, not one person will EVER call it the Avid Xchange Music Factory....no one

I just can't believe Lazes is selling naming rights. Sounds either 1 of 2 things. Greedy, or struggling. I can't imagine that they are struggling, so I think he must just be Greedy. I can understand the naming rights for the amphitheater, but the whole complex, its just ludicrous. We are just lucky that Lazes didn't win the bid on Carolina Theatre. Can you imagine "The Bank of America Sonic Automotive Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Lake Norman Carolina Theatre," in bright lights on a Marquee.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I just can't believe Lazes is selling naming rights. Sounds either 1 of 2 things. Greedy, or struggling. I can't imagine that they are struggling, so I think he must just be Greedy. I can understand the naming rights for the amphitheater, but the whole complex, its just ludicrous. We are just lucky that Lazes didn't win the bid on Carolina Theatre. Can you imagine "The Bank of America Sonic Automotive Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Lake Norman Carolina Theatre," in bright lights on a Marquee.

Yea, 100% agree.. Amphitheaters have sponsorship names all the time. Nothing new and no problem with that. One of the things I liked about the Music Factory is that it never felt "corporate" to me like Epicentre does. This is a step in that direction. It's bad enough that Avid Xchange it putting up soulless office buildings. One possibility for this could be Lazes' new Music Factory project in Texas is much larger and he's having to put in more cash into that. So perhaps this could be related to that. Not sure, because I can't imagine the NCMF struggling financially at all. 

Edited by HopHead

Ok...why get me so excited then pounce on it? Huh? Maybe there will actually be some good news coming? Like they scratched the original renderings and will be building something more inspiring for the area??? Is the announcement for sure just a name change? It sounds bigger than that to me.

Edited by RaleighHeelsfan
Spelling

2 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Ok...why get me so excited then pounce on it? Huh? Maybe there will actually be some good news coming? Like they scratched the original renderings and will be building something more inspiring for the area??? Is the announcement for sure just a name change? It sounds bigger than that to me.

Hyperbole is to the Charlotte City Government as oxygen is to life. Their sandwich has no meat, its just fudging iceberg lettuce.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

The good thing about the name change is, not one person will EVER call it the Avid Xchange Music Factory....no one

The local media will call it that. But no one else.

Anyway, I think AvidXchange is ripe for a takeover/merger/buyout. So the name may be short-lived.

I never understood why it was called The N.C. Music Factory and not The Charlotte Music Factory.

3 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

So is it official? I can't find anything online about it. 

Its not official, but I've gotten word from a contact that this will be the entire announcement.