NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

Yea, imo it'll be a lot better when most of the towers are built like the Vue, so there will be a lot more foot traffic. But the best way to go there in my opinion ( the way i'd go, may be longer but more exciting ) would be: to go down trade then take north poplar and then west sixth street, then north graham to west tenth then take smith to seaboard. You'll get to go by the Vue, Citadin, Garrison, and all the mid-rise residential towers. There'll probably be pretty heavy foot traffic if their is a concert or something with all the residential going up. Man uptown is going to be awesome walking around in a few years, not just down tryon, but all the way to seaboard. :w00t:

• 4 weeks later...

Per the Observer, Lazes has reached an agreement with council for the realignment of Seaboard St. so that the crossing of the tracks is eliminated. It will connect just outside of 277 and shoot beneath the freeway to give access to the NC music factory.

That is one more step toward the grade crossing elimination that FOFW has prioritized in the Gateway station/light rail line work.

He may have his plans done before Levine gets a brick layed....

Yes, they are operational. That's the ADM milling plant. I love them. I don't mind if the craggy old jalopy buildings right behind the silos go, but I'd love the silos to stay and be redeveloped somehow. But, I think the plan is for ADM to move somewhere else and that whole complex to go away...

Anyone know if the big concrete silos near the NC Music factory site will someday be removed? ...or are they still in use???

I always wonder that when driving by on 277... kind of unsightly part of uptown IMO

NCDOT has it in the budget for the Gateway Station (The Rail/Bus station at Trade Street) to buy the ADM mill in order to add tracks heading toward the station. That project has been somewhat delayed, and even in the best case is ~5 years away, so that mill will be around for a little bit longer. As it is operational (I have read that it is the largest flour mill in the SouthEast), NCDOT might delay it for even longer.

• 2 weeks later...

This was on Chlt.com this afternoon. Enjoy.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...fe/14498750.htm

I'm not sure how I feel about have a sound stage RIGHT next to a building covered in colorful windows. That, for some reason, doesn't seem like too good of an idea. Either you're gonna have to invest in some pretty shatter/noise proof windows and brick, or you're going to have to limit the volume at the concert, and I don't think too many people at CCFest would want to see that.

• 2 months later...

I will post pictures later, but just wanted to give my impressions from my visit there today:

The office/retail sections are mostly finished. They look alot like Atherton Mill. Very nice looking. The site is coming along very well, with alot of large space for shows.

They had pictures of the condos they want to build on site as well.

If you have time, you should take a look around. It looks like it could turn out to be a really nice addition to the city.

EDIT: Picture time!

mm2gt4.jpg

Here is the current front of the building. The fountain is not operational yet. To the left you can go in and see the current building that is finished. Creative Loafing moved their offices there. They have a huge office for such a crappy paper.

mm4hm8.jpg

A sideways picture of the hallway.

mm3eg9.jpg

Here is the building on the right, which is far from being finished.

mm5zh3.jpg

Here is their current siteplan. Notice the condo's where Queen City Underground currently sits.

Edited by reverbandwhiskey

I will post pictures later, but just wanted to give my impressions from my visit there today:

The office/retail sections are mostly finished. They look alot like Atherton Mill. Very nice looking. The site is coming along very well, with alot of large space for shows.

They had pictures of the condos they want to build on site as well.

If you have time, you should take a look around. It looks like it could turn out to be a really nice addition to the city.

EDIT: Picture time!

mm2gt4.jpg

Here is the current front of the building. The fountain is not operational yet. To the left you can go in and see the current building that is finished. Creative Loafing moved their offices there. They have a huge office for such a crappy paper.

mm4hm8.jpg

A sideways picture of the hallway.

mm3eg9.jpg

Here is the building on the right, which is far from being finished.

mm5zh3.jpg

Here is their current siteplan. Notice the condo's where Queen City Underground currently sits.

mm6bl2.jpg

mm7bm9.jpg

The condos

mm8gu2.jpg

A good photo of the retail available for lease.

mm9lm3.jpg

One of the large areas being built. House Of Blues maybe??????????

Okay, so that is pretty sweet. I love old mills renovated for modern uses. I still think the condos are borderline ugly, but the spiral staircase is pretty cool, and something I didn't notice in the fuzzy renderings that have shown up before.

• 2 weeks later...

any updates on the house of blues or matt's diner(i think this is the name)? i was in myrtle beach a couple of weeks ago and saw the ryan adams show at the hob. that place would do great in charlotte. it seems artist of this size and caliber skip charlotte on their tours because we lack the appropriate venues. its sad a city of charlottes size doesnt get more concerts.

• 1 month later...

Noah Lazes wants to purchase the 5 acre Mecklenburg County Fleet Management property adjacent to his NC Music Factory project. He wants to use the property to expand the NC Music Factory. To make this happen he is proposing a land swap with the county. He gets the property adjacent to the Music Factory in exchange for some property off Freedom Drive where Fleet Magangement could move to.

He makes a prestation to the Mecklenburg County Commision on this tomorrow. I suspect they would be in favor of it.

Noah Lazes wants to purchase the 5 acre Mecklenburg County Fleet Management property adjacent to his NC Music Factory project. He wants to use the property to expand the NC Music Factory. To make this happen he is proposing a land swap with the county. He gets the property adjacent to the Music Factory in exchange for some property off Freedom Drive where Fleet Magangement could move to.

He makes a prestation to the Mecklenburg County Commision on this tomorrow. I suspect they would be in favor of it.

Good. That is prime land to be used to park a bunch of public vehicles. Question is, though, with the lack of advancement for the NCMF and seemingly lack of interest in much of their space they already have, will this just sit there like the rest of it? Has anyone heard any new developments in this project or any movement on something happening? Any new confirmed tenants?

Good. That is prime land to be used to park a bunch of public vehicles. Question is, though, with the lack of advancement for the NCMF and seemingly lack of interest in much of their space they already have, will this just sit there like the rest of it? Has anyone heard any new developments in this project or any movement on something happening? Any new confirmed tenants?

The Music Factory currently has 100% of all of the existing built out space occupied as it is truly beautiful (I think about 40,000 SF occupied). I tried to rent office space there and they said they had none available right now, but were preparing to renovate more. It seems as quick as they can renovate space people want to occupy it. I also know for a fact that all of their anchor entertainment spaces are leased to some VERY prominent entertainment tenants. With their rode unanimously approved by the City Council and about to go under construction I predict that this area is about to explode into the "Music Row" or "Beale Street" of Charlotte. I have my name on a list for a condo, as I can't see how they can miss...old beautiful renovated buildings inside the inner loop and lots of land to develop. In an Uptown that is quickly running out of land with skyrocketing land and condo prices..that place is a sure develop quickly. My hats off to those guys for having the vision!

The Music Factory currently has 100% of all of the existing built out space occupied as it is truly beautiful (I think about 40,000 SF occupied). I tried to rent office space there and they said they had none available right now, but were preparing to renovate more. It seems as quick as they can renovate space people want to occupy it. I also know for a fact that all of their anchor entertainment spaces are leased to some VERY prominent entertainment tenants. With their rode unanimously approved by the City Council and about to go under construction I predict that this area is about to explode into the "Music Row" or "Beale Street" of Charlotte. I have my name on a list for a condo, as I can't see how they can miss...old beautiful renovated buildings inside the inner loop and lots of land to develop. In an Uptown that is quickly running out of land with skyrocketing land and condo prices..that place is a sure develop quickly. My hats off to those guys for having the vision!

Is there any timeline on when the entertainment will start up (i.e. concerts, bars/restaurants opening)?

You point out what we all know, the offices and studio spaces have done quite well getting occupied. The name North Carolina Music Factory implies "music" and "entertainment" to me, but none of that has really worked. Is Illusions still open or was that a brief illusion? From what I heard the place was desolate. I think it might be interesting stubborness on the part of the developer to hang onto what doesn't seem to be working, all the while you can't even get an office space because it is grabbed so quickly. Why not shift gears? Did everyone forget this was the same developer that created the doomed World Mardi Gras entertainment dud in Cityfair? They have done a great job from what I hear in Miami and Indianapolis, but this is Charlotte. We have a growing entertainment area already...

i think a lot of us would rather see our center city continue to grow into the entertainment district -- it just makes sense. This should maybe be renamed "Square Peg, Round Hole". The point of downtown entertainment is being able to walk to and around it -- this requires a drive from transit, condos, all neighborhoods except for scary Greenville, and is destination no matter how much you package it differently -- hence the need to extend Seaboard Street.

The city had nothing to do with this development. Noah Lazis just bought all of the land himself and deicded to build and entertainment district seperated from the Charlotte's home grown entertainment district. It wil be direct competition with the nightlife on college street and one or the other in my opinion will either fail, or they will both bring in more huge crowds and Charlotte will finally become a hot spot for nightlife. I am not sure which one w ill happen, but I really do hope that it will be the latter of the two that I have proposed.