Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Mith242

Yeah I heard about him.

He's been the director of the William Farnsworth Art Museum in a small town in Maine of around 7,000.

Since I'm not going to be able to be on as much if you find anymore info on him or the possible artwork that Alice Walton has bought it would be nice to have on here. Or everyone can just wait on me whenever I get a chance to get one again when I have my paper with me.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I'm not going to be able to be on as much if you find anymore info on him or the possible artwork that Alice Walton has bought it would be nice to have on here. Or everyone can just wait on me whenever I get a chance to get one again when I have my paper with me.

If I get any updates I'll be sure to post.

Hope it's nothing serious with you. Best of Luck hearing from you.

No, it's nothing serious. I'm just not going to be able to be on as much as I've gotten used to for a bit. I'm certainly not looking forward to it, but hopefully in a few weeks everything will be back to normal and I'll be back to driving up my posts per day total again.

Okay now I have my paper so I can post some more details. Christopher Crosman is the name of the new curator. He comes by way of Rockland Maine. He apparently is originally from Chicago. The article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette also mentioned that Crystal Bridges did draw a lot of attention when it was looking for a curator. Partly from the fact that a new museum only opens around once every two years in the US. I also think it will be because it has a major backer who's trying to bring in some serious pieces. And there's not much around to compete against it really. That's not to say that there aren't some nice art centers in the state. But I can't see any of them bringing in paintings bought for over $30M either.

Okay, now there are no comfirmations of this but apparently there is talk that Alice Walton has bought another piece of artwork from NYC. A portrait of George Washington by Gilbert Stuart that once was owned by Alexander Hamilton.

vert.washington.jpg

This about the best I can find so far. George Stuart did a number of George Washington portraits. This isn't one of the most well known ones but I don't think those are going to be leaving Washington DC anytime. Still yet another nice piece with some history, if all of this is true. The bad thing is that I don't think Crystal Bridges plans to reveal anymore about what they have till they open, which is still a while away. It's another piece that the New York Public Library held. It didn't bring as much money as some thought. Expectation have been high ever since Alice Walton bought Asher Durand's Kindred Spirits for $35Mil.

Okay here are some pieces that are known to be part of the museum.

Asher Durand's Kindred Spirits 1849

Durand_large.jpg

Arthur Fitzwilliam Tait's The Life of a Hunter: A Tight Fix 1858

Tait_large.jpg

Norman Rockwell's Sick Puppy 1923

Rockwell_large.jpg

Charles Willson Peale's George Washington 1780-1782

Peale_large.jpg

John La Farge's Peonies in a Breeze 1890

LaFarge_large.jpg

Charles Bird King's Ottoe Half Chief, Husband of Eagle of Delight 1821-1822

King_large.jpg

Winslow Homer's Spring 1878

Homer_large.jpg

Martin Johnson Heade's Cattleya Orchids, Two Hummingbirds and a Beetle 1875-1890

Heade_large.jpg

Marsden Hartley's Hall of the Mountain King 1908-1909

Hartley_large.jpg

As I said these are the only ones that have been made official as of now.

Okay, now there are no comfirmations of this but apparently there is talk that Alice Walton has bought another piece of artwork from NYC. A portrait of George Washington by Gilbert Stuart that once was owned by Alexander Hamilton.

vert.washington.jpg

This about the best I can find so far. George Stuart did a number of George Washington portraits. This isn't one of the most well known ones but I don't think those are going to be leaving Washington DC anytime. Still yet another nice piece with some history, if all of this is true. The bad thing is that I don't think Crystal Bridges plans to reveal anymore about what they have till they open, which is still a while away. It's another piece that the New York Public Library held. It didn't bring as much money as some thought. Expectation have been high ever since Alice Walton bought Asher Durand's Kindred Spirits for $35Mil.

This would be amazing!!!!!

This picture is just as good as Asher Durand's piece. We are really going to be put on the map up here in the art world.

This would be amazing!!!!!

This picture is just as good as Asher Durand's piece. We are really going to be put on the map up here in the art world.

Yeah I'm really hoping that the rumors are true. It sounds like there's a good chance. It sounds like something she was interested in and especially the fact that it went cheaper than expected. You'd think that if she was in the least bit interested she would have jumped on it just for the fact that it went for less than predicted. I don't remember exact figures, seems like they were expecting $10-$12Mil and it only went around $8Mil.

I'd really like a lot of local art also to be on display.

Like a section devoted to High School Art Work or something like that.

I'm not sure if they'll do something like that or let some of the other art centers have that type of stuff. I know the art center in Springdale does quite a bit of that type of stuff. I think they have something once a year where they bring in stuff from all the nearby states along with Arkansas stuff.

I hadn't heard that yet. But I did hear about hoe this museum would be rather unique in that it won't be an 'institution' type building but one merged more into the nearby natural setting. The architect mentioned it was a unique challenge for him in designing a museum.

I hadn't heard that yet. But I did hear about hoe this museum would be rather unique in that it won't be an 'institution' type building but one merged more into the nearby natural setting. The architect mentioned it was a unique challenge for him in designing a museum.

Yes, they even had a problem with the glass for the permanent art collection. Apparently, the building's design would have destroyed the permanent collection, so the architects are having to redesign the entire museum just for the permanent art collection.

Yes, they even had a problem with the glass for the permanent art collection. Apparently, the building's design would have destroyed the permanent collection, so the architects are having to redesign the entire museum just for the permanent art collection.

I hadn't heard that but I had wondered how they were going to preserve everything with all the glass I saw in the designs. So the designs they have on their website aren't correct now?

The Designs are incorrect. New one's are being looked at right now, and construction should start within 10 months.

I wonder when they'll have the final designs done. It's too bad, the previous designs were interesting. Hopefully they'll update their website when they do have the new plans. Although sometimes after all of the initial interest things drop off and they don't bother updating the websites anymore till interest perks back up again.

• 3 months later...

Great News for the Arts in Benton County. I can't wait for this one to open!!

Crystal Bridges Construction to Begin Soon

By Bill Bowden

Northwest Arkansas Business Journal - 4/10/06

Construction should begin in June on Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, said Bob Workman, executive director of the proposed museum. The facility is slated to be open in 2009.

When announced on May 23, the museum was estimated to be

Great, thanks for the update Matt. I've been hoping to hear more details about Crystal Bridges at some point. For me personally I think this will perhaps be the one of the main things to get me up to Benton County. I'm sure I'll go up there for some of the new shopping areas and such. But I think this may make me go to Benton County on a more frequent basis. I wish it wasn't going to take so long to open. :D

Great, thanks for the update Matt. I've been hoping to hear more details about Crystal Bridges at some point. For me personally I think this will perhaps be the one of the main things to get me up to Benton County. I'm sure I'll go up there for some of the new shopping areas and such. But I think this may make me go to Benton County on a more frequent basis. I wish it wasn't going to take so long to open. :D

Yes, this is going to create the Bentonville Downtown. I can't wait for it.

Yes, this is going to create the Bentonville Downtown. I can't wait for it.

It will be great for Bentonville's downtown, but I think they're a bit nuts if they think it's within 5 minutes walking distance to Bentonville Square. It's more like 5 minutes by bicycle and 15 minutes by foot.

It will be great for Bentonville's downtown, but I think they're a bit nuts if they think it's within 5 minutes walking distance to Bentonville Square. It's more like 5 minutes by bicycle and 15 minutes by foot.

I admit I had wondered about that. Which direction from the Square will it be, north?

I admit I had wondered about that. Which direction from the Square will it be, north?

It's northeast of the square on J Street just south of Tiger Blvd. To get there you would go 2 blocks north of the square on Main Street and enter the walking trail (coming soon) at the new Compton Gardens. The trail will meander northeast for about a mile to where the Crystal Bridges Museum will be situated. It may not take that long to walk it but the terrain will be steep in places unless they're planning some pedestrian bridges or maybe the trail will wind around some steep spots that would actually make the trail longer than the actual distance between the Square and the Museum.

Bentonville is creating a Trolley System that is going to connect the Museum to Downtown, and hopefully downtown growth will come between the two.

It's northeast of the square on J Street just south of Tiger Blvd. To get there you would go 2 blocks north of the square on Main Street and enter the walking trail (coming soon) at the new Compton Gardens. The trail will meander northeast for about a mile to where the Crystal Bridges Museum will be situated. It may not take that long to walk it but the terrain will be steep in places unless they're planning some pedestrian bridges or maybe the trail will wind around some steep spots that would actually make the trail longer than the actual distance between the Square and the Museum.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of the Compton Gardens, do you have any info on that?

Bentonville is creating a Trolley System that is going to connect the Museum to Downtown, and hopefully downtown growth will come between the two.

That does sound like a pretty nice idea.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of the Compton Gardens, do you have any info on that?

It's a really nice garden with many species of trees and plantlife. There's a bubbling brook crossed over by a couple footbridges and the people there are real pleasant and proud of it. It's a historic house and gardens donated by a Dr. Compton and is affiliated with the Peel Mansion Museum & Heritage Garden. Check out their website at www.comptongardens.org.

Archived