Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Mith242

Apparently, the Owners are still getting more and more art for the Museum. They say the best is yet to come.

Also, there will be amazing technological advances in this Art Museum.

Crystal Bridges may hire a technology consultant for "future-proofing," making sure the building will have sufficient infrastructure for changes in technology. Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology may be used for security purposes, so that if a tagged item or artwork is touched or moved, computer sensors would be alerted.

Second, RFID could be used to display information for patrons. As someone moves close to a tagged piece of art, information about that painting could pop up on a PDA or cell phone. These devices could replace typical audio devices used in many museums now.

I can't wait for this thing to open, it's going to be one of the top Art Musuems in the Nation!!!

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I didn't catch all the info but KNWA mentioned in their 6PM newscast that one of the paintings that will be on display at Crystal Bridges can be viewed now. Gilbert Stuart's 1797 portrait of George Washington can be viewed but I didn't catch where at exactly? Anyone heard anything about this? Here's a pic of the portrait.

Stuart.jpg

^

It's in the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston.

Really? I got the impression from KNWA that it was somewhere up here in NWA on display. Here I was hoping I could get a preview of some of the artwork that would be on display at Crystal Bridges.

If you combined the collection at the Arkansas Arts Center and whats' at Crystal Bridges, you would have a hell of an art museum - probably better than a lot of big cities (certainly better than Dallas). Stephens donated a big collection to the museum in LR several years ago with a lot of paintings by name artists and a couple of Rodin sculptures as well.

If you combined the collection at the Arkansas Arts Center and whats' at Crystal Bridges, you would have a hell of an art museum - probably better than a lot of big cities (certainly better than Dallas). Stephens donated a big collection to the museum in LR several years ago with a lot of paintings by name artists and a couple of Rodin sculptures as well.

Yeah I know some of the stuff there at the Arkansas Arts Center surprises people. Especially out of state people.

I don't know anything about the Arkansas Arts Center, but I thought Crystal Bridges would only house art by American artists. I was just wondering if they might have travelling exhibits of international art.

I don't know anything about the Arkansas Arts Center, but I thought Crystal Bridges would only house art by American artists. I was just wondering if they might have travelling exhibits of international art.

I suppose it might do something like that but it does sound like it's main focus will just be American artwork. One good thing about the Gilbert Stuart painting being on loan is that it opens the door for Crystal Bridges to borrow exhibits from the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston as well.

I think that makes it really interesting and different and makes me want to visit it more. I would rather see a defined American art collection than an imcomplete and random collection of different genres and eras.

The Arkansas Arts Center is known primarily for its collection of drawings by famous artists, often preceding the paintings. It also has artowrk by Picasso, C

I think that makes it really interesting and different and makes me want to visit it more. I would rather see a defined American art collection than an imcomplete and random collection of different genres and eras.

The Arkansas Arts Center is known primarily for its collection of drawings by famous artists, often preceding the paintings. It also has artowrk by Picasso, C

• 2 weeks later...

How do you think the real estate market will do around the Crystal Bridges Development ?

Do you know if the trails and park will be accessible to the public from other entry points outside of the main entrance ? Any ideas ?

Interesting, I didn't know that about Paul Signac. He's someone I don't hear too much about. But I've seen one of his works and liked it quite a bit. I really need toplan a trip there sometime. I've been there so little and it seems like when I go so much is loaned out.

How do you think the real estate market will do around the Crystal Bridges Development ?

Do you know if the trails and park will be accessible to the public from other entry points outside of the main entrance ? Any ideas ?

There's plenty of real estate potential in the area surrounding the Crystal Bridges Muesum site. There's a new subdivision to the north on Tiger Blvd and the new Legacy Village Premier Retirment Village is across J Street to the east. Crystal Bridges main entrance will be on J Street just south of Tiger Blvd. J Street has been renovated and is now a divided street with a landscaped median that's real nice running from Central Avenue to Tiger Blvd. The Crystal Bridges Trail will be accessible from the museum's main entrance and from Compton Gardens 2 blocks north of Bentonville's Downtown Square.

Here is a crappy little map of everything that will be connected to the Crystal Bridges Museum via multi-use or urban trails all accessible from the Downtown Square. I've only designated where the Crystal Bridges Trail will be, but the North Bentonville Trail, Memorial Park Trail, Downtown Trail and several others will all be interconnected.

221727043_080fc27429_o.jpg

It's not a crappy map, it's a pretty good map.

Thanks MasonsDad!!

I agree, it's actually quite a nice job. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I was actually going to try the satellite overlay feature to give a better idea of the natural landscape in the area so it didn't make the area around the Crystal Bridges site seem so underdeveloped. There are quite a few hills and lots of woods and creeks in the area and the Crystal Bridges development is supposed to have no impact to those natural features. There's lots of land on the east side of J Street to be developed and after looking deeper there are subdivisions actually moving to the south side of Tiger Blvd that will be right next to Crystal Bridges. There are a few hundred new homes in several subdivisions on the north side of Tiger Blvd. It's going to be a booming area when Crystal Bridges is complete.

• 3 weeks later...

Musuem officials announced yesterday that site work would begin in a few weeks on the museum. They said work will probably go all through winter. Then, the foundation will be poured, which should be completed by next Spring.

One change on this project that's quite interesting. "Spiral Lift" Technology will be used in the flat floor banquet area in the Great Hall to allow for elevated seating for 250 people!!! How cool is that? I bet nowhere else in Arkansas will have something like that.

Musuem officials announced yesterday that site work would begin in a few weeks on the museum. They said work will probably go all through winter. Then, the foundation will be poured, which should be completed by next Spring.

One change on this project that's quite interesting. "Spiral Lift" Technology will be used in the flat floor banquet area in the Great Hall to allow for elevated seating for 250 people!!! How cool is that? I bet nowhere else in Arkansas will have something like that.

Interesting. I managed to catch a little news about the museum. One think I saw mentioned was that the museum was mainly going to be glass and wood.

Interesting. I managed to catch a little news about the museum. One think I saw mentioned was that the museum was mainly going to be glass and wood.

Yes.

The bridges are going to be made of glass, hence the name "Crystal Bridges", and all of the buildings are going to be made out of the same wood. It'll be an interesting site once completed.

Yes.

The bridges are going to be made of glass, hence the name "Crystal Bridges", and all of the buildings are going to be made out of the same wood. It'll be an interesting site once completed.

Yeah I wish they'd put out some more renderings. Something computer generated to show what the actual structure will look like. The Lofts at Underwood Plaza looked different in their newest rendering than the older drawn rendering. It's sometime hard to judge with those initial drawn renderings.

Yeah I wish they'd put out some more renderings. Something computer generated to show what the actual structure will look like. The Lofts at Underwood Plaza looked different in their newest rendering than the older drawn rendering. It's sometime hard to judge with those initial drawn renderings.

That would cost money and this museum is probably already over budget and ground hasn't even been broken yet. Residential projects will always have better renderings because someone will eventually be paying for them whereas the museum will be a non-profit or at least a very low profit deal.

That would cost money and this museum is probably already over budget and ground hasn't even been broken yet. Residential projects will always have better renderings because someone will eventually be paying for them whereas the museum will be a non-profit or at least a very low profit deal.

True and you're probably right about the overbudget with the way construction costs keep going up.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived