Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Mith242

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know. It was in the paper and I figured someone else would know what it meant. I just felt like posting it b/c in mentionend Crystal Bridges. :D

Okay I did a search on it and pulled this up if it helps any.

Right-of-way vacation is a process that results in City owned public right-of-way (streets and alleys) being converted into private ownership. All abutting property owners must agree to the vacation of the street or alley. Typically the right-of-way is split down the center and each abutting property owner receives a piece of the former street or alley.

Okay I did a search on it and pulled this up if it helps any.

Right-of-way vacation is a process that results in City owned public right-of-way (streets and alleys) being converted into private ownership. All abutting property owners must agree to the vacation of the street or alley. Typically the right-of-way is split down the center and each abutting property owner receives a piece of the former street or alley.

I have a "vacated alley" myself over here on Prospect. I got half and my neighbor got half. You would never know it was there--it never was except on paper. It had to go through a process with the city in the early 90s driven by the guy that used to own my house.

• 1 month later...

I found out today that site work for the museum has already started. They'll apparently be pushing dirt around until next spring. I'm hoping to find the site this weekend and possibly take some pictures to keep everyone updated.

Cool, thanks for the update. You'll probably get up there before I do.

Cool, thanks for the update. You'll probably get up there before I do.

It'll be Saturday. I'm planning on hitting some Bentonville projects not discussed much here as well as the usual Pinnacle stuff. I might even be able to make it to Fayetteville on Thursday, since I don't have to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you on the church...that much money could have gone a long way in helping many of the growing problems we face in Northwest Arkansas and throughout the country.

But I disagree on the art museum. The one thing our area lacks is culture and entertainment. We, as a region and MSA, are culture and entertainment away from having the most desirable place to live in the country.

Job opportunity...check

University...check

Corporate presence...check

Affordability...check

Climate...check

Culture and entertainment venues....need more.

I agree its not feeding the hungry, but I don't fault the Walton's for providing their home with a growing need. I hope it will further benefit our region from a growth and economic standpoint.

I agree with you on the church...that much money could have gone a long way in helping many of the growing problems we face in Northwest Arkansas and throughout the country.

But I disagree on the art museum. The one thing our area lacks is culture and entertainment. We, as a region and MSA, are culture and entertainment away from having the most desirable place to live in the country.

Job opportunity...check

University...check

Corporate presence...check

Affordability...check

Climate...check

Culture and entertainment venues....need more.

I agree its not feeding the hungry, but I don't fault the Walton's for providing their home with a growing need. I hope it will further benefit our region from a growth and economic standpoint.

I'm with you on adding more much needed cultural amenities, but there should be a limit to how much money one should spend on one. I hate to see over $100 Million being spent on a couple of paintings when that money could do so much more for the community than add a piece of cloth with some dried up paint on it. I don't the community in general is going to get as much pleasure from it as those wealthy art collectors out there that will be regular visitors. I know my first impression when I see this new painting is "how can this possibly be worth so much?"

I'll add Crystal Bridges to the list of amenities for the rich, alongside the Church of Pinnacle Hills.

Rant over.

Masons, you're a great guy and I deeply appreciate your posts, but I disagree about the church of Pinnacle Hills, or at least the building (and 3 crosses) for same.

I've never been so glad to see three crosses placed on any modern-day location in my life. Seriously. And if this were the proper venue for it, I'd tell an incredible story of last week about the funeral of a man (who has a stepson who pastors a church in south Rogers, not Pinnacle) who was for most of his life a monster, with three separate families who until 2 years ago hated him and openly said so at his funeral in NWA last week. What happened 2 years ago? He accepted Christ as Lord of his life and became a changed man. I'm very much a capitalist, a free market, conservative republican guy...but no amount of money, American freedom, earthly pleasure, etc. that anything else in the Pinnacle Hills area offers could have delivered this man from monstrosity like Christ did, and have three separate families who lived nearly 5 decades of pain not only testify to that fact but also unify around Him. And there are a lot of people in NWA and elsewhere hungering for the eternal peace this man found. If only 1 of them is lead to question: "What are these big white crosses all about?" and finds Christ like this monster/precious child did, it will be worth it.

Those three crosses at PH are, IMO, some of the most well-spent money ever in northwest Arkansas.

Archived