Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

SO?

When does that 53 percent of a 10th of the population of Fayetteville have a say in what CrossChruch  does. This was and is intended to replace a more than successful campus already in Fayetteville. And..mwhen did that 53 percent of a 10th get to decide on who is welcome and not and how does that do a damn thing to stop a bigger, newer campus for Cross Church. That Wedington location has mostly a singular focus, and that is a collegiate and young couple minisrty and they are doing quite well. All these Texas suburban kids is their wheel house.  I'm no fan of megachurchs and their franchising but I just find your stance a bit amusing and silly, a tad bit conceited and bigoted and a lot misinformed.

Wow- I think I touched a nerve. I notice you had to launch into a personal attack on me instead of only on the subject. I won't stoop to your level, though. I do stand by my statements and will add that anyone who has lived in Fayetteville knows that Cross Church is not welcomed by many more than the 53% who voted FOR. I also know that their leadership is vindictive enough to change their plans for that reason.

On to less controversial news......

There is a 4.3 acre lot under contract at the Van Asche cul-de-sac. That seems to large a lot for a restaurant and there isn't the traffic counts for retail development there. Maybe another hotel is in the works there?

Edited by zman9810

Wow- I think I touched a nerve. I notice you had to launch into a personal attack on me instead of only on the subject. I won't stoop to your level, though. I do stand by my statements and will add that anyone who has lived in Fayetteville knows that Cross Church is not welcomed by many more than the 53% who voted FOR. I also know that their leadership is vindictive enough to change their plans for that reason.

Well said zman.

• Like 1

On to less controversial news......

There is a 4.3 acre lot under contract at the Van Asche cul-de-sac. That seems to large a lot for a restaurant and there isn't the traffic counts for retail development there. Maybe another hotel is in the works there?

or an office building 

• Like 2

I didn't know a specific church had to be approved by a majority to build .What's next, a church planning board to approve what Churches can operate in Fayetteville?  I just find the whole argument biased and presumptuous on your part. Last I heard the two Cross Churches still had services last sunday and I haven't seen a for sale sign. For all you know, they could see Fayetteville as a mission akin to China. And for your knowledge I have no love for Armani Ronnie.

or an office building 

if this is the cul de sac with the Red Robin, will this not require quite a bit of fill due to the new fema floodplain regs? 

Edited by TRB

if this is the cul de sac with the Red Robin, will this not require quite a bit of fill due to the new fema floodplain regs? 

The entire CMN area, as far as I know, is and always has been deed restricted to preserve the wetlands area adjacent to Mud Creek.  The way that area is developing, hopefully this is something more than 1-story.  I don't think Fayetteville has an office-space shortage, but it would be nice to see a building there visible from N. College Ave.  Henry Eye Clinic took over the former Brazilian Steakhouse building right across the street and they have nice visible branding from southbound N. College Ave.

• Like 2

Now that Fayetteville has deregulated parking requirements in town I wonder if they will allow retail development in front of stores like Kohl's and Target. The Malco Cinema even has parking area that is rarely used. It would be like what Wal Mart already does. Seems like a good use of vacant space that would be infill development in sync with Fayetteville's goals.

Now that Fayetteville has deregulated parking requirements in town I wonder if they will allow retail development in front of stores like Kohl's and Target. The Malco Cinema even has parking area that is rarely used. It would be like what Wal Mart already does. Seems like a good use of vacant space that would be infill development in sync with Fayetteville's goals.

I would hope for liner buildings that face the road with quasi rear parking and not just pads of single buildings and improve walkability since we are seeing multifamily development take off.

I'very mentioned before my desire to have the Uark Theater transformed into an Imax with day shows with a partnership with Walton Arts that are geared to school kids and science and nighttime feature films along with Uark Bowl's lower level actual transformed back into a upperscale boutique alley. This(new parking) would make that possible and really give Dickson a more complete entertainment aspect to it. Too bad it'll never happen

The best we can hope for is Malco bringing it's Imax like concept to the Razorback and I would hope they would eye adding their bowling/arcade/fec concept to it as well.

Nevermind the loss last weekend, I'm glad to see the railroad do the game trains from Rogers again this year. I just can't help but think it would be a cooler deal via Van Buren as well.

Back to the prickey issue. Quite honestly, I could see Cross Church open up a branch elementary  school for Shiloh Christian like the one in Rogers as part of any new campus.. Quite the location for that.

Edited by TRB

Not sure if it should be considered midtown or downtown.  Most likely it will be considered downtown.  

I saw in the business journal that SRG bought a small apartment complex near Wilson Park at Trenton, which connects to College Avenue in that section.  That section of College is set for being rebuilt with expanded sidewalks and better pedestrian access.  Mark Zweig just put the old Twin Arch Motel property under contract.  

Mel Collier apparently bought the University Auto building behind Lacuna modern in that area, too.  

It sounds like some stuff will be happening along that stretch very soon.

Edited by wmr
  • Like 1

Honestly I can't get over how much development is going on all over town.  Saw a big article about Tom Terminella asking to rezone all the farmland around the new Van asche extension.  This, on top of all the previously announced developments on the east end of the street.  (Is Van Asche becoming the next Joyce?)  Also new residential developments around the upcoming Rupple row extension.  I'm getting worried about the market becoming overbuilt.

Looks like I was too optimistic- the parking requirements regs weren't changed Tuesday after all. Seems there needs to be more discussion. I suspect the strong support by developers caught the City by surprise and they are giving it second thoughts. If developers are for it the City couldn't want it, could they? ha

RE: TRB   It would be great if Malco would put a IMAX, etc in Fayetteville but I imagine it would go at the Pinnacle location and not Fayetteville if they put it in NWA.

• Like 1

Honestly I can't get over how much development is going on all over town.  Saw a big article about Tom Terminella asking to rezone all the farmland around the new Van asche extension.  This, on top of all the previously announced developments on the east end of the street.  (Is Van Asche becoming the next Joyce?)  Also new residential developments around the upcoming Rupple row extension.  I'm getting worried about the market becoming overbuilt.

The latest Skyline report showed vacancy rates at all time lows for rentals in NWA. I think developers and lenders learned their lessons during the downturn and we won't see the bubble like the mid 2000's

Looks like I was too optimistic- the parking requirements regs weren't changed Tuesday after all. Seems there needs to be more discussion. I suspect the strong support by developers caught the City by surprise and they are giving it second thoughts. If developers are for it the City couldn't want it, could they? ha

RE: TRB   It would be great if Malco would put a IMAX, etc in Fayetteville but I imagine it would go at the Pinnacle location and not Fayetteville if they put it in NWA.

It is pretty typical of any new ordinance that is even somewhat controversial to go through three meetings at least.  Fayetteville is pretty good at discussing things, almost to a fault.  I expect some version to pass.

You are fogetting something big here and that's the U of A. It's Malco's version of the Imax. I haven't experienced it yet and it's rather new. I don't think this is a north/south thing but both. I still maintain that each end will likely get duplicates of nearly everything over the next 10 years. Now, some of that may be the Arvest area on the southern end. The first 2 they opened happened to be Baton Rouge/Gonzales and Oxford.

Now, what happened with Lululemon. Did it open. Thought it was going just odd the square.

Seems there could be a niche for mixed use development near the University but accessible via 49 that included some of the retailers focused on that set. Places like H&M, Urban Outfitters and so on. 

Edited by TRB

• 2 weeks later...

"Theater Squared", the private theater group in downtown Fayetteville is looking to build a new home.  They have already recieved a NEA grant and will benefit from the Walton Family Foundation's design initiative.  They are seeking a lease from the city to build a new facility on the current public parking lot at Spring and West, two blocks south of Dickson Street.

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2015/10/01/fayetteville-to-discuss-using-city-parking-lot-for-new-theatresquared-facility/

• Like 1

Yet another reason to do all your Christmas shopping on Amazon.

Ha.  Well, shopping is becoming more and more experiential, because people can already buy most stuff from the comfort of their homes.  I hope this leads to more downtown-adjacent infill and more walkable areas.  I live not far from some of these areas that are expected to fill in and would not mind more public parking along my street if it meant more businesses within walking distance of my home.

The Fayetteville City Council voted tonight to remove all minimum parking requirements for non-residential uses.  It will be interesting to see how this changes the development pattern in parts of the city.

We'll have to see what happens when a hot new club/store opens next to a long time established business and causes it to close because its customers can't park close and  won't or can't walk to it. I wonder of Kit Williams didn't give a better alternative that the Council should have listened to.

How long before Petty lets it be known he wants to be the next mayor? or has it already happened?

Edited by zman9810

We'll have to see what happens when a hot new club/store opens next to a long time established business and causes it to close because its customers can't park close and  won't or can't walk to it. I wonder of Kit Williams didn't give a better alternative that the Council should have listened to.

How long before Petty lets it be known he wants to be the next mayor? or has it already happened?

That is about the last person I would vote for mayor.  I think the only one worse would be Sarah Marsh....

I don't see this as being a problem, honestly.  If a business has designated parking, they can tow people who aren't their customers.  There really are only a few areas of town where a no-parking new building would make sense, and those are the areas that could use some infill.  

Larger, denser cities, and places like suburban L.A. are like this.  I am having a hard time imagining negatives to this law, since parking is still allowed.  Businesses are just being given discretion in how much parking they provide.  When making a huge investment like a new commercial building, I'm going to give a developer the benefit of the doubt that parking will be addressed one way or another.  

Edited by wmr

Ok... here goes

What happened to LuluLemon?

The new parking ordinance certainly would pave the way for my pie in the sky conversion of UARK theater into dual purpose IMAX showing education focused features during the day for schools via the WAC and nighttime feature films.  City needs to realize Coody's one good vision of the WAC lot being a parking deck wrapped with retail and a hotel. 

You'll lose some BBBBQ space but gives the fairgrounds a reason to.repurpose and modernize it's facilities to better accommodate events like that.

So, anyone know what Apple Blossom Brewing has plans for in South Fayetteville?

City needs to realize Coody's one good vision of the WAC lot being a parking deck wrapped with retail and a hotel. 

You'll lose some BBBBQ space but gives the fairgrounds a reason to.repurpose and modernize it's facilities to better accommodate events like that.

I agree about the WAC lot.  It needs to be something in the 4-5 story range with a little bit of public space, maybe a "plaza", but mainly restaurant/hotel space.

I haven't heard or read anything about Apple Blossom in Southside.  I have seen recent planning documents that show the Arsaga's renovation of the little blue service station just across the trail from Woodstone Pizza is moving forward.  I doubt it is connected, but who knows?  I'd really like to see the SE or SW corner of MLK/School anchored with a solid mixed-use building of some kind.  If that happened, all of the elements for a "real neighborhood" destination in the Mill District would be in place.

• Like 1

Ok... here goes

What happened to LuluLemon?

The new parking ordinance certainly would pave the way for my pie in the sky conversion of UARK theater into dual purpose IMAX showing education focused features during the day for schools via the WAC and nighttime feature films.  City needs to realize Coody's one good vision of the WAC lot being a parking deck wrapped with retail and a hotel. 

As far as I know Lululemon is in downtown Fayetteville.  I have not paid attention to see if it is actually there but according to the website it is.

Apple Blossom will be doing a tasting/tap room in a new 3 story building next to Greenhouse Grill.  First floor will be the tap room and the top two floors will be a residence.  Should be open within a year or so.

I highly doubt that the new parking ordinance will be too big of a deal.  Parking downtown can be difficult during peak times but I've never had any issue with parking anywhere else in the city.  I think infill is great and there is tons of space for it using the new non existing parking regulations.

I did hear something about an independent theater eventually going into the Dickson Theater building (across from 3 sisters building) a few months ago.  I'd love to see a theater serving wine/beer and food similar to the Alamo Draft Houses in Texas.  As far as a IMAX on Dickson, I think the chances of Malco adding on to the Razorback theater are better (if there is room).  But I certainly like the idea.  Personally I think Malco/AMC/whoever should build a new theater around the Wedington and I-49 interchange. 12-16 screens with an IMAX and get rid of the old Fiesta Square theater.  If I had a vote I'd want a Warren theater like the one in Moore, OK.

• Like 1

As far as I know Lululemon is in downtown Fayetteville.  I have not paid attention to see if it is actually there but according to the website it is.

Apple Blossom will be doing a tasting/tap room in a new 3 story building next to Greenhouse Grill.  First floor will be the tap room and the top two floors will be a residence.  Should be open within a year or so.

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that building being approved, sort of between Greenhouse Grill and the new row houses to the north.  That is huge.  With ABBC and Arsaga's all right there along with Woodstone and Greenhouse, we have ourselves a nice pod of "good stuff" happening.  I'd really like to see a row of 2-3 story fronting School at the SE corner of the Mill Condos lot.  That would really square it all up.  

• Like 1