Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Mith, if you had seen Dickson when I started in college in 1993 you wouldn't believe it.  It was a wholly different thing.  Most of the bars were over on College and Dickson was pretty run down.  I love what's happened in that part of Fayetteville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I know, I moved up here in '89. When I first came up here Dickson was a pretty rough place to be at night. On another note I can tell the students are coming back. It was a lot harder to get around town today. Yeah another 16,000 people to share the roads with.

At the corner of College street and Joyce street, I have heard a new shopping center will house Qdoba Mexican Restaurant, Starbucks, and Marble Slab Creamery.  I am so excited Fayetteville is finally getting a Starbucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah at the already infamous Nelson's Crossing. It's designed to look like a two story Tuscan village. Sounds pretty nice and it's supposed to be one of the nicest retail areas in northwest Arkansas. I used the word infamous earlier because when they were demolishing the hotel there they accidentally knocked down a tree they were supposed to leave up. Now by Fayetteville's building code they are supposed to plant quite a few trees in it's place that going to cost several thousand dollars. Of course the developers aren't too happy about it. By the way RemusCal have you seen that building they are working on a little further east on Joyce? As far as I know it's office space, but I'm not positive on that. Heard anything about it?

Yeah at the already infamous Nelson's Crossing.  It's designed to look like a two story Tuscan village.  Sounds pretty nice and it's supposed to be one of the nicest retail areas in northwest Arkansas.  I used the word infamous earlier because when they were demolishing the hotel there they accidentally knocked down a tree they were supposed to leave up.  Now by Fayetteville's building code they are supposed to plant quite a few trees in it's place that going to cost several thousand dollars.  Of course the developers aren't too happy about it.  By the way RemusCal have you seen that building they are working on a little further east on Joyce?  As far as I know it's office space, but I'm not positive on that.  Heard anything about it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that building a little further east on Joyce is the Lindsey and Associates building. It will house their real estate offices, so everyone will be in the same office instead of spread out everywhere. You should also take a look at the Signature Plaza a little further east on Joyce. It is very modern looking. A nice retail building for Fayetteville. I want to see them start reworking college avenue near dickson street. There are some rundown places that need work and they could start a commerical district there with midrise buildings.

Yes, that building a little further east on Joyce is the Lindsey and Associates building.  It will house their real estate offices, so everyone will be in the same office instead of spread out everywhere.  You should also take a look at the Signature Plaza a little further east on Joyce.  It is very modern looking.  A nice retail building for Fayetteville.  I want to see them start reworking college avenue near dickson street.  There are some rundown places that need work and they could start a commerical district there with midrise buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good, Jim Lindsay FINALLY did something worthwhile for Northwest Arkansas.

Yes, that building a little further east on Joyce is the Lindsey and Associates building.  It will house their real estate offices, so everyone will be in the same office instead of spread out everywhere.  You should also take a look at the Signature Plaza a little further east on Joyce.  It is very modern looking.  A nice retail building for Fayetteville.  I want to see them start reworking college avenue near dickson street.  There are some rundown places that need work and they could start a commerical district there with midrise buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, that makes sense. I knew they had their main offices over in that area. I drove by Signature Plaza a while back ago but I don't think they were quite through with it. But it looked like it would be pretty nice when it was finished. I agree with College Ave. I'd like to see them start around Dickson and keep going for that matter. Seems like there was some talk a couple of years ago about putting all the utilities underground on College Ave. But I think after they saw the cost no one wanted to pay that much to do it. If not that I wish someone would at least update some of the buildings along College Ave. Some of them could use some work. If anyone ever does try to redo the College Ave area, I wish they'd take a bunch of the seperate buildings and replace them with a small development with limited entrances and exits. I don't care for having an entrance or exit every 5-10 feet. Some more vegetaion would be nice too. Apparently back in the earlier part of the 20th century College Ave was known for being lined with lots of nice trees.

At the corner of College street and Joyce street, I have heard a new shopping center will house Qdoba Mexican Restaurant, Starbucks, and Marble Slab Creamery.  I am so excited Fayetteville is finally getting a Starbucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey RemusCal have you tried Qdoba on Dickson? I like it quite a bit, although I think I do prefer the Flying Burrito overall a little more.

Hey RemusCal have you tried Qdoba on Dickson?  I like it quite a bit, although I think I do prefer the Flying Burrito overall a little more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have tried Qdoba. It is pretty good, but I agree that the Flying Burrito is my favorite. However, I am in favor of all types of new restaurants. I would love for Fayetteville to get a reputation of lots of unique restaurants. They are already doing a great job of it. I would like to see more Seafood/Fish places and a really nice upscale steak place, even if it is a chain...maybe a Ruths Chris Steakhouse. Fayetteville really is one of the best cities in the state and even in the south. It is very comparable to Austin, Texas ten years ago.

It is very comparable to Austin, Texas ten years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Austin had 550,000 people in the city alone a decade ago. There as many students at Texas as there are residents of Fayetteville (60,000). Fayetteville is a very different and unique place, there's no need to compare it to the tripe down in Texas.

• 4 weeks later...

Mr Tux on Dickson St has been bought. Looks like it will soon be changed to a mixed use project. I'm still waiting to see what will happen to the lot between Underwood's and Qdoba. The last time I went to eat at Qdoba I also noticed that the building behind Qdoba is gone and apparently will also be a part of what is being built on the nearby lot. I'm curious to see what Dickson St will be in about 5 years.

Well I was down on Dickson St today. I noticed that something is finally taking the former Asahi spot. Sorta surprised it took this long before someone took it considering everything that's going on around Dickson nowadays. But anyway Kosmos will take it's spot, no indication on what kind of place it will be. Also saw a sign up between Underwood's and Qdoba. Apparently that lot will eventually be the Lofts at Underwood Plaza. I think it may be a mixed-use development so there may be more to it than just condos/apartments. Didn't get a good look at the sign as I drove by, next time I stop at Qdoba I'll have to stop and take a closer look at the sign and see hoe the development will look.

Well I don't have any huge development like the ones going on in Benton County to mention. But there is a mixed use development called Paradise Point going up just south of Joyce St. The two level building will have office and residential space. Some will offer views of the Paradise Valley Golf Course. It's being designed by the same architect that designed Signature Plaza here in Fayetteville. I think maybe it was RemusCal who mentioned liking Signature Plaza. The look of the development apparently will be something between a shopping center and a colonial style similar to what's found around the French Quarter in New Orleans.

Well, this is a pretty good thread. I've been reading it for a while now.

I am a Springdale native, but I now live in Fayetteville (where I was born actually) for school. I remember when I was younger I never really even considered Fayetteville a different city. It was all just one place.

A few things I've noticed while I've been reading. I thought it was funny what people are saying about Dickson St. then and now. A few months ago I was talking to my uncle about that kind of stuff. He hasn't been back to the area since he left about 10 years ago. He and his wife prefer the pre-walton art center Dickson. They said something to the effect of "...and then the walton art center came along and the place just changed". I thought that was interesting. I think about the only place left with the original character is Roger's Rec. And I heard that place is either for sale or has been bought. It's at least for sale.

I was at the Rec just last night, partly because I knew its days were numbered. It's suprising to me that several of my friends do not even know it's there. Even though they go bar hopping quite often. I say I'm going to Roger's Rec and they say, "Why are you driving up to Rogers?". Then I explain to them it's on Dickson.

Not that I don't like the other bars on Dickson. I go to them quite a lot too. I think it's also interesting how bars are expanding to West st (Grub's, On the Rocks, Alligator Ray's...).

As someone that has been raised in NW Ark, I do feel kind of feel a separation from the rest of the state. My grandparents live in east AR. It feel so different over there. And I've never even been to SE Ark, or really to NE Ark.

As far as roads. 540 really needs to be a lane or two bigger. And not really even for just planning ahead. Some portions need to be 3 lanes right now. There really needs to be a 412 bypass that goes to the airport. I would also really like to see another major N-S road.

But roads really are a problem sometimes. But it depends on where you're going. If I go home to my parents house. It's a 15 minute drive to north Springdale from my apartment by the university. If I go to towork, it's a 25 minute (if I'm lucky) drive to SE Springdale. Why? because there's no good way to go east. Joyce is okay, but it's like a puzzle trying to avoid getting stuck behind someone waiting to turn. There needs to be a turn lane on that road.

As far as a Starbucks. I would really like to see Fayetteville get a real starbucks. I go to the Barne's and Noble caffee quite often. In fact I'm about to go right now. It's pretty much a Starbucks with a different name. A few times I've driven up to Bentonville to go to a real one. What they really need is a starbucks somewhere close to Dickson.

Well, that's about all I can think of to say. Sorry for the long post. I haven't proof read any of that and it's more of stream of conscience rambling than anything.

Well, this is a pretty good thread. I've been reading it for a while now.

I am a Springdale native, but I now live in Fayetteville (where I was born actually) for school. I remember when I was younger I never really even considered Fayetteville a different city. It was all just one place.

A few things I've noticed while I've been reading. I thought it was funny what people are saying about Dickson St. then and now. A few months ago I was talking to my uncle about that kind of stuff. He hasn't been back to the area since he left about 10 years ago. He and his wife prefer the pre-walton art center Dickson. They said something to the effect of "...and then the walton art center came along and the place just changed". I thought that was interesting. I think about the only place left with the original character is Roger's Rec. And I heard that place is either for sale or has been bought. It's at least for sale.

I was at the Rec just last night, partly because I knew its days were numbered. It's suprising to me that several of my friends do not even know it's there. Even though they go bar hopping quite often. I say I'm going to Roger's Rec and they say, "Why are you driving up to Rogers?". Then I explain to them it's on Dickson.

Not that I don't like the other bars on Dickson. I go to them quite a lot too. I think it's also interesting how bars are expanding to West st (Grub's, On the Rocks, Alligator Ray's...).

As someone that has been raised in NW Ark, I do feel kind of feel a separation from the rest of the state. My grandparents live in east AR. It feel so different over there. And I've never even been to SE Ark, or really to NE Ark.

As far as roads. 540 really needs to be a lane or two bigger. And not really even for just planning ahead. Some portions need to be 3 lanes right now. There really needs to be a 412 bypass that goes to the airport. I would also really like to see another major N-S road.

But roads really are a problem sometimes. But it depends on where you're going. If I go home to my parents house. It's a 15 minute drive to north Springdale from my apartment by the university. If I go to towork, it's a 25 minute (if I'm lucky) drive to SE Springdale. Why? because there's no good way to go east. Joyce is okay, but it's like a puzzle trying to avoid getting stuck behind someone waiting to turn. There needs to be a turn lane on that road.

As far as a Starbucks. I would really like to see Fayetteville get a real starbucks. I go to the Barne's and Noble caffee quite often. In fact I'm about to go right now. It's pretty much a Starbucks with a different name. A few times I've driven up to Bentonville to go to a real one. What they really need is a starbucks somewhere close to Dickson.

Well, that's about all I can think of to say. Sorry for the long post. I haven't proof read any of that and it's more of stream of conscience rambling than anything.

Welcome to the forum Lefty. Glad someone was finding this topic interesting. :D You are right about the Walton Art Center changing Dickson St. It is sometimes hard to see things change. But in my opinion I think Dickson St has changed for the better. It's lost some of the character it used to have. But it's made up for it with a whole new character. It's also a rather unique area, I really don't think there is another area quite like it in the state. Yes you are certainly right about the roads in Fayetteville. Fayetteville has never developed many major east-west roads. Topography has a lot to do with it. The steep hills tend to run north-south in Fayetteville. I think also that the land was often used more for houses and to widen any of the roads you're going to have to take out a lot of houses. Obviously not a very popular option for many people. Although I imagine Fayetteville will have to do something about it eventually. I also agree with you about northwest Arkansas feeling a bit seperate from the rest of the state. As far as Starbuck's is concerned I don't have a problem with them but I'd hate to see them really move in and put out some of our local coffee shops. But hopefully there's a place for both of them. I brew a lot of my own coffee at home, although I haven't invested in the quality equipment to make cappuccino and lattes. Sorry to get a little off topic here but if anyone in likes brewing their own coffee up here in northwest Arkansas I'd recomend Caranavi Oro. It's a really nice Bolivian coffee that's imported by a local Fayetteville man and roasted here in Arkansas.

Edited by Mith242

I was so busy reponding to other posts I forgot to mention my news. Today in the Northwest Arkansas Times it was announced that Malco finally will be building a new theater in Fayetteville. This has been put off for years, and well over a year ago Malco mentioned that they would build some sort of new theater but just finally have bought the land. I do like Malco and I am glad they are the ones building a new theater here but I really wish they would have done something sooner. I can understand them wanting to make a bigger presence in Rogers, but I really think Fayetteville is a big enough market that we shouldn't have had to way so long for a new theater. For a long time Fayetteville was the only city that Malco had a theater in northwest Arkansas. But anyway the new theater will be on the southeast corner of Joyce St and Steele Bvd. There haven't been any details released on the theater itself like the Roger's locations. About the only thing is that it is assumed that it will have stadium seating. I wish it would be a 'flagship' type theater like one of the newer ones they're building in Rogers, but seeing as how they haven't given any details yet I find it unlikely. I'll just be glad I won't have to go all the way to Rogers to watch a movie in a decent theater.

Good job Matt, you've really been beating me to the punch lately. :D I would like to see that area get developed. I know RemusCal would like to see that area become a highrise area for Fayetteville.

Thanks Mith.

I myself would love to see highrises in that area, because I know that Fayetteville really hasn't been developing around I-540 like Rogers has, and Fayetteville has a lot of potential.

Thanks Mith.

I myself would love to see highrises in that area, because I know that Fayetteville really hasn't been developing around I-540 like Rogers has, and Fayetteville has a lot of potential.

Yeah that's really surprised me a bit. I know some of the land isn't as suitable for development. Some of it is a bit hilly, and then there's well known spot with the endangered fish. But there are still areas that lend themselves well to development in Fayetteville. I haven't quite figured out why there has been so little development along I-540 here in Fayetteville. You could even argue that if they didn't build the Sam's where they were nothing would be happening in that area either. Rogers has done a very good job developing around I-540. I also think Rogers did a very good job annexing land years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing the downtown area build up, but it would also be nice to see the area around I-540 in northern Fayetteville be developed in such a way also.

Edited by Mith242

Yeah that's really surprised me a bit. I know some of the land isn't as suitable for development. Some of it is a bit hilly, and then there's well known spot with the endangered fish. But there are still areas that lend themselves well to development in Fayetteville. I haven't quite figured out why there has been so little development along I-540 here in Fayetteville. You could even argue that if they didn't build the Sam's where they were nothing would be happening in that area either. Rogers has done a very good job developing around I-540. I also think Rogers did a very good job annexing land years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing the downtown area build up, but it would also be nice to see the area around I-540 in northern Fayetteville be developed in such a way also.

If you take a drive up to Rogers, you'll see that around the Perry Road exit, there are fields of red dirt along several buildings in a downtown like setting. B)