Good New Restaurants

Went to "Copper" last night. Finally Charlotte has a "fine dining" Indian place. Food was great (although it could have been spicier), service was incredible and the interiors are beautiful. All in all, a great experience. If you've never tried Indian food, this would be a great place to expand your horizons. Skip dessert, though. It's on East Blvd in Dilworth right in front of Paper Skyscraper.

Last week I tried the new Sonoma at BoA Corporate. The hottest, sexiest restaurant interior in town. Even the restrooms are cool. The upfit must have cost a small fortune (with the bank subsidizing, I assume). The food? Not bad, but the architecture is better.

Edited by Miesian Corners

I second Sonoma - the place is beautiful. I'd like to know who their interior designer was. Also, prices and portions are actually pretty reasonable. I've tried to go to Copper twice - jumping the gun each time. I guess they got a bit behind and pushed back their opening day. Glad to hear the positive review though.

One place I wouldn't recommend is Jaimama - the new "coastal cuisine" restaurant on East Blvd. in the former Vidalia & Grapes location. We waited close to an hour and a half before our entrees arrived, it was quite pricey, they didn't include some side dishes that were supposed to come with the meals and it really wasn't that good. I ordered Jamaican Jerk ribs that had no meat on them and didn't taste like jerk at all. Our server was really funny and entertaining though. I'd chalk it up as a place to go for an appetizer and a glass of wine out on the patio.

I guess you have to cut them some slack for being new, but apparantly some places - such as Copper - can pull it off right from the beginning.

That's a shame about Jaimama, since I was planning on trying it in the next couple of weeks.

The Ratcliffe (In the Ratcliffe Florist space) was excellent for lunch. Large portion, delicious food, reasonably priced, decently good service, and nice use of the space.

Went to "Copper" last night.  Finally Charlotte has a "fine dining" Indian place.  Food was great (although it could have been spicier), service was incredible and the interiors are beautiful.  All in all, a great experience.  If you've never tried Indian food, this would be a great place to expand your horizons.  Skip dessert, though.  It's on East Blvd in Dilworth right in front of Paper Skyscraper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you try the chicken tikka masala? I love that stuff..

Did you try the chicken tikka masala? I love that stuff..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a matter of fact, I did have the chicken tikka masala. The waiter was disappointed in me for not trying one of the other dishes, but since it's my favorite dish, I had to have it.

Their tikka masala was good, but not as good as Situl's (behind Park Rd Shopping Center). It was rich, but not spicy enough for me. What was excellent were the homemade vegetable samosas. The service was some of the best I've had in Charlotte, period. There's nothing bad to say about the place. Sure hope the building's ghost doesn't visit them. She's made a disaster out of every establishment to locate there.

As a former Londoner, I am an expert on Indian restaurants. As you may ormay not know, Indian restaurants in London are as plentiful as McDonalds in the U.S. I don't live in Charlotte but often visit from Florida. I generally eat Indian when there. I don't remember the names of the restaurants but can recall the locations. First, the Diamond on Monroe Road was not very good. The lunch buffet was very bland. The lunch buffets at the place on Kings Drive, South Boulevard and Independence (next to the Brazilian restaurant) were good. The best was the last mentioned. I used to really enjoy the one acrosse Independence from the last one above that I mentioned. It was very difficult to get there because of the traffic, etc. I see that it is now closed now. It was the best in my opinion. I ate at Ala Baba's once. It was awful indian food. It seems that many people assume that Indian food is hot. It depends on what is ordered. My favorite is VINDALOO. It is hot and if it isn't, it isn't vindaloo. For those that enjoy good flavour without the heat, tikka and/or marsalla are great. Vindaloo has a vinegar base others may have a tomato or coconut base depending on your desire. Some advise. Go to a store that sells Patak indian products and pick up a jar of tandori sauce. You mix it with plain yougart and let it marinate chicken. Throw it on your BBQ and you will have a great BBQ'd chicken. I enjoy making chicken leg tandori and it can be used to make great wings. As you can see, I love Indian food. As a matter of fact, that is about all I can cook. One more suggestion, buy a pack of papadums. Put them individually in the microwave for about a minute and you will have a great snack.

I would also suggest those that are experimenting with exotic foods to try Vietnamese. The soups are incredible. I used to prefer Thai, but I think that I prefer vietnamese. There are many really good restaurants in Charlotte. Enjoy them. I do.

Now my criticism. Why can't one get good Carolina BBQ in Charlotte? I have tried the well know places with dissatisfaction. Please tell me which place is best. I know that it abounds in surrounding towns.

Not a New Restraunt, but definately one to visit. Latorres on 5th right next to the new club Menage. Excelent dishes...Try the Nicaraguan BBQ app (I can't spell so please forgive me haha). BUT IT IS SIMPLY UNBELIVABLE !!!

a2

Yes, I have tried Spoon's and to tell the truth, I was very disappointed. As far as Central American BBQ, I used to live in Panama and have probably had it during my travels, but I just have a desire to eat good Carolina BBQ when there. I also have to have those great salt/pepper catfish when I am there as well. Can't beat the Carolinas for catfish.

Does anyone have a clue what that new place is on South Blvd, just up from Ideal Way? Its kind of a funky building with a weird overhang to the right side. Dont even know if its a restaurant, but there's tables outside on a patio. Almost looks like its geared toward bikers... Was hopeing for some guinnea pigs on here to let me know how it was.

Also, has anyone noticed that alot of places are opening patio/sidewalk dining. East blvd, uptown, I can think of about 5 different restaurants that have recently built or started outside dining. A very good sign if you ask me...

Does anyone have a clue what that new place is on South Blvd, just up from Ideal Way?  Its kind of a funky building with a weird overhang to the right side.  Dont even know if its a restaurant, but there's tables outside on a patio.  Almost looks like its geared toward bikers...  Was hopeing for some guinnea pigs on here to let me know how it was.

Also, has anyone noticed that alot of places are opening patio/sidewalk dining.  East blvd, uptown, I can think of about 5 different restaurants that have recently built or started outside dining.  A very good sign if you ask me...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the place is called Mac's, owner of Bonterra and Ratcliffe, there was a story in the Charlotte Weekly I believe.

Bubba's is good. Take a little longer drive to the BBQ King. The Jr. Pig dinner is pretty good. (the regular Pig dinner is too much. LOL)

And if you are driving around the Lake, you might run into Ray's Pig Palace on Wheels. Mobile BBQ. There is a carribean one too but I'm not sure of the name.

Probably the best BBQ in CLT is on Beaties Ford Rd. in this cinder block building that looks like it is going to fall over. I don't remember the name but it will be on the left just before you get to 85 as you head out of town.

Does anyone have a clue what that new place is on South Blvd, just up from Ideal Way?  Its kind of a funky building with a weird overhang to the right side.  Dont even know if its a restaurant, but there's tables outside on a patio.  Almost looks like its geared toward bikers...  Was hopeing for some guinnea pigs on here to let me know how it was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ate at this place last night, and I thought the food was good,service was nice and attentive. The food was moderatly priced. I had the Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich with Mac N Cheese for $5. The pork was pulled and shredded but not minced,and the bbq sause was kinda like a mix between western and eastern carolina style. I liked the bbq sause a lot. The mac n cheese was also delecious. Everone else at the table really enjoyed the food as well. "Mac's also has a good amount of beers to select from. They also serve tacos,ribs,baked beeans,grouper sandwiches,wings, and more.

Edited by fulcrumsf

Thanks for the info bud :) . I've been meaning to try it for lunch, but have just not had the chance.

I was about to try that BBQ place today that Metro spoke of on Beaties Ford, but the work phone ruined that when I was on my way over. Maybe tomorrow, iv'e been dying for some good BBQ.

Il Posto - new and I highly recommend it.

Located in the old Spotz space at Phillips Place next door to Upstream.

It's in the same family of restaurants as Coco, Luce and Toscana, and most closely related to Coco in price and menu choices.

Having been there for dinner twice and coffee/dessert a few times now (what can I say - living right next door - too convenient) here is my take on a couple of the selections:

A spinach pasta with light cream sauce, pancetta and various veggies - very good, well balanced flavors - championing the cause for fresh pressed pasta, as the spinach pressed version here is thick and has great texture - good light spring/summer dish.

Gnocchi with tomato/basil/real mozarella - classic bruschetta ingredients over fresh potato gnocchi and you have the idea - it looks heavier than it tastes imo. Not a very complicated dish but all the ingredients are of high quality and taste great.

Tiramisu - it's in the traditional style - mascarpone and espresso soaked biscuits - and following the trend here - exceptionally prepared.

The cost works out to be about ~15/entree, ~6/dessert, ~30/bottle of wine - which makes it great value for the south park area and a good high end Italian restaurant overall.

BTW, I went to Bubba's for dinner on Fri. Here is the run-down:

Great Eastern Style BBQ (on a scale of one to ten. I give it a 8.5)

but...

HORRIBLE RIBS !!!

I maybe give them a 3 on a scale of one to ten. (I am being generous with the score of three)

On a side note they did have Great Slaw and Potato salad.

A2