Good New Restaurants

Il Posto - new and I highly recommend it.

Located in the old Spotz space at Phillips Place next door to Upstream.

It's in the same family of restaurants as Coco, Luce and Toscana, and most closely related to Coco in price and menu choices.

Having been there for dinner twice and coffee/dessert a few times now (what can I say - living right next door - too convenient) here is my take on a couple of the selections:

A spinach pasta with light cream sauce, pancetta and various veggies - very good, well balanced flavors - championing the cause for fresh pressed pasta, as the spinach pressed version here is thick and has great texture - good light spring/summer dish.

Gnocchi with tomato/basil/real mozarella - classic bruschetta ingredients over fresh potato gnocchi and you have the idea - it looks heavier than it tastes imo. Not a very complicated dish but all the ingredients are of high quality and taste great.

Tiramisu - it's in the traditional style - mascarpone and espresso soaked biscuits - and following the trend here - exceptionally prepared.

The cost works out to be about ~15/entree, ~6/dessert, ~30/bottle of wine - which makes it great value for the south park area and a good high end Italian restaurant overall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thx for the head's up on this one. I will definately have to check this place out. It sounds great ! :thumbsup:

BTW, welcome to UP !!!

:D

A new high-end steak restaurant was just announced in today's CBJ.

We will be getting a Del Frisco (which I've never heard of) at Piedmont Town Center. They are apparantly priced similar to The Plam, with the sample price of $49 for a bone-in ribeye.

Charlotte will be the 7th city in the country to get one. They currently are in New York, Las Vegas, Denver, Dallas, Fort Worth, and Orlando.

Maybe they will give monsoon a run for his money in the steak department.

A new high-end steak restaurant was just announced in today's CBJ.

We will be getting a Del Frisco (which I've never heard of) at Piedmont Town Center.  They are apparantly priced similar to The Plam, with the sample price of $49 for a bone-in ribeye.

Charlotte will be the 7th city in the country to get one.  They currently are in New York, Las Vegas, Denver, Dallas, Fort Worth, and Orlando.

Maybe they will give monsoon a run for his money in the steak department.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and yet another steakhouse in SouthPark.

I'm also surprised no one has promoted Little Village Grill

It's a very inexpensive quick sandwich/pita grill in Gateway Village - 700 Block of W. Trade.

Great gyros - pretty good grilled chicken subs too.

They're also in the running for best fries in Charlotte imo.

Edited by nmcheese

• 2 weeks later...

To weigh in on the new restaurant Jaimama, I had dinner there with a friend on last evening and it's pretty much in line with the past comments. (I'm a whore for good dining experiences, specifically the food and I've tried many restaurants in Charlotte that's worth anything at least once :thumbsup: ). First, their logo is cool, I do like that. On a 10 scale, I'd give this place a 3.5. We had a bottle of wine (okay sauvignon blanc), appetizers: the rock shrimp dip and the fried green tomatoes with crawfish. the crawfish tasted like they'd been in the freezer for months (i've had fresh crawfish and these weren't). entrees: the halibut and the cajun grouper. both appetizers tasted like they were right out of the frozen food section of Food Lion. my grouper was the dryest piece of fish i've ever had in my life, but i ate it. my friend's halibut was really moist, but it was poorly seasoned. it seemed that the cooks were afraid to use any salt, pepper or garlic. Needless to say, dessert was a no-no. we simply went next door to Sole for the awesome tres-leches!!! Although i'm not a fan of indian food, i will give Copper a try.

Went to Copper again on Friday night. Another good meal (service was a bit slow, but I was in no hurry).

Stay away from dessert at Copper. Not that it was bad, just skimpy and expensive. Besides, Indian's are not known for their cakes, pies and ice creams.

That leads me to wonder aloud: Why are there no dessert places in Charlotte? Winston-Salem has a great little place called The Dessertery and Columbia has a place down in Congaree Vista right on Gervais (can't remember the name). All they do is dessert, coffee and wine. Perfect. Come on Charlotte, step up to the culinary plate. LET US EAT CAKE!

Went to Copper again on Friday night.  Another good meal (service was a bit slow, but I was in no hurry). 

Stay away from dessert at Copper.  Not that it was bad, just skimpy and expensive.  Besides, Indian's are not known for their cakes, pies and ice creams. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How are their prices on entrees?

That leads me to wonder aloud:  Why are there no dessert places in Charlotte?  Winston-Salem has a great little place called The Dessertery and Columbia has a place down in Congaree Vista right on Gervais (can't remember the name).  All they do is dessert, coffee and wine.  Perfect.  Come on Charlotte, step up to the culinary plate.  LET US EAT CAKE!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually there is uptown...Sugar Shack on Trade St on the square. It is an evening cake, pie, ice cream and coffee place. Have visited twice now and deserts are wonderful and not really expensive. There is minimal service (you order at the counter and they will bring out to you). Check it out...

Dessert Options:

Take out for home enjoyment: Kalinka Ukranian Market - On Park Road Extension by the Park/51 intersection - lots of interesting pastries/cookies/chocolates, in addition to standard european market fare.

Dine in: yes, it's in the Middle of Nowhere compared to downtown - but the Waldhorn (way out south blvd in Pineville) has some of the best desserts in the area, imo.

Closer to town: Dolce Gelato near the Harris Teeter on East Blvd - they have a gelato counter, and now a dining room area in back.

Chain but still good: Manzetti's (related to California Dreamin) at Shops on the Park by South Park has fresh NY cheesecake imported daily - it's dense and ceamy - good stuff.

Actually there is uptown...Sugar Shack on Trade St on the square.  It is an evening cake, pie, ice cream and coffee place.  Have visited twice now and deserts are wonderful and not really expensive.  There is minimal service (you order at the counter and they will bring out to you).  Check it out...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well now! Who knew?! Kinda confusing, seeing that the Sugar Shack is the same space as Harpers to GoGo (they change the name at night). Need to get some signage up there, especially since H2GoGo is closed at night. The neon would work better on that spot for what's actually open there in the twilight hours.

Look forward to trying it out (and getting fatter than I already am).

Catnot, Copper is kinda pricey. It's a "fine dining" Indian place. Worth the money, though.

Catnot, Copper is kinda pricey.  It's a "fine dining" Indian place.  Worth the money, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try Copper for lunch. You can have an entree with soup or salad and the yummy puffy bread for the $7 range (smallish portion, buy oh so tasty). Prices jump up considerably for dinner - around mid $20.

Has anyone been to the Philosopher's Stone? It replaced Bayou Kitchen on 7th Street in Elizabeth. I'm not quite sure if it is a full restaurant or just a bar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I've been there, the food is good for bar food, and the service is ten times better than the Bayou Kitchen was. I always had horrible service when it was the Bayou Kitchen.

Yeah I've been there, the food is good for bar food, and the service is ten times better than the Bayou Kitchen was. I always had horrible service when it was the Bayou Kitchen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind of food is it?

I went to Bayou Kitchen and I thought it was good and I liked the casual atmosphere, but it was priced too high for what I got and our service was awful, too.

It looks like this new place is doing well as everytime I go by there are a lot of people out on the patio. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.

What kind of food is it?

I went to Bayou Kitchen and I thought it was good and I liked the casual atmosphere, but it was priced too high for what I got and our service was awful, too.

It looks like this new place is doing well as everytime I go by there are a lot of people out on the patio.  Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Typical bar food, I had the Rebuen with fries I think, and we had stufffed peppers for an appetizer, Some of my friends had the Philly Cheese Steaks and I think a Chicken Cordon Bleu. The food I thought was similar to Jack Mason's.

I'm tired of all these anti-chain snobs... :)

McComick and Schmicks is wonderful!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, it's ok, but I'd say wonderful is pushing it. I do appreciate their el cheapo happy hour bar food. You just can't beat a half-pound cheeseburger and fries for $1.95. There are several U.P. posters who can vouch for me on this one (you know who you are). :alc:

Nah, it's ok, but I'd say wonderful is pushing it.  I do appreciate their el cheapo happy hour bar food.  You just can't beat a half-pound cheeseburger and fries for $1.95.  There are several U.P. posters who can vouch for me on this one (you know who you are). :alc:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

all i can say is that i ate there for the first time tonight. it was one of the best seafood dishes i have ever had. the restaurant was packed, which has to be good for downtown pedetrian activity and nightlife.

i dunno about a 2 buck cheeseburger... but my 20 buck grouper was damn good.

i dunno about a 2 buck cheeseburger... but my 20 buck grouper was damn good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...snob comes out...I like Aquavina better. Gotta admit M&S is good, but can't help myself when it comes to handing over the hard earned cash. I like it to go to a locally owned eatery. Kinda like keeping it in the family.