Good New Restaurants

...snob comes out...I like Aquavina better.  Gotta admit M&S is good, but can't help myself when it comes to handing over the hard earned cash.  I like it to go to a locally owned eatery.  Kinda like keeping it in the family.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i haven't tried aquavina yet. we walked around after dinner last night and saw some places we intend to go this summer. aquavina was one of them... but with you recommendation, we'll bump that to the top of the list.

I noticed tables in the old ratcliffe building, but it was empty and closed. was that a restaurant recently?

I noticed tables in the old ratcliffe building, but it was empty and closed.  was that a restaurant recently?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was that Ratcliffe on the Green - formerly Irish Blessings? Ratcliffe on the Green is the same group that runs Bonterra in Dilworth. Wonder why it was closed?? It hasn't been open very long. Irish Blessings didn't last long in that space though. Sort of an awkward space for a restaurant. And, always really pricey given the small size and location.

Was that Ratcliffe on the Green - formerly Irish Blessings? Ratcliffe on the Green is the same group that runs Bonterra in Dilworth. Wonder why it was closed?? It hasn't been open very long. Irish Blessings didn't last long in that space though. Sort of an awkward space for a restaurant. And, always really pricey given the small size and location.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it used to be Irish Blessings, that location doesn't really provide any parking solutions for the clientel that would normally eat there. It also doesn't have much residental or nightlife foot traffic on that side of Tryon yet which doesn't help.

Aquavina located on the other side of the Green is more vissible on College and also has a valet service, which helps out a lot Im sure. And Fuel gets alot of the daytime traffic.

Edited by fulcrumsf

I had dinner at the Dilworth Shomars (east blvd) last night with a bunch of people. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food, service and the very reasonable prices. Its probably why it was the only restaurant that was completely packed with people while the rest on the street were almost empty in comparison.

shomars is an interesting phenomenon. it is pretty popular at quite a few of their locations.

their "show me showmars" line in their tv ads is one of those that sticks in the brain for hours and you have to purge it somehow. maybe that is why their so popular.

i think a lot of the restaurants on that stretch of east blvd stay busy... cantina, city tavern, brixx, [and non-local chains like outback and moe's], etc.

This isn't very new (little over a year I think), but Arpa at the bottom of Interstate tower has great Spanish food. They are actually moving to where Sonoma's was at Trade and Church and will open there early August. Going from about 40 seats to 160 in the new location. The old one will still remain for catering parties I think and Sonoma is gone. Give it a try if you get the chance.

On the BBQ note: I dont know how this compares to other places mentioned earlier in the thread, but Harpers in South Park (owned by same company as Arpa) has some Great BBQ. I tried it last week and will be very impressed if the other restaurants taste better then Harpers...

I had dinner at the Dilworth Shomars (east blvd) last night with a bunch of people.  I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food, service and the very reasonable prices.  Its probably why it was the only restaurant that was completely packed with people while the rest on the street were almost empty in comparison.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have never been to that location, but I noticed from an ad that they have vegetables and table service at night. I don't believe any of the other locations have that.

But, don't forget the two drink minimum...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, grrl, there is no minimum. On second thought maybe there is, but I've yet to visit and have less than 2 drinks. Happy Hour is from 5 to 6:30. Oysters, wings, salmon patties, shrimp quesadillas. All $1.95. For those out SouthPark way, they do it there too. And although I've not tried it, I hear Sullivan's in South End has a similar deal for happy hour.

dubone, I think you'll enjoy Aquavina. It's owned by Stefan LaTorres (also owner of LaTorres on 5th St). Got some wild artwork. The wall mural was misunderstood by many when the place first opened, so it was "touched-up". Let's just say it looked anatomically "masculine". Rest assured, you may now have dinner there and not look at a giant set of...

I had lunch at Ratcliffe just last week, so maybe they closed for the week of the 4th. Lunch was great and the portions were huge.

Showmars is always a great standby. I'm especially fond of flounder night (and I am gaining the weight to prove it). I wish the one on East Blvd served breakfast like the one on 7th Street, though. They have a great cheap breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

I just at at this place called NoFo located next door to The Visulite Theater on Elizabeth. Although I believe this place used to be located on Hawthorne somewhere, I have never eaten at it's previous location. NoFo is like a giftstore/bar/resturant. They have a $1 menu item everyday from 5:00pm-6:30pm. When I got there I had just missed the $1 specials. We ordered the Calimari, Southwest Springrolls an Scallops as our appetizers. The Calimari was great, lightly breaded deep fried, tossed with capers, tomatoes, fresh herbs, lemon, parmesan and olives -$8.50. Southwest Springrolls served with creamy cucumber salsa & spicy garlic sauce - 8.50 Full order, half order - 4.75. I highly recomend getting their Peanut-sesame-soy sauce for dipping. And the Scallops were pan seared served with spinach in a light olive oil -$8.50. But we only got 3 scallops.

I realy liked this place and recomend it to anyone. Servings were smaller on some of the appitizers like the Scallops, but more plentyfull on the Southwest Springrolls and the Calimari. The atmosphere was a little trendy but the prices were not too bad. And the service was good.

You can view their menu at www.nofo.com

Yeah, I went there for brunch on Sunday. I thought it was delicious and reasonably priced. Their menu is kind of small, but they have daily specials and variations. The decor is very cute and artsy-trendy and they have a store attached with all kinds of neat things, including some gourmet food items and treats for your dog or cat. I think it will go along great with the Elizabeth Ave redevelopment.

• 1 month later...

Tried the new Asian place called Bee's on Monford Drive last night. It's a Vietnamese/Thai combo place. The menu is only two pages as opposed to most Asian places where the menu resembles a coffee table book.

Food was good, but pricey for what I got (Pad Thai, $12.95). The spring rolls were excellent.

If you're not a fan of garlic, beware. I have soiled the air of our office today with garlic breath.

Funny thing, the building used to house the Charlotte Weight Watcher's offices.

Edited by Miesian Corners

Tried the new Asian place called Bee's on Monford Drive last night.  It's a Vietnamese/Thai combo place.  The menu is only two pages as opposed to most Asian places where the menu resembles a coffee table book.

Food was good, but pricey for what I got (Pad Thai, $12.95).  The spring rolls were excellent.

If you're not a fan of garlic, beware.  I have soiled the air of our office today with garlic breath.

Funny thing, the building used to house the Charlotte Weight Watcher's offices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good to know; I've thought about trying that place.

Has anyone been to Creation on The Plaza near Central?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how new this place is, but I ate at the Fig Tree recently on 7th street near Hawthorne at the Lucas House. The food is excelent, as we ordered Kobe Beef & Foie Gras for appetizers, and I had the Lamb, my friends had the Trout and the Pork Loin. Service was good, but it di take long to get our food. I am asuming they have a very small kitchen, the food was however prepared very well, and the resturant had a very intamite charm to it.

http://www.charlottefigtree.com

• 2 weeks later...

Another dinner out this weekend. Since I'm about to be a full-time student again, I guess I should begin watching my eating out habits. Untill then, I'll continue paying someone else to cook.

I went to the "new" Patou on East Blvd Saturday night. The steak au poivre was great, as was my chocolate crepe. Prices really aren't bad. My entree was the standard steak and pomme frites with green beans (haricot vert). Paid $15.99 and dessert was $4.50. Service was attentive, but the kitchen was slow. I will go back before my income goes away.

Another dinner out this weekend. Since I'm about to be a full-time student again, I guess I should begin watching my eating out habits. Untill then, I'll continue paying someone else to cook.

I went to the "new" Patou on East Blvd Saturday night. The steak au poivre was great, as was my chocolate crepe. Prices really aren't bad. My entree was the standard steak and pomme frites with green beans (haricot vert). Paid $15.99 and dessert was $4.50. Service was attentive, but the kitchen was slow. I will go back before my income goes away.

i'm planning on going there one of these weekends.

a slow kitchen though, is part of the legal requirements for a french restaurant.

A red star no less. Conspiracy or coincidence? Mmmmm.

Very insightful, graydog. Before you know it, the pinko commie French wait staff will strike in support of their Gaulish brethren. ;)

Wow. Just got a taste of what I would be like if I were a right-wing conservative. Not pretty.

Edited by Miesian Corners

• 1 month later...

Good to know; I've thought about trying that place.

Has anyone been to Creation on The Plaza near Central?

I just have to say that Creation's Sunday brunch is out of this world. I was very impressed. The first time I went there I had toasted almond french toast which came with fresh fruit on the side and I had a side of homefries, which were unique and spicy. They have 3 different kinds of mimosas...I had the pomegranate, yummy. The next weekend I had the beligian waffle topped with fresh fruit which was scrumptious and it comes with a cream cheese egg roll on top which was heavenly. This time I got the mango mimosa which I liked even better than the pomegranate. We got a side of breads this time around which included 3 chocolate chip and 3 blueberry muffins with a container of jam. Next time around I think I may try their fritatta. I highly recommend their brunch.

I have a hard time during the week with the menu just because everything is *very* spicy when it comes to their noodle bowls, so I can't eat there as often as I might like to. The scallop entree is very good though and the desserts are always excellent.

I just have to say that Creation's Sunday brunch is out of this world. I was very impressed. The first time I went there I had toasted almond french toast which came with fresh fruit on the side and I had a side of homefries, which were unique and spicy. They have 3 different kinds of mimosas...I had the pomegranate, yummy. The next weekend I had the beligian waffle topped with fresh fruit which was scrumptious and it comes with a cream cheese egg roll on top which was heavenly. This time I got the mango mimosa which I liked even better than the pomegranate. We got a side of breads this time around which included 3 chocolate chip and 3 blueberry muffins with a container of jam. Next time around I think I may try their fritatta. I highly recommend their brunch.

I have a hard time during the week with the menu just because everything is *very* spicy when it comes to their noodle bowls, so I can't eat there as often as I might like to. The scallop entree is very good though and the desserts are always excellent.

Because of your post we went to Creation for brunch and were very pleased. The menu is small but contains all the brunch favorites. Most items have some aspect to them that make them "Asian-inspired" like the cream cheese egg roll mentioned or the basil bacon. My husband got the Fall Hangover special which included eggs, bacon, homefries, and french toast all for $9. The prices are very reasonable. The hours for brunch are 11-3.

The interior is very cool--it used to be Porter's Paint store. It looks like a fun place to hang out and have a few drinks and we're definitely going to go back and try dinner sometime.

Because of your post we went to Creation for brunch and were very pleased. The menu is small but contains all the brunch favorites. Most items have some aspect to them that make them "Asian-inspired" like the cream cheese egg roll mentioned or the basil bacon. My husband got the Fall Hangover special which included eggs, bacon, homefries, and french toast all for $9. The prices are very reasonable. The hours for brunch are 11-3.

The interior is very cool--it used to be Porter's Paint store. It looks like a fun place to hang out and have a few drinks and we're definitely going to go back and try dinner sometime.

yeah, this place is great @ night. i have only been there to drink, so i can't comment on the food. @ night the lighting is perfect... great bar, nice patrons, and best of all good ventilation. you could be sitting next to someone smoking @ the bar and hardly notice.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Whenever we seem to go there it is not that busy so I hope that people hear about it and it catches on. This past Sunday I did try their bacon and it was yummy...nice smoky flavor. My husband had their vegetarian Eggs Benedict this time (I again opted for the Belgian waffle) and we both practically licked our plates clean. It's such a unique place and I hope they do well. I'm actually about to go up there because I ordered some pies from them for a holiday work shindig--I'm not much of a cook myself unfortunately ;)

What time were you there foxy? I went with two friends Sunday morning as well. The only disappointment was no choice of mimosa. I was sorta looking forward to a pommegranete one. Otherwise, the food was great! Those cream cheese egg rolls are the bomb.