Good New Restaurants

I checked out the Brass Tap in SouthEnd the other week. Unfortunately, my 20-month-old son decided to go nuts in the restaurant for lunch, so we got our entrees to go. Good stuff, though. The French Dip was excellent, and the pretzel bites we had while we were actually at the restaurant were delicious and came with a plentiful serving of beer cheese dip. I have to say, I didn't expect this good of food to come out of a mostly beer joint. Tons of beer on tap, but as I had to return to the office afterwards, I did not imbibe.

I also checked out Pint Central last week. The name of this place certainly does not reflect the quality of food and cocktails that are also served, in addition to the beer of course. I guess I just thought that "pint central" meant "this is a beer bar...and, by the way we serve liquor and we have some food too." But the cocktails there are awesome - I had a Rosemary as rye whiskey drink (can't remember the name) with a nice fresh sprig of Rosemary. They have a huge selection of bitters, and make a pretty mean sazerac with an absinthe rinse (I.e. The way it is supposed to be done). Apps are half price until 7, and I enjoyed some delicious calamari and bacon chicken poppers for $4-5 each. I had the meatball hoagie (ok, not fancy) for dinner, and it was simply delicious. You could tell that everything was made in house. The kitchen of this place, as well as their experienced bartenders really deserve a better name than "Pint Central" in my opinion. There is some serious culinary/mixology talent behind the scenes and behind the bar. Really like this joint.

My next new place to hit up is The Workman's Friend. Traveling for a couple weeks, but will give a review as soon as I check it out.

Clark Barlow is doing things no one else around here is trying (that I am aware of). The emphasis on quality, local sourcing of everything, using the whole animal, educated servers, relaxed pace, individual plates of differing tastes are so different from beef (pork, fish) plus veggie plus potato plus bread and turn the table. Two hours at Heirloom is the norm, longer with longer menu selections or larger party. Worth a special trip as the Guide Michelin says.

Ate at Heirloom last week.  Went with the 12 course dinner for 2 (shared).  Delicious.  very filling.  Drank Fonta Flora Saison.

• Like 1

If you haven't been to Ajbani in the Plaza-Midwood area yet, you don't know what you're missing! The food is absolutely amazing! Try the Chicken & Prunes or the Spicy Lamb Tajine. Also, the Tahini and Dark Chocolate Truffles are excellent! 

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add to the chorus of support for The Cellar at Duckworths... Finally had the chance to go there over Labor Day weekend. Flat out awesome. Everything from the ambiance to the food to the cocktails and craft beer selection. My wife had their moscow mule which used fresh ginger as opposed to ginger beer. I was a tad bit excited about being able to choose from a KBS 2014 and 2015. Excellent spot... and yes, nothing like this this in Charlotte. Can't wait to go back.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a new Mediterranean place is going in the old Tijuana Flats spot. I think this is a good concept and there are GREAT people behind it this time. I think something may finally survive here.

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/18003/a-new-mediterranean-restaurant-is-coming-to-east-boulevard-and-its-a-sneaky-big-deal/ 

I don't think it's insensitive at all. Do people believe Mexicans or Latinos are lazy? It's art, it fits in their motif. It is beyond reasonable to jump to the conclusion that latino's are lazy. Beyond reasonable.

I want to BE that Latino. It looks like it captures the atmosphere perfectly. So what if the man is lazy, we all are probably going there to be just like the man.

I'm not one to say people are too sensitive, people are too easily offended, etc. but this... Geez

IMO this is just another reminder of the "somebody is always offended" mentality of our society. And it's just ridiculous to me. I've never viewed Latinos as lazy. Heck, they work just as hard as anyone that I know. I'm sure if the statue was of some drunk middle aged white dude, everyone would laugh at it. Sorry, I just think people need to chill out and quit trying to drive a racial divide stake in between everything. 

I would try the substitution test: if this were a soul food restaurant and the door were flanked by big ole' mammy's, would that be OK? Or a Chinese restaurant with two happy-faced Chin-kees? 

I'd love to have a restaurant full of white people stereotypes. We aren't made fun of nearly enough.

Why? I think it's exactly the same thing

For starters, my Central American wife isn't bothered by this even slightly and once again is befuddled by the silly things Americans get upset about. I'm guessing the Hispanic workers employed there aren't too concerned either. The only people I'm aware of who are upset about it are white Americans.

I would be more concerned with the less than stellar review it got from the Observer. To say the least, Helen was NOT impressed. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/restaurants/helen-schwab-blog/article35586825.html

Not surprising.  I could be wrong, but it just seems like this place was designed to be another bar for the 20-somethings in South End with gimicky, overpriced 'Mexican' food that's acceptable when you get hungry after a few rounds of tequila shots.  I don't know of anyone who actually goes to any of the Bottle Cap Group's concepts specifically to eat.  When your company slogan is 'Food - Fun - Spirits / Eat - Drink - Party', the focus obviously isn't on the food.

Edited by cltcane
  • Like 1

Owners of Artisinal in Banner Elk are planning to open a Charlotte restaurant 'within a year'.  Hope this happens!

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/16807/owners-of-banner-elks-artisinal-restaurant-plan-to-bring-new-concept-to-south-park-within-a-year/

This is REALLY exciting stuff. Where could you guys see this going? Bottom floor of the suntrust building? No way they would do Capitol towers, right? Build to suit?