will la ever become larger than Chicago or NY

catdaddy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LA is the largest City in the United States: see the official MSA census numbers from 2000 here.

This doesn't even count Orange County and the Inland Empire (San Bernardino and Riverside areas), which puts LA way over the population of other US cities.

Los Angeles has 3.7 million people. New York has 8 million people. LA won't outgrow New York for some time. If comparing the metro populations, however, it is only a matter of time before LA outgrows NYC's metro area. It really depends on what numbers you look at.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This doesn't even count Orange County and the Inland Empire (San Bernardino and Riverside areas), which puts LA way over the population of other US cities.
If you're going to start counting surrounding MSAs for LA, you need to start counting the surrounding MSAs for other cities as well.

You can toss Nassau/Suffolk, NY; Newark, Jersey City, Bergen, and Monmouth NJ plus Stamford and New Haven CT in there for New York.

When it's a fair comparison, I think you'll find that New York is still overwhelmingly the largest metro area in the U.S.

I am not sure where some of the information came from, but Los Angeles is not the largest city in the nation. Los Angeles has 3.9 million people, New York has 8.1 million. Los Angeles has never been the largest city in the nation. In the beginning, Boston was largest, then Philadelphia, and finally New York, where it has remained ever since. LA is slightly larger in land area, but city size is determined by population. New York is listed as the largest, on all lists. LA's growth has been slowing rapidly as well, while New York's is accelerating, so you can't predict the future. Most likely NY will remain the largest. LA has been larger than Chicago since the mid 1980's however.

Last I drove from roughly Palm Springs through Santa Barbars and it was nothing but subburbs and city. I had to stop off in Hollywood for 3 hours just to "beat" the traffic- not something I'd do again since even at midnight the traffic was so bad I nearly lost it. I was travelling from Phoenix. It was well over 110 miles of contiguous sprawl. Chicago as a city has higher urbandensity and you can travel for a good hour and change through its environs if traffic isn't heavy east to west- not including the stretch from Gary. From the south up toward the Wisconsin border take a similar time in my experiences. Chicago as a city is suffering a massive population loss and unfortunately can't compete with the "newer" sunny areas of the southwest just like many of the other urban areas in the midwest. Still 8 or so million is quite large, but I can't see LA- til they run out of water stopping the growth. BTW, this was in 2000. I guess the term city is being used loosely here. I also spend quite a bit of time in Orange county, but don't you dare call that part of LA, lol- the locals I know don't like it a bit.

Peace from DetroitBazaar

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

These are the top 20 metros in the U.S. as of 2000:

1. New York - 21.36 million

2. LA - 16.37 million

3. Chicago - 9.31 million

4. Washington - 7.54 million

5. San Francisco - 7.09 million

6. Philadelphia - 5.83 million

7. Boston - 5.72 million

8. Detroit - 5.36 million

9. Dallas - 5.35 million

10. Miami - 5.01 million

11. Houston - 4.82 million

12. Atlanta - 4.55 million

13. Seattle - 3.60 million

14. Minneapolis - 3.27 million

15. Phoenix - 3.25 million

16. Cleveland - 2.95 million

17. San Diego - 2.81 million

18. St. Louis - 2.75 million

19. Pittsburgh - 2.53 million

20. Denver - 2.45 million

21. Tampa - 2.40 million

22. Cincinnati - 2.05 million

23. Sacramento - 1.93 million

24. Portland - 1.93 million

25. Kansas City - 1.90 million

• 3 weeks later...

LA has plenty of room to expand while NY can only build up...

What if it becomes more economically feasible and more popular to build up? What if we move from a car-based society to one on public transportation... building up makes more sense in this situation.

I don't think LA will overtake NY.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but they're also polluted and the downtown to me seems nowhere near as interesting as NYC, Chicago, or even San Francisco, Boston, or Philly. The cars and interstates in LA seem nauseating to me. And I do not think people will ever want to live in high rises in downtown LA when they are all living in huge houses on the beach or projects, whereas NYC and Chicago actually has life amongst its towers. That is why I do not think LA will ever overtake NYC.

Archived