I-49 One Step Closer to Being Realized

johnnydr87

Anyone know of a time frame on the Bella Vista Bypass. Forgive me if its already been mentioned/posted. We are purchasing land in Gravette, and the drive is a bit more than we wanted, but if the bypass comes in it wond=t be so bad. Also our property value will go up. So I am just wondering about the time frame. Thanks in advance for the answer...

The Bella Vista Bypass has high priority (funding is basically secured), so expect construction to begin in the next few years at the latest. Expect completion around 2010-2012 at the earliest.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update vbfl85, I wish they could have gotten this started years ago. At least it seems like it is going to become a reality finally.

NWA will be a big beneficiary but again, Fort Smith will have much to celebrate here.

I distinctly recall reading (and rereading) an editorial in 2002 by a Stephens Media exec who said studies have predicted that when these highways are finally complete (with Fort Smith being their juncture at I-40) the FSM area will grow as big as NWA is now.

This is going to take awhile, but it's grand news.

NWA will be a big beneficiary but again, Fort Smith will have much to celebrate here.

I distinctly recall reading (and rereading) an editorial in 2002 by a Stephens Media exec who said studies have predicted that when these highways are finally complete (with Fort Smith being their juncture at I-40) the FSM area will grow as big as NWA is now.

Wouldn't that require Ft. Smith to grow to 3-4 times its current size?

All the growth I can see the I-40 and I-49 intersection bringing is may'be a few truck stops and some restaurants. Other than that not much.

First of all I think we'll have to wait and see how long I-49 ever gets completed. Second of all I'm curious to see just how many people will end up using it. Will people make it a somewhat major north-south interstate or are they going to be using other routes? It has potential but with other north-south interstates I'm not sure how much traffic it will draw.

All the growth I can see the I-40 and I-49 intersection bringing is may'be a few truck stops and some restaurants. Other than that not much.

MCheiss,

Again, this wasn't my prediction. It was that of an economic study touted by an editor at Stephens Media...I think the editor may be based in Little Rock but I'm not sure.

Between Fort Smith and NWA, one metro area will (when I-49 and that corridor is complete) have: 1) a port on an American river significant for shipping purposes; 2) have rail yards accessing a major east/west railway, and; 3) have a major interstate crossroad.

Look at other areas where such things are in place...I don't think it's that much a stretch to see Fort Smith growing (as a transit hub) at least as big as the NWA metroplex is now.

MCheiss,

Again, this wasn't my prediction. It was that of an economic study touted by an editor at Stephens Media...I think the editor may be based in Little Rock but I'm not sure.

Between Fort Smith and NWA, one metro area will (when I-49 and that corridor is complete) have: 1) a port on an American river significant for shipping purposes; 2) have rail yards accessing a major east/west railway, and; 3) have a major interstate crossroad.

Look at other areas where such things are in place...I don't think it's that much a stretch to see Fort Smith growing (as a transit hub) at least as big as the NWA metroplex is now.

Ft Smith is hurting right now somewhat, and a lot of that is at the expense of NWA. I think the two areas compete and NWA is winning as it has more professional jobs and Ft Smith's manufacturing base is eroding. Ft Smith's hospitals and services provided to adjacent rural areas make it important but I don't know that it has major growth potential without emergence of a couple of major new employers.

I agree with mcheiss about I-49, which is why I think it's low priority.

Ft Smith is hurting right now somewhat, and a lot of that is at the expense of NWA. I think the two areas compete and NWA is winning as it has more professional jobs and Ft Smith's manufacturing base is eroding. Ft Smith's hospitals and services provided to adjacent rural areas make it important but I don't know that it has major growth potential without emergence of a couple of major new employers.

I agree with mcheiss about I-49, which is why I think it's low priority.

It seems to me that this route is roughly a parallel to the Kansas City Southern railway, which runs through western Benton County.

That railroad, which is one of the few "mid-sized" railroads left in the U.S., was built with the idea of bringing the quickest access from Kansas City to the Gulf of Mexico via Beaumont/Port Arthur and later New Orleans. The KCS promotes itself as the "NAFTA railroad" between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Interesting...I don't know how much tri-nation freight is moving through Gravette and Siloam Springs (there's a LOT of coal traffic for NWA and Texas power plants) but locals say a ton of trains are moving on that line now, which may be KCS' second most profitable line after their Dallas to Birmingham "Meridian speedway" route.

Ft Smith certainly does have potential. But I do think I'd agree with Aporkalypse in that Ft Smith in some ways is hurt being so close to NWA. But it's certainly possible that Ft Smith could find a way to establish itself in some other way. But I think the verdict is still out on Ft Smith. I've seen a few similarities with it being a bit like Pine Bluff was a couple of decades ago too though. I'm not saying it's going to be the next Pine Bluff. But I don't think Ft Smith can take anything for granted either. The next decade or so could be very pivotal for Ft Smith and it's future.

Ft Smith certainly does have potential. But I do think I'd agree with Aporkalypse in that Ft Smith in some ways is hurt being so close to NWA. But it's certainly possible that Ft Smith could find a way to establish itself in some other way. But I think the verdict is still out on Ft Smith. I've seen a few similarities with it being a bit like Pine Bluff was a couple of decades ago too though. I'm not saying it's going to be the next Pine Bluff. But I don't think Ft Smith can take anything for granted either. The next decade or so could be very pivotal for Ft Smith and it's future.

I don't think Ft Smith will end up like Pine Bluff BUT I can see an economic change afoot there akin to what happened at the end of the railroad/agriculture age at which Pine Bluff peaked. Ft Smith has always been a manufacturing-based town and that is ending, just as it is across the country. Pine Bluff lost its professional base gradually to Little Rock and the same is happening to Ft Smith with NWA - the white collar jobs are up the interstate and the educated young professionals are moving alogn with them. I never thought of the parallel but there is one, it's just not as marked.

I don't think Ft Smith will end up like Pine Bluff BUT I can see an economic change afoot there akin to what happened at the end of the railroad/agriculture age at which Pine Bluff peaked. Ft Smith has always been a manufacturing-based town and that is ending, just as it is across the country. Pine Bluff lost its professional base gradually to Little Rock and the same is happening to Ft Smith with NWA - the white collar jobs are up the interstate and the educated young professionals are moving alogn with them. I never thought of the parallel but there is one, it's just not as marked.

Yeah, and I'm not saying Ft Smith will become the next Pine Bluff but there are some similarities. Enough that I might be a little wary of Ft Smith's future. But who knows maybe Ft Smith will find something else to help spur growth. A future I-49 might help, if I-49 does turn out to become a well-used thouroughfare.

Yeah, and I'm not saying Ft Smith will become the next Pine Bluff but there are some similarities. Enough that I might be a little wary of Ft Smith's future. But who knows maybe Ft Smith will find something else to help spur growth. A future I-49 might help, if I-49 does turn out to become a well-used thouroughfare.

I think that vast sum of money would be better spent on economic incentives to lure businesses there. Besides, even if we had the money to start building I-49 tomorrow realistically we're talking about a decade before it would be built.

I really thought Win Rockefeller would've made a great governor if he hadn't developed leukemia. He was a moderate pro-business guy that would've made an agenda of getting jobs.

Ft Smith is the city in Arkansas that would seem most attractive to me for building an auto plant but it's not considered a desirable spot and Marion's the only location being considered in Arkansas. It's a shame as I think something like that would really be a big help to Ft Smith and would be a good fit for the town.

First of all I think we'll have to wait and see how long I-49 ever gets completed. Second of all I'm curious to see just how many people will end up using it. Will people make it a somewhat major north-south interstate or are they going to be using other routes? It has potential but with other north-south interstates I'm not sure how much traffic it will draw.

I haven't seen the environmental documentation for the northern parts of I-49, but for the southern part (north of Texarkana), the projected future traffic (I think the year 2030) was rediculously low, i.e., hardly enough traffic to justify even a two-lane road. But you didn't hear me say that.

It's sort of a running joke about some of freeway/interstate projects in my office that some people want built (like I-49, I-69, Hwy 67 in NE Ark); as in, you may be lucky to see them built in your lifetime. Some of these (like Hwy 67, and I think to a lesser extent I-49) have been sitting on the shelves for decades. I-69 has been on the shelf for about 1 decade so far, we'll see how many more.

MCheiss,

Another running joke-- this time about economists and economic studies. There's a reason why AHTD and other DOT's, including the feds, aren't really using economic benefit/cost analyses or studies to justify major projects like a new interstate anymore. The reason is because anybody can basically make up any number, and still be able to justify it (i.e., it's become almost worthless), since potential benefits are near impossible to quantify and measure, and to a lesser extent costs.

That's why the rest of Arkansas' I-49 will take massive political support to "find" federal funds to pay for it, because there isn't an obvious "current" need. AHTD has bigger fish to fry right now. Of course, these economic studies are often used to help convince politicians and the public that this or that transportation improvement will pay off dividends.

I haven't seen the environmental documentation for the northern parts of I-49, but for the southern part (north of Texarkana), the projected future traffic (I think the year 2030) was rediculously low, i.e., hardly enough traffic to justify even a two-lane road. But you didn't hear me say that.

It's sort of a running joke about some of freeway/interstate projects in my office that some people want built (like I-49, I-69, Hwy 67 in NE Ark); as in, you may be lucky to see them built in your lifetime. Some of these (like Hwy 67, and I think to a lesser extent I-49) have been sitting on the shelves for decades. I-69 has been on the shelf for about 1 decade so far, we'll see how many more.

I remember the toll proposal for I-49 was nixed in part because traffic was supposed to be so low on I-49 between Ft Smith and Texarkana that the tolls would have to be absurdly high to make much difference. Out of that was born the very short-lived idea of putting a toll on the North Belt Freeway to build I-49 because it would be fairly high-traffic.

I remember the toll proposal for I-49 was nixed in part because traffic was supposed to be so low on I-49 between Ft Smith and Texarkana that the tolls would have to be absurdly high to make much difference. Out of that was born the very short-lived idea of putting a toll on the North Belt Freeway to build I-49 because it would be fairly high-traffic.

Ha! I wonder how short-lived that idea was! Maybe one hour? That's funny, I didn't know that.

Ha! I wonder how short-lived that idea was! Maybe one hour? That's funny, I didn't know that.

Yeah, Central Arkansas lawmakers squashed that one within a couple of days. The North Belt was already secured with federal funding, making it a toll road would basically be robbing one part of the state to pay for another.

ITK....it seems like you work on road projects of some kind..but do you mind telling us who you work for and what you do?

ITK....it seems like you work on road projects of some kind..but do you mind telling us who you work for and what you do?

He's mentioned before he has something to do with the AHTD but wants to remain somewhat anonymous so he doesn't get into any trouble. Fine by me, all I can say is I appreciate all the info itk provides. :D

Another running joke-- this time about economists and economic studies. There's a reason why AHTD and other DOT's, including the feds, aren't really using economic benefit/cost analyses or studies to justify major projects like a new interstate anymore. The reason is because anybody can basically make up any number, and still be able to justify it (i.e., it's become almost worthless), since potential benefits are near impossible to quantify and measure, and to a lesser extent costs.

That's why the rest of Arkansas' I-49 will take massive political support to "find" federal funds to pay for it, because there isn't an obvious "current" need. AHTD has bigger fish to fry right now. Of course, these economic studies are often used to help convince politicians and the public that this or that transportation improvement will pay off dividends.

Joke's on me, I guess, but...why the need, then, to finish the Missouri/Arkansas bypass? (And for an interstate-quality highway all the way from Kansas City to Fort Smith?) Isn't that a lot of money and effort to link up a few medium sized Arkansas metro areas to the world?

A question for Itk, or anyone else who can help. Where can I go to see a current map of the path of the proposed Bella Vista bypass? The last one we saw, about 6 years ago, showed the highway running about 800 feet behind our house. We are now concerned that it may be moving closer to us; some very large, expensive homes were just built in what we thought was the direct path of the road. Thanks in advance for your help.

Joke's on me, I guess, but...why the need, then, to finish the Missouri/Arkansas bypass? (And for an interstate-quality highway all the way from Kansas City to Fort Smith?) Isn't that a lot of money and effort to link up a few medium sized Arkansas metro areas to the world?

My guess is that there is a lot more traffic between NWA and Kansas City than Ft Smith to Texarkana. But I do wonder if some numbers are somewhat misleading. I have heard of some people taking the longer route to get to Texarkana, I-40 to Little Rock then I-30 to Texarkana, to stay on an interstate quality road than to take Hwy 71. But I still couldn't say that there would be enough to warrant an interstate there. That and since Missouri and Louisiana are working on their sections of the proposed I-49 you wonder if that might also lead more traffic towards the Ft Smith to Texarkana stretch.

I think the point of i49 is to connect the port of new orleans to middle america and south central canada. so in the grand scheme of things texarkana to fort smith would be important to the surrounding states as well as arkansas.

I think another thing to consider is that I don't think anyone is saying it will never be built. But it could be put off way into the future. Even when it is built it's not going to happen overnight either. Road projects like this just don't and also I think the topogaphy of the Ouachitas will slow things down as well.

Archived