Richmond Sports

eandslee

The Richmond Kickers are also in 1st place in their league....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't know that! Thanks Coupe. It's good to see the Richmond teams doing so well. Now if we can just get the Richmond Braves in the top of their league...we might be able to get more people on board with the idea of supporting the new stadium downtown. Though I would like to see the stadium that is being proposed have more seating for more people...7,500 seats? Come on, that isn't enough for a AAA team!

agreed...not to mention the R-braves blow this year

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a story on today's RTD Sports page about The R-braves being the only AAA team that does not have local management. All the shots are called from Atlanta, and their prime interest is developing players here then promptly calling them up. The R-Braves have the worst record in the league this year.

Keep this in mind people AAA Standards for a stadium is 10,000 seats as the requirements for a new stadium.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My first thought about this small capacity situation was that the A-Braves were preparing to ready Richmond for a lower league classification - maybe Class AA. But then I have read that the new park would be able to comfortably accommodate 10,000, which is still 2000 less than the Diamond's, but would probably satisfy triple A requirements. It's a stretch to believe that over $300M would be invested in an area and facility that would not attract a lot of sell-out crowds. Besides, look at all the free seats for viewers and mooners in the proposed hotel and condo over the outfield wall! :lol:

Edited by burt

Tomorrow is Virginia Derby Day at Colonial Downs in New Kent county off I-64. It is the State's only pari-mutual betting track. Apparently, Virginia Derby's purse grows every year (now $750,000) as does attendance at the track.

Seems odd to me that while the City of Richmond has two off-track betting parlors, Norfolk has none (though one of the other 7-Cities rakes in considerable revenue with its OTB). :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

just got back from the Busch Race at RIR tonight.... very good crowd.. first time I had been there and its also a pretty nice facility. Tomorrow night is Richmond's 28th consecutive sellout race for the Nextel Cup...I'd hate to be stuck in traffic with 108,000 people after that sucker!

Now if we could just bag this Nascar Hall of Fame...... :)

• 1 month later...

Richmond may soon have a Women's Tackle football expansion team...

The NWFA is looking at Richmond for expansion... currently nearby teams exist in D.C. and Norfolk; D.C. is looking for Richmond to be their rival team....

tryouts are Oct. 22-29

Women's Football in the 80fo

In a couple of years the SupHer Bowl will be played at UR Stadium. Go Girls! Rah, Rah, Sis Boom Bah.

:)

Edited by burt

• 4 weeks later...

Professional Basketball Returns to Richmond:

The Richmond Generals of the American Basketball Association open action on the road tonight in Baltimore, but it's not entirely the same game you know.

Walters works with a Maryland-based company that primarily deals in real estate investment, but when he saw the potential success that an ABA franchise could have in Richmond, Walters bought a second home in the River City and got to work.

To complete the package, Walters also secured VCU's Siegel Center as the Generals' home venue. It boasted two qualities he was looking for: a prime downtown location and an undeniable home court advantage.

Richmond's division includes teams in Baltimore, Nashville, Chattanooga and Charlotte.

Pro Hoops Rebounds in Richmond...

oh yeah this too :)

http://www.richmondgenerals.com/

• 1 month later...

High-end racing?

The white-columned Country Club of Virginia radiates genteel wealth and Southern manners.

About two dozen businessmen (and a couple of women) gathered there Thursday under a high ceiling to munch chicken Caesar wraps and talk about -- car racing.

Racing has breached even the most traditional bastions.

It's no secret that motor sports -- the preferred term now -- is big business.

But NASCAR isn't the only player out there.

A crew from Danville motored up to the country club ready to preach the gospel of Grand American Road Racing...........

Grand Am Racing looks to grab high-end market

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw Old Dominion University Play VCU in Richmond last night on ESPN 2. It was nice to see my home town highlighted like that on national TV. Plus, VCU won the game, which made me even happier! It just seems to me that the Siegel Center is too small a venue for a school the size of VCU. I bet there is no way the place can be expanded. Anyone know?

I saw Old Dominion University Play VCU in Richmond last night on ESPN 2. It was nice to see my home town highlighted like that on national TV. Plus, VCU won the game, which made me even happier! It just seems to me that the Siegel Center is too small a venue for a school the size of VCU. I bet there is no way the place can be expanded. Anyone know?

Was the game sold out, Eric? The Siegel Center rarely is filled.

• 3 weeks later...

Richmond keeps CAA tourny until 2012!

I'm pretty sure I'll be going to at least a couple games this year...

The Colonial Athletic Association men's basketball tournament will be staying in Richmond until 2012.

The conference has called a press conference at the Richmond Coliseum for tomorrow morning to announce that a new five-year agreement has been reached with the city of Richmond. Sources said the contract runs from 2008 through 2012..........