IN PROGRESS: American Locomotive Works (ALCO)

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Struever Brothers Eccles & Rouse is not commenting on it's plans for the 16-acre US Rubber Co. complex on between Valley and Kingsley Streets.

Providence Phoenix

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Three interesting points :

"Struever Brothers partnered with the Armory Revival Company for the Rising Sun Mills residential-office development in Olneyville..."

"Providence Journal recently identified it as the partner for a $50 million condo-commercial development in conjunction with the Heritage Harbor Museum"

and the ever popular (not to keep harping on this theme, but...)

"...Struever was rebuffed when he floated an alternate vision for Eagle Square to then-mayor Vincent A. "Buddy" Cianci in 2001"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder what the status of this project is. It's got to be the biggest project in PVD in terms of sheer size: 2.3 million sqf.

SBER doesn't list it on their website anymore (it was American Locomotive Works). Are they just updating or is it dead?

• 1 month later...

I wonder what the status of this project is. It's got to be the biggest project in PVD in terms of sheer size: 2.3 million sqf.

SBER doesn't list it on their website anymore (it was American Locomotive Works). Are they just updating or is it dead?

I've seen some guys poking around over there on site. I'd check with the Streuver website in the next few weeks to see if anything shows up.

• 5 weeks later...

That's a good sign. I'd love to see that project happen.

Hopefully we'll see something happen here soon. I've been watching the mill at Eagle and Kinsley on my way up to PV Pkwy... they seem to be making progress there. With this Licht property being considered for development, the Woonasquatucket River Valley may get its own Power Block!

The US Rubber site is listed on the Tax Credit spreadsheet, which is a good sign.

Hopefully we'll see something happen here soon. I've been watching the mill at Eagle and Kinsley on my way up to PV Pkwy... they seem to be making progress there. With this Licht property being considered for development, the Woonasquatucket River Valley may get its own Power Block!

• 2 weeks later...

OMFG, that's practically the whole Promenade District!

Yes, this just took the lead as the most exciting project in Providence in my opinion. No word on how affordable the housing might be, but I for one would certainly live there.

You can see how big it is on this map I put together a while back.

ProjectsMapv2-1-resized.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

Click to enlarge

It's labelled "SBE&R U.S. Rubber Co. Site" on the top right.

Yes, this just took the lead as the most exciting project in Providence in my opinion. No word on how affordable the housing might be, but I for one would certainly live there.

This is such a big deal that I wonder if it might singlehandedly save the tax credit program--at least for a while. What politician is going to want to stand in the way of a $330 million investment in the heart of Providence.

Click to enlarge

Are you sure that is all of it? My impression is that it also includes the entire area between the river and route 10, or at least most of it...?

Are you sure that is all of it? My impression is that it also includes the entire area between the river and route 10, or at least most of it...?

That's true. Nicholson File is the complex on Acorn St. across the river from US Rubber/ALCO.

So we're talking the pretty much the whole area from Acorn on the east,

Harris on the south,

Charlotte Hope (south of the Woonasquatucket) and Eagle (north of the Woonasquatucket) on the west,

and Valley on the north.

I'm far from sure. That map was drawn a while ago, and the info for this project was taken from a Phoenix article (linked in the first post in this thread) that SBE&R refused to comment on.

Here's Nicholson File. It's bounded by Acorn, Tingeley, Charlotte Hope, and Kinsley.

It's mapped here:

http://204.17.79.245/Website/ppsmill1/view...UID2=%27NFCO%27

Photos here:

http://local.provplan.org/pps/detail.asp?UID=NFCO

The map that Cotuit posted only shows the part of the development on the north side of the Woonasquatucket.

That's true. Nicholson File is the complex on Acorn St. across the river from US Rubber/ALCO.

So we're talking the pretty much the whole area from Acorn on the east,

Harris on the south,

Charlotte Hope (south of the Woonasquatucket) and Eagle (north of the Woonasquatucket) on the west,

and Valley on the north.

Hope RIPTA is watching, because this could lead to the return of the old Promenade Line that went to Olneyville; Promenade to Valley into Olneyville.

Mark

Click to enlarge

That's a fabulous little map. "Little." :rofl:

That's a fabulous little map. "Little." :rofl:

This is a pretty transformative project. The big announcement is tomorrow and that should illuminate the scope of the change that could occur in the Valley. I think however, that like everything, we should expect more change as the project moves forward. It's so big that it may be unrealistic to think that it will stay exactly as is presented. That's just the nature of things.

Archived