The South's next rising star(s)

krazeeboi

We have the cities that have already been established for some time (e.g., Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, etc.) and the ones that are beginning to get more and more national exposure (e.g., Charlotte, Jacksonville, Nashville, etc.). So which Southern cities will be the new up-and-coming vibrant, energetic ones to attract at least regional attention?

You have to mention Charleston when referring to the next big city to emerge from the South. The city already has national and international recognition, and more and more people want to live there for the high quality of life. The new bridge has also placed Charleston in a distinction above other cities...the bridge has been compared to NYC's and San Francisco's bridges countless times.

This city may have lots of history, but it is really starting to embrace the future and grow with it.

So how exactly are the cities named following in the footsteps of those that are already the big dogs or big-dogs-in-training in the South? What are they doing to put themselves "out there"? It's funny, because I see some cities mentioned here, but when I go to the state subforum in which those cities are located, there's little to no discussion about them. I mean "potential" is good and all, but what are these places doing to actualize their potential? Simply having "potential" doesn't cut it.

Edited by krazeeboi

Tampa is a big vibrant city, is in the Tampa-Orlando-Miami Megalopolis and it's wideley known and it's like a Miami Jr. City Population: 356.472 Metro: 2,157,936 many movies and super bowls have been held here and we have the SUPER BOWL IN 2009 GO TAMPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by gjoseph

Although I'll refrain from obscure approximations regarding Tampa's metro/city population (and I'll leave out all the exclamation points too), that city is definitely up and coming in Florida. It's working on plans to build up it's downtown with more infill projects and it's also collaborating a regional effort to improve transportation.

Another Florida city that comes to mind is Orlando. Yes, we all know it's well established tourism sector. However, the city is making great strides in the high tech & manufacturing industries. It too is also involved in regional efforts to improve transporation through commuter/light rail efforts and infill development projects.

Outside of Florida, I'd have to wager Austin, TX with it's young population and impressive job growth, Charleston, SC, and Raliegh, NC.

My list:

1) Birmingham ( great location and good interstate connections)

2) Mobile (could become a tourist destination with beaches and a cruise port)

3) Columbus (strong corporate base with AFLAC, TSYS, Synovus,

Carmike Cinemas. Also its proximity to ATL and Hartsfield)

4) Knoxville (beautiful area with a large university)

5) Greenville (proximity to ATL and Charlotte)

I would watch for those cities to take off soon.

My list:

1) Birmingham ( great location and good interstate connections)

2) Mobile (could become a tourist destination with beaches and a cruise port)

3) Columbus (strong corporate base with AFLAC, TSYS, Synovus,

Carmike Cinemas. Also its proximity to ATL and Hartsfield)

4) Knoxville (beautiful area with a large university)

5) Greenville (proximity to ATL and Charlotte)

I would watch for those cities to take off soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good list :thumbsup: Birmingham's skyline will be quite different by 2010 I would say. A potential 45-story building, a 27-story building, a 25-story building, and several other 25+ story buildings that could become a reality.

So how exactly are the cities named following in the footsteps of those that are already the big dogs or big-dogs-in-training in the South? What are they doing to put themselves "out there"? It's funny, because I see some cities mentioned here, but when I go to the state subforum in which those cities are located, there's little to no discussion about them. I mean "potential" is good and all, but what are these places doing to actualize their potential? Simply having "potential" doesn't cut it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Birmingham, by far. I moved here from Atlanta (17 years there after escaping California in the 80's) over 2-1/2 years ago and haven't looked back. The downtown is growing by leaps and bounds (see the post above for a short run-down). There's been so much pent up demand for new living space. Finally the developers got itchy fingers and started building. Virtually all new projects are presold at 50% before renovation begins. The true validation is that "outside" developers are showing up in droves. For instance, the redevelopment of the old Cabana Hotel into lofts is being done by a California developer who chose Birmingham for their first development outside of California!