Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

but Orlando CBD only consists of the Suntrust cluster and it sure doesnt look 10 millions sqft.

sunshine, you sound like you don't want it to be true. :blink:;)

Now I will add that of Orlando's 10 mil, about 8.5 is private office space. But I believe the 12 mil for Miami would include govt as well.

Orlando's CDB is from Gore to Colonial, and I/4 to Rosalind. It includes the Courthouse. CNL II has almost 300 K of office space, and it looks to be smaller then CNL I. So between the two, they probably have over 700k. So 10 million sounds right.

Orlando's CDB is from Gore to Colonial, and I/4 to Rosalind. It includes the Courthouse. CNL II has almost 300 K of office space, and it looks to be smaller then CNL I. So between the two, they probably have over 700k. So 10 million sounds right.

Actually even a bit more, I believe the CBD is more like from the 408 all the way up north past Marks St. to Lake Ivanahoe, and from I-4 it heads east to Lake Ave just past The Waverly.

http://www.downtownorlando.com/pdf/neighborhoods.pdf

I believe that is correct. They are considered two different office districts. Brickell is where most of the office space has been built in the last 10 years and also where most of the new space is planned. Coral Gables has also exploded with office growth recently and has several office projects planned there. But this isn't taking anything away from Orlando, I agree that what they are doing in attracting business to the region is impressive. I'm willing to bet that a majority of their new space howerver is in the far flung suburbs.

I believe that is correct. They are considered two different office districts. Brickell is where most of the office space has been built in the last 10 years and also where most of the new space is planned. Coral Gables has also exploded with office growth recently and has several office projects planned there. But this isn't taking anything away from Orlando, I agree that what they are doing in attracting business to the region is impressive. I'm willing to bet that a majority of their new space howerver is in the far flung suburbs.

Brickell, do you have a figure for CBD/Brickell ? I thought I had read 12 million, which had me scratching my head, although I know it's the case that Miami has the highest 'office sprawl' index in the U.S, with only 13% of the total inventory in the CBD.

Not really the far-flung suburbs, rather the existing ones like Maitland, Altamonte, Millenia, and well, I guess Lake Nona is pretty far flung.

Brickell, do you have a figure for CBD/Brickell ? I thought I had read 12 million, which had me scratching my head, although I know it's the case that Miami has the highest 'office sprawl' index in the U.S, with only 13% of the total inventory in the CBD.

I looked for numbers and did not come up with anything. Sorry. I did come across the study that you cite with the 13% (don't have the link handy though). I don't think Orlando was include in that study however.

Prahaboheme: I was thinking more along the lines of Lake Mary, UCF and Maitland.

Either way it'd be interesting to see numbers for all of Florida and each of their sub-markets.

• 2 weeks later...

Farmers market makes fresh start

Organizers hope that a new location and a different day revive the Orlando tradition.

Sandra Pedicini | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted November 21, 2005

A downtown Orlando tradition since the 1980s, the weekly farmers market has suffered in recent years from declining attendance.

So this weekend, organizers launched an experiment.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

• 2 weeks later...

ORLANDO LOT SELLS FOR $4.4 MILLION (from the Orlando Sentinel)

1.88-Acre parcel near the corner of Garland and Washington. The tract is on the east side of Garland, north of the former SouthTrust Bank Building. The seller was Central Associates No.1. The buyer was Manohar Janir acting trustee. Chuck Mitchell of First Capital Property Group Inc. and Ron Rogg of CB Richard Ellis Inc. represented the seller. The buyer was represented by Bob Freeman of Robert Freeman & Co.

Edited by jcast

Orlando prepares to stretch to near Osceola

City Commissioner Phil Diamond opposes annexing 44 acres 25 miles from City Hall.

Rich Mckay | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted December 12, 2005

Orlando Sentinel Link

The Orlando City Council is poised to vote today on an annexation of a 44-acre swath of land so far from downtown that a round-trip drive takes about an hour.

To City Commissioner Phil Diamond, to whose district the land would be added, that's just too far out -- especially when the city would have to pay for police, fire and other services.

Driving from the Orlando City Hall parking deck to the property at the northwest corner of Narcoossee and Boggy Creek roads and back, Diamond's car's odometer clocked 501/2 miles.

That's just a hair shy of a round trip from Orlando to Mount Dora.

The majority of the council expressed support for the annexation during a presentation at the council meeting Nov. 14.

Diamond said that he knows he'll likely be the lone vote of dissent, even though it would be added to his district. But he said he wants to make a point.

"If you go across the street and you're in Osceola," Diamond said, "that's too far out."

He added that this is a microcosm of the bigger issue on sprawl, and how and when Orlando should grow.

Hagen Custom Homes LLC, the developers of the Ann M. Scott Property at 14702 Narcoossee Road, say that they want to put in a 200-home development.

If the average home costs about $200,000, the home would bring in roughly $1,000 in property taxes a year, Diamond said, which adds up to $200,000 for the city's coffers.

But the city has no fire station in range of that part of the city and contracts with Orange County for about $1 million a year for services.

He also worries whether Orlando police officers could respond quickly enough.

The proposal had nods of support from Mayor Buddy Dyer and the rest of the council. Dyer and other supporters said that the area is contiguous with the city's boundaries and will help "square-off" a jagged city-boundary.

Also, the city is providing services in that area -- either directly or through contracts with Orange County, so it's not much of a new burden, other commissioners said.

"What's the problem here? I'm not getting it," said Commissioner Daisy Lynum, when Diamond raised his concerns.

The developers, represented by Jason W. Searl, offered some concessions to the city, including that the company wouldn't seek building permits until 2007 and that they would contribute an additional $300 per house to the city to help defray any costs the city has to provide police and fire services.

They also agreed to install sprinkler systems in each house, at a cost of about $2,000 each.

Diamond said that he didn't expect to win the vote, but he wanted to make a point.

"I don't think people have a sense of the distances involved here," he said.

Annexation Route

WHAT HAPPENED: On Nov. 14, Mayor Buddy Dyer and

the majority of the City Council supported adding 44 acres at the northwest corner of Narcoossee and Boggy Creek roads to Orlando city limits.

WHAT'S NEXT: City Council

will vote today on whether to annex the land.

WHO COULD BENEFIT: If the average home in the annexation costs $200,000, then the 200-home development could bring in about $200,000 in property taxes a year.

CONCERNS: Some city officials worry about providing city

services to the area, which is about 25 miles from downtown.

Rich McKay can be reached at [email protected] or 407-420-5470.

It's funny. Sometimes we take for granted just how expansive Central Fla. really is. Going to Kissimmee every day makes it seem routine and not that big of a deal. I've told forumers this before... get a map of Atlanta and superimpose it wih Orlando and you will see that the relative distances from the city core to suburbs and satellite cities is similar or greater in Orlando. Not saying whether its good or bad, only that it is.