Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Sentinel also reporting that John Mellencamp will be performing:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertain...mellencamp.html

I think the Barack interview is prerecorded. a friend of mine said that John Cougar is live but they didn't say that Barack is live... He is in Kissimmee with Bill tonite at Heritage Park or whatever... can anyone confirm if he will be at GMA live? I'd go there b/c my office is 1 block a wiggity way.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back from my 1-month Urban Planet suspension that was laid down upon me for copying news headlines and providing links to the articles. If I do it again, Mr. Monsoon the Moderator has said he will ban me, so I will probably be much less active in this thread....or at least I should be.

Watch out for the fuzz, all you news clippers.

^ Ah, I see. Well from what I gather, as long as one includes ones own commentary the post is legitimized. So while copy/paste the first couple of sentences followed by the link for the whole story (which personally I find helpful in focusing my daily reading, but oh well and la-dee-dah) is cause for censure, if you preface such post with something on the order of:

"A very good article by so-and-so points out the often overlooked facts and under the radar suppositions which make irreverent discussion more relevant and timely than one would otherwise be lead to believe. In this case, the points are cogent and while I could go on and on, I think so-and-so captured the essence better in his/her immutable style so I very much commend her/his work which can be found by following the following link:"

Perchance one may escape the wrath of the mighty wind. Of course I too came under scrutiny for suggesting all politics, even Presidential, is local.

I'm sure there are reasons for "the Rules", but as with all rules, one can always find ways to simultaneously follow and subvert them in maddening ways to the rule maker. I know this from personal experience as a FORMER middle and high school teacher, and therefore rule maker myself. One reason why that former is there. But at least I learned about rules from both sides. Well that and how to beat multiple choice tests (work towards a masters in educational assessment).

I hope to read more from you again bic.

^ Ah, I see. Well from what I gather, as long as one includes ones own commentary the post is legitimized. So while copy/paste the first couple of sentences followed by the link for the whole story (which personally I find helpful in focusing my daily reading, but oh well and la-dee-dah) is cause for censure, if you preface such post with something on the order of:

"A very good article by so-and-so points out the often overlooked facts and under the radar suppositions which make irreverent discussion more relevant and timely than one would otherwise be lead to believe. In this case, the points are cogent and while I could go on and on, I think so-and-so captured the essence better in his/her immutable style so I very much commend her/his work which can be found by following the following link:"

True, but after my last suspension I stopped including any snippets from the actual articles at all--not even 1 or 2 sentences--just the headlines and provided a link to the outside source. That's still against the rules. I only did it to spark discussion on this forum. I'm not going to read an article and paraphrase it like I'm writing an 8th grade book report on it just to share it with others on here. As much as I like being able to give people a heads up on topics and spark some conversation, it isn't worth my time to do that. I guess I'll have to play by the rules, as nonsensical they may be.

Reported on WFTV News yesterday evening...

They are preparing to break ground on a new office building at Summerlin & South.

To be known as the GAI Building, named after it's anchor tenant GAI Consulting.

comingsoon2.jpg

pop1.jpg

pop2.jpg

http://www.gaibuilding.com/

now that's what I'm talkin about!

that building will be the farthest east (along with Thornton Park Central) from the CBD. This will really add to the "row" of offices along South and help build up that corridor. I think B&G is doing it;

Reported on WFTV News yesterday evening...

They are preparing to break ground on a new office building at Summerlin & South.

To be known as the GAI Building, named after it's anchor tenant GAI Consulting.

comingsoon2.jpg

pop1.jpg

pop2.jpg

http://www.gaibuilding.com/

I saw that too. I liked how wftv had to throw in that it was next to their studio. What's the local news without a little self promotion.

• 1 month later...

Not a headline; More so an updated U/C list for the entire metro-- off the top of my head:

1. Events Center

2. Firehouse 1

3. Village at Lake Lilly

4. Peabody #2

5. Hilton OCCC

6. Waldorf/Hilton

7. Bonnett Creek (Wyndham?) (2)

8. Hilton Grand Vacations (2)

9. Hotel? I-Drive & CFPkwy

10. Fla. Mall Expansion

11. Darden- HQ

12. Grand Lakes Resort-- Timeshares

13. ORHS-- Parking structure

14. Burnham

15. VA

16. UCF Med School

17. Retail Mixed Use (I-Drive & Westwood)

18. Lake Eve Resort

19. Dis. CHildren's Hosp.-- FH South

20. OIA- Airside 3 Renovation

21. Retail (I-Drive-- north of Pointe Orl.)

22. Dellagio

23. Hotel- 4 star- 46A at Heathrow

24. Mixed use- I-4 near Lk. M. Blvd.

25. Hotel- 3 star- Lk. M. Blvd.

26. Office- Phase I-- Maitland Blvd.

27. Office- Col. Town Park (46A)

28. Mixed Use (DT Kissimmee)

29. Contemporary Hotel #2

30. Residential- Gore & Westmoreland

31. Millenia- Last Call plaza

32. Millenia Lakes #1

33. Millenia- Aston Martin Dealership

34. Sea World- Manta

35. Universal- Harry Potter

36. Universal- Hollywood Rocket

37. GAI-- depending on if they really are U/C

38. 55W-- will be U/C until they sign a hotel or finish buildout

incomplete list; also does not include road projects; please add more

Of note, not a bad list notwithstanding the downturn in the economy. Meanwhile, we had a new chain enter CFLA this past year, Aldi; I've seen several locations throughout the metro already.

As for Roadwork, here's a list:

1. Fla. TNPK-- widening, I-4 to Buleah Rd. by 429.

2. Rouse Rd.- widening, 408 to University.

3. SR 50/436 Interchange, & widening from 436 to 417

4. 408-- widening, Crystal Lake Dr. to Goldenrod.

5. Avalon Pkwy-- extension, Alafaya to 528

6. 17/92-- improvements (lights/paving/lanes), Maitland Blvd. north into Fern Park

isn't there more stuff?

Edited by JRS1

Maitland Blvd. extension to the Greeneway opening fall 2009.

! When did they start bulding that?!?!! I knew they were extending to the west from 441 to the Western Expressway, but I didn't know they were also going east to the Greeneway! I would have assumed that would be a right of way aquision nightmare.

! When did they start bulding that?!?!! I knew they were extending to the west from 441 to the Western Expressway, but I didn't know they were also going east to the Greeneway! I would have assumed that would be a right of way aquision nightmare.

Whoops! I meant the western beltway. I call the whole thing the Greeneway.

Maitland Blvd. can never be built to the Eastern part of the beltway. Even though that would be a nice crosstown expressway for the North side of town. That area has been developed for decades and there are too many lakes in the way. There aren't any corridores, it just will not happen.

^^

How did I forget that little construction project?

what a great addition to the highway network; if you're going to northern Lake Co. from downtown, this makes for a good alternative route to 441/436 ala Maitland Blvd. But, you still have the streetlights between 441 and I-4 on 414. What this really does is save downtown Apopka from the trucking traffic emanating or ending up on southern 441 (south of Apopka). But I can tell you that I used to drive up 436 to Tavares during rush hour and there is a huge bottleneck in downtown Apopka... and I used to do this from Casselberry near Howell Branch & 436. If they had this extension back then, I would've been lovin it.

Has anyone seen downtown Kissimmee lately? I made it a point to take a swing through Kissimmee during the holidays and I couldn't believe my eyes. Downtown Kissimmee has completely transformed-the City Centre project is an impressive infill that will become a natural extension of the commuter rail transit stop. Way to go Kissimmee for proactively planning ahead. In addition, dozens of buildings in and around downtown have been given a face light. A step in the right direction for sure.

yeah, Kissimmee is the little city that could. They do a lot of good things down there, especially in the downtown. there's so much more to Kissimmee than 192. The commuter rail transit stop is planned to be multi-modal and will be a pretty significant one. they've worked hard to get the funding in place for it. They're also doing a pretty good job partnering with the County to build the shingle creek trail.

for those impressed with downtown Kissimmee, check out downtown WInter Garden. for those who haven't been there before, it is not on Colonial Drive nor is it Fowler's Grove.

I can't wait to see that multi-use project down there as well.

Regarding the TNPK widening, apparently, the widening will go farther west than Buleah Rd. (which is just west of 429), b/c they are going to reconstruct the overpass for Wintergarden Vineland Rd./ 535 which is a mile west of there.

Edited by JRS1