Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

I don't understand this at all. Why are they building it? The only reason is so there is a circle around Orlando. The reason given by the pro side is that it will complete a loop that allows traffic to go around the Orlando core instead of dealing with the gridlock of downtown Orlando. It's a bypass. I get that concept, but the ability to bypass downtown Orlando is already in place if you go the other direction to the East. You don't need a circle to go on a path. The local politicians are fighting to get this done when there is no apparent need. The only reason you may NEED to have the loop on the West side of town is to improve the ability for developers on that side of town. Stop selling the "beltway" theory. It isn't about people going around the city, it is about the possibility of milking local drivers out of toll money.

I just went to Wekiva Springs this past Sunday and I don't even want to think about what may happen with construction rolling through this beautiful wetland.

I believe there were some compromises made so that what is to be built will have less development than there would have been otherwise; in fact, several environmental organizations participated and signed off on it as the best they could hope for because it's prime for development one way or another.

Having said that, in fact, whatever gets built, as bulldogger and jack note, is all about development. The Powers That Be being vetted for the most part (especially these days) by the development community, it's understandable why O-OCEA wants the road. And the Turnpike Authority exists to build roads (if you're a hammer, then everything you see is a nail). What I can't figure out is why the Orlando Sentinel editorial page is in such a hurry on this.

What also concerns me is that, in today's editorial, they're hot to trot for the Feds to procure funds for the I4 interchange. My problem with that is that we have a problem much more in need of a solution than hooking up the Wekiva Parkway to I4 right now. Central Florida's busiest intersection, I4 and FL 408 is a daily Malfunction Junction that frequently backs up traffic on I4 from lunchtime until well after 8pm. For some reason, everyone in the local power structure continues to ignore this (although O-OCEA fixed their side of the interchange with the redo of the East-West). The Sentinel needs to push any funds we can wrangle from the Feds on fixing that mess before they worry about the Wekiva, imho. Of course, that does nothing for the developers short-term, but in the long run it's going to affect job creation because half of central Florida is going to be stuck in a traffic jam because of that interchange.

I recognize that I4 "Transformation" is supposed to rebuild that whole section between Ivanhoe and OBT (and beyond), but this interchange is backing up traffic today and can't wait 5 years or whatever (they're still trying to allocate funds) for resolution. Oddly, none of our local officials seem to be in any rush about it.

Edited by spenser1058

Amazing that the same people (people in general, not any political party or group) can see a value in building this but not in SunRail.

Both are "social engineering" to the same degree - except one will add value to both the urban area and the suburban (they sold you privacy and faux country living so the more urban the core is, the more country your suburban home will be relatively speaking).

Wekiva will only spread out the tax base while straining public works, police, fire, education.

Because spending 1.8 billion on a wasteful construction project that only benefits a bunch of roadway construction companies and housing developers is a "no-brainer" but spending 8 billion on a HSR route that would be a major economic driver, allow many more people access to decent jobs and actually save commuters money is wasteful. That these same people who threw away federal money for HSr are now demanding that the rest of the country pay for their own little pet project is disgusting and selfish.

Agreed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This month's Orlando Magazine released its annual "50 Most Powerful List." While I agree that Jacobs wields a lot of power in Orange County, I'm not sure I agree with her number one spot... I feel like she got it more for stirring up drama and being contrary than actually accomplishing anything. Nonetheless, the article is a good summary of the Who's Who in Orlando - including quite a few developers.

--------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note: Did that cyber war on Orlando ever materialize?

This month's Orlando Magazine released its annual "50 Most Powerful List." While I agree that Jacobs wields a lot of power in Orange County, I'm not sure I agree with her number one spot... I feel like she got it more for stirring up drama and being contrary than actually accomplishing anything. Nonetheless, the article is a good summary of the Who's Who in Orlando - including quite a few developers.

--------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note: Did that cyber war on Orlando ever materialize?

Still going on .. Buddy Dyer's campaign website is regularly down, and some police websites have been up and down.

More of an annoyance than anything.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is awesome!

CNN - Top Travel Destinations for 2012

Orlando

Reid conceded some people might think of this choice as "ridiculous," but he called Orlando a legitimate surprise.

"By Orlando, I refer to Orlando the city," he said. "Local Orlando (residents) will tell you that the amusement park scene has no connection to the city itself."

The metropolis most people breeze by as they head to Disney World will transform into celebrity central as it hosts the 61st NBA All-Star Game in February.

Reid advised travelers to check out the city's lakes, museums and scenic neighborhoods, including the bohemian Milk District.

He also praised Orlando's food scene.

"There's this very big, wonderful, authentic, fantastic and tasty Vietnamese restaurant community called ViMi -- it's more authentic Vietnamese restaurants than you find in New York or San Francisco," he said.

• 3 months later...

Orlando is estimated to have a population of about 2.22 million as of April 1, up from 2.13 million on April 1, 2010...In the Sunshine State, South Florida ranked No.1 with a population of 5.67 million followed by Tampa (2.8 million). Jacksonville ranked No.4 with a population of 1.4 million and Sarasota/Bradenton came in fifth (718,532).

• 4 weeks later...

"Want to buy a mall? Orlando Fashion Square is up for sale."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-orlando-fashion-square-for-sale-20120503,0,2468636.story

Interesting details about its sub-par sales per square foot. Of course, if anyone at City Hall were thinking about the future of downtown, they would attempt to leverage the sale to a great opportunity to move retail back to the core where it started by finding an alternative use for the mall, but as usual when it comes to downtown retail (other than bars), all we hear are the sound of crickets. But I'm not bitter!

I welcome the day that we find out someone is buying the land and redeveloping it. Some nice vertical buildings on Colonial would be great stair casing down and connecting to Baldwin Park. With Cady Way Trail going right through it in a Winter Garden like thoroughfare.

It's a beautiful dream :)

In the meantime, Colonial Plaza has to be smiling.

Not sure where else to put this, but YSL is opening a boutique at the Mall at Millenia.

I am glad to hear about the sale of the Fashion Square. The area is not that nice, but with Baldwin Park now I think it could easily turn around. While it wouldn't likely attract tourists, renovating this mall and adding more/better stores would really win over the locals!

There won't be any plans anytime soon at least until there is a buyer unless the City steps in.

I guess there are 3 general outcomes that could happen:

1) Another firm purchases the mall and invests in improving it.

2) The mall is repurposed into a school, corporate center, or other facility.

3) The land is repurposed, mall may/may not be retained in current form, likely infill development over much of surface parking.