Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

I remember reading in the OBJ article about Dynetech that they were planning on a jumbotron and they were saying it was going to be the first of it's kind Downtown.

They could both be correct. In the sentinel article, they mention that JumboTron is a Sony brand, so they could be the first downtown with a JumboTron, but not necessarily be the first downtown with a large video screen / billboard.

Nemours applies for Certificate of Need

IMO, this is a good thing for Orlando and only heightens our region's presence in the medical field. If this and the UCF Medical School are proposed, Orlando will certainly be viewed as a world class medical city. Can someone PLEASE help me understand why Orlando Regional is fighting this? Does it have anything to do with funding? Arrogance? Home turf defense? I'm really baffled by Orlando Regional's actions on this one.

^ Yes partially that and Nemours is big with treating children with highly specialized care even if there is no ability to pay by parents. This means Nemours would be competing with ORMC/APH for (indigent care) federal money! The feds reimburse hospitals so many dollars on the amount of non insurance covered and lower socio- economic type patients your hospital treats. I would say that is probably one of the issues. And also hospitals are like any other businesses so this would be competition down the block. Just like McDonalds - Billions and Billions served! :P

14 February 2006

NASHVILLE, Tenn.| Gaylord Entertainment Co. (NYSE: GET) today announced that John Caparella, senior vice president and general manager of the Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center, has been promoted to chief operating officer and executive vice president of Gaylord Hotels.

Article...

I hear he'll be staying in Orlando, which implies Gaylord Hotels will be transfering from Nashville to an Orlando office?

East Orange Talks Cityhood

East Orange citizens form a coalition to incorporate their own city stretching from the Greenway east to the St. John's River. Although I'm all for improved public services, this idea is rather far flung. IMO, these individuals would have a much better change of reaching their goals if they were to discuss incorporate into the city of Orlando. After all, this new city would have virtually no proper infrastructure like Orlando does, nor would they have the economic base to independently sustain themselves. They'd still be commuting into Orlando and using the city of Orlando's resources, in a sense. However, the article does somewhat underscore the arrogance of the Orange County Commission; especially "Mayor" Crotty. To me, it appears as if the Commissioners are laughing in these residents' face. Their needs are pressing; I'm an East Orange resident myself...however, I'm within the City of Orlando's limits and I love the services the City provides. What does everyone else think? Do you all think these people would have a better chance of getting what they want if they were to discuss annexation into the City of Orlando? Adding those 300K ppl to the current 205K Orlando city pop would make us the 2nd most populous city in Florida; after Jax.

I thought this article was funny when I read it. However, if this area would become part of Orlando it would pull Brevard County into the Orlando metro area faster than it is going to happen eventually. Most of Eastern Orange County is largely rural, but then again so is the Lake Nona area that is already part of the city limits. In reality it looks like the citizens are just bluffing in order to get better service from the county.

that's gonna piss Crotty off.

Yeah, lately the Orange County Government has been too busy schmoozing it up with the businesses in "Downtown Orange County" and beefing up services to the I-drive corridor and forgeting about other areas of O.C., I personally don't see this flying but it might get the Counties attention one way or the other. :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just another reason why we need to consolidate the city & county governments.

Why is that? No thanks. Consolidating would be horrendous for those who live in city propers (not just Orlando). It shouldn't be about consolidating county and city governments - it should be about separating their functions to those that are suited to their respective aptness. The idea that cities and counties and virtually the same thing and should just be consolidated is ludicrous to me. County and municpal government are, and should be, different beasts. They inherrenatly require different levels of localization, and thus differnet services and approaches. Unfortunatley, we live in an area where that is hardly clear, as the county acts as both a county and a muncipality.

Orlando ponders housing solutions

Many workers find city unaffordable

Mark Schlueb | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted March 21, 2006

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom...-home-headlines

I'm sorry, but that last quote:

"If we set standards, developers who want to build in Orlando will do what we ask of them," Lynum said.

if the standards make it so that the risk is too high for the developer to turn a profit on a project, they simply will build somewhere else, and not "do what we ask of them". (i think someone needs an Economics 101 refresher course.)

Edited by pip

I'm sorry, but that last quote:

"If we set standards, developers who want to build in Orlando will do what we ask of them," Lynum said.

if the standards make it so that the risk is too high for the developer to turn a profit on a project, they simply will build somewhere else, and not "do what we ask of them". (i think someone needs an Economics 101 refresher course.)

if you simply have a rich downdown, then it'll end up being a paper city of rich spoiled 20 somethings. Developers need to turn a profit and I don't think anyone would tell them that thats wrong. I think the government really needs to step in and do what NY does and offer tax incentives and discounts to developers so they can sell some of these condos to middle income people (lottery system). Either that or a government subsidized housing initiative. Whatever way you do it, having a strong middle class as well as upper class in downtown is the way to go. If its rich, then its exclusive and hense, should not even be considered a downtown for any city since it will not represent the city as a whole.

if you simply have a rich downdown, then it'll end up being a paper city of rich spoiled 20 somethings. Developers need to turn a profit and I don't think anyone would tell them that thats wrong. I think the government really needs to step in and do what NY does and offer tax incentives and discounts to developers so they can sell some of these condos to middle income people (lottery system). Either that or a government subsidized housing initiative. Whatever way you do it, having a strong middle class as well as upper class in downtown is the way to go. If its rich, then its exclusive and hense, should not even be considered a downtown for any city since it will not represent the city as a whole.

If our downtown becomes another country club, that would be the worse possible scenerio.

I agree. I'm definatley for varying neighborhoods, and any downtown needs to have a broad spectrum of classes and people to give it character. But, the city cant just demand developers create this with a "they'll do what we tell them" approach. I think that quote just seemed a bit attitudey to me. Like you said, the city needs to step in and make it a profitable endeavor for developers for this to happen. Hopefully thats the direction their going. Afterall its the city's job to plan for the big picture, since the developer is essentially going to focus on their pieice of the puzzle, and how to make it profitable. Not to say that there arent some developers who do take an interest in the bigger picture, especially since its in their best interests for the city to grow if they're in it for the long term. but you cant always count on that.