Welcome

monsoon

I am in the military and have been keeping up to date on all of the construction projects in Hampton Roads by reviewing posts on Urban Planet. Urban Planet was especially useful while I was deployed to Iraq. I reviewed the site daily and never missed a beat on all of the construction going on in the Hampton Roads area. I have a lot of pics to post but do not know the easiest way to post my pics. Can anyone assist me with posting pics on the site?

Welcome to the forum! I know what you mean about being away and having UrbanPlanet to keep you up to date. I was in Japan for 5 years and found this site a little over a year ago.

As for posting your pictures, the easiest way is to create an account on Photobucket, and upload your pictures through that website. Once they're uploaded, copy the URL and make sure the image tags are around it. I can't wait to see some of your pictures! :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum! I know what you mean about being away and having UrbanPlanet to keep you up to date. I was in Japan for 5 years and found this site a little over a year ago.

As for posting your pictures, the easiest way is to create an account on Photobucket, and upload your pictures through that website. Once they're uploaded, copy the URL and make sure the image tags are around it. I can't wait to see some of your pictures! :)

Thanks for the info. Hopefully you will be seeing some of my pics soon.

Welcome to the forum vaguynny, I too grew up in Va. Beach and am a (Get ready I am really old!) 1979 Graduate of Bayside High School in Va. Beach. Just like you I grew up in Va. Beach but since I was a little boy I have always been in love with the city of my birth Norfolk. I live here in Washington, DC for the last 22 years but I still tell whoever will listen all about the incredible rennaissance (sp?) Norfolk has experienced in the last 30 years. I always have a scene of Norfolk's skyline on my work and home computer background. Now that is devotion to one's hometown.

I know what you are talking about. I am really devoted to Norfolk's downtown also. On all of my computers I have a pic of dtown Norfolk as the wall paper background. I have also took over 100 digital pics of downtown NorVa and other cities in the Hampton Roads area. Actually I like anything urban, especially the DC area.

I know what you are talking about. I am really devoted to Norfolk's downtown also. On all of my computers I have a pic of dtown Norfolk as the wall paper background. I have also took over 100 digital pics of downtown NorVa and other cities in the Hampton Roads area. Actually I like anything urban, especially the DC area.

One of the wonderful things about having a Norfolk picture on my computer is the number of people who ask me where is that? Watch out I mght talk to you for the next hour about Norfolk everything from Nauticus to Granby St. and the Naval Base. My sister who also grew up in Tidewater does not understand at all. She was talking to a friend of mine at a party last summer and jokingly asked him to ask me a question about Norfolk just to see how my eyes light up and how excited I get. Wow I hope to return home soon so I can live amongst the redevelopment that I hoped for so long would happen.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone! Figured it was time to introduce myself after lurking around for a few days and just catching up on the myriad of Norfolk topics (it really is of amazing quality compared to the other city sub-forums I've looked at here). I'm glad to have discovered urbanplanet.org a little over a week ago, and was pleasantly surprised to find that Norfolk has its own sub-forum.

I've lived in Ghent since August 06, moving from Iowa with my fiance. Thank you for all of the great information you've added here! I've been following several developments in Hampton Roads from reading pdf. files and the Norfolk city website in the past several months, and feel that I picked the right time to relocate to this part of the USA. It's very exciting for a person who appreciates the art of urban planning and development, and also since I've never lived in a city of over 70,000 people.

I'm mindful of this city's great history and mourn her architectural losses..but look forward to seeing the future smart growth of my new hometown. I look forward to contributing to this forum whenever I can.

Hello everyone! Figured it was time to introduce myself after lurking around for a few days and just catching up on the myriad of Norfolk topics (it really is of amazing quality compared to the other city sub-forums I've looked at here). I'm glad to have discovered urbanplanet.org a little over a week ago, and was pleasantly surprised to find that Norfolk has its own sub-forum.

I've lived in Ghent since August 06, moving from Iowa with my fiance. Thank you for all of the great information you've added here! I've been following several developments in Hampton Roads from reading pdf. files and the Norfolk city website in the past several months, and feel that I picked the right time to relocate to this part of the USA. It's very exciting for a person who appreciates the art of urban planning and development, and also since I've never lived in a city of over 70,000 people.

I'm mindful of this city's great history and mourn her architectural losses..but look forward to seeing the future smart growth of my new hometown. I look forward to contributing to this forum whenever I can.

Welcome to the forum, glad to have another participant from the Ghent district. There are a lot of projects up and coming for that area so you definately move there at the right time. :)

• 1 year later...

Figured this was a good place to introduce myself before I started posting elsewhere. I was turned onto this site very recently by someone at jury duty, been lurking a few days and I'm well impressed with the volume and detail concerning the local issues (especially those regarding our beloved light rail). Seeing this in action gives me a lot of hope for the voice of the people in local politics.

I'm a local, somewhere over here in Colonial Place, lived here for the first six years of my life and for some strange reason moved with my parents to New Hampshire. Largest mistake my family's ever made in my opinion. After 6 years in the northeast, coming home was truly coming home. This place means a huge amount to me, yet I never would have noticed had I not left the area in the first place. Soon I'll be striking out on my own down here, and this site is an excellent way to keep myself up to date on local politics.

Figured this was a good place to introduce myself before I started posting elsewhere. I was turned onto this site very recently by someone at jury duty, been lurking a few days and I'm well impressed with the volume and detail concerning the local issues (especially those regarding our beloved light rail). Seeing this in action gives me a lot of hope for the voice of the people in local politics.

I'm a local, somewhere over here in Colonial Place, lived here for the first six years of my life and for some strange reason moved with my parents to New Hampshire. Largest mistake my family's ever made in my opinion. After 6 years in the northeast, coming home was truly coming home. This place means a huge amount to me, yet I never would have noticed had I not left the area in the first place. Soon I'll be striking out on my own down here, and this site is an excellent way to keep myself up to date on local politics.

As far as how people have been referred to the site, jury duty is definitely one of the stranger ones i've heard of. :lol: Welcome to the site Nate, glad to have you here. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I thought this would be the perfect place for my first post.

I'm a 20-something originally from the Detroit area, but moved here in the latter part of '06. I was introduced to this site by a co-worker. I'd rather not say who I work for.

My passion is in urban design and redevelopment. One thing I've noticed is how similar Norfolk is to Detroit- on a smaller scale- even down to social issues, except having a scandel-ridden mayor.

I think my ideal place to live right now would be in Ghent near the Hague (I don't need to be on Mowbray Arch), but I'm stuck in the beach. I've already done the North End thing and it isn't me, I'm a downtown boy. There's something about that area with the parks, walker-friendly area, architecture, and history.

I'm still looking for the perfect place to eat, take a date, or go for a good time. If you have any suggestions I'll gladly listen!

Let the fun begin!

Hey everyone! thought I'd finally join after reading posts for so long!

Currently I am a Geography major at ODU with an emphasize on GIS (basically making maps). I was born and raised in Northern Virginia and finally will be moving into a house in July with the some friends after 2 years of dealing with on-campus housing (which was horrible I might add).

I love the city of Norfolk and enjoy keeping up with what's happening in the city!

I look forward to finally contributing to the forum!

• 1 month later...

Gentelmen . . . Welcome to Fight Club. :ph34r:

Take a look at the Norfolk businesses and restaurants thread for ideas on where to eat.

And in this corner, weighing in with laissez-fair capitalism; wearing maroon and orange Hokie color trunks with interests in mass transit, port operations, and urban planning; Norfolk native and resident; a huge Hell's Kitchen late night advocate.....................................ORFeus.

And in this corner, weighing in with laissez-fair capitalism; wearing maroon and orange Hokie color trunks with interests in mass transit, port operations, and urban planning; Norfolk native and resident; a huge Hell's Kitchen late night advocate.....................................ORFeus.

Welcome aboard. GO HOKIES!

Welcome to our many new members this week. I know this is a little late, but i've been exceptionally busy with work and school and this is the first time i've really had a moment to sit down and look through all the threads. Anyway, welcome, and post often :).

• 5 months later...

So I guess I haven't introduced myself even tho I've been posting a lot since I joined. I'm Matt, 23 from Virginina Beach, although I've been living in Norfolk for nearly 3 years now. Currently in Ghent, I will probably live here for some time. Although once Light Rail opens, you can bet I'll try to get as close as possible. I have been raised in the 757 and love it here. I just graduated from ODU and start graduate studies in January (Public Administration and Urban Studies with a concentration in Urban Planning. I came across the forum as a result of continually searchin via google for info on upcoming projects. I come from a family of contractors and builders with a long history in Norfolk, so I am constantly told about the way things used to be, which is interesting.

Archived