Wealthy Neighborhoods of NC Cities

peaceloveunderstanding

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asheville- Biltmore Park/Biltmore Forest

Charlotte- Myers Park, SouthPark area, Ballantyne, Providence, Quail Hollow, Lake Norman & Wylie... among some

Greensboro- Irving Park, Fisher Park, Starmount, Brassfield, Sedgefield

Winston Salem- Forsyth Country Club

Raleigh- Carolina Country Club/Anderson Heights, North Hills, Bayleaf, Durant Rd Area (North Raliegh, as mentioned)

Durham- Treyburn, Hope Valley

Chapel Hill- Country Club

In Asheville, you could add the area from Charlotte Street up the hill to the Grove Park Inn.

In Winston-Salem, the Forsyth Country Club area is part of Buena Vista which is similar to Irving Park or Myers Park. It's a huge, older, loosely defined neighborhood stretching from FCC area to Old Town Country Club/Reynolda Estate area to 5-points/Stratford Rd area. There's also Sherwood Forest, which is a newer equally large and undefined higher end neighborhood. Washington Park, West End and West Highlands are a few of the higher end neighborhoods that developed around the periphery of downtown starting in the Victorian era before Buena Vista was developed.

Asheville- Biltmore Park/Biltmore Forest

Biltmore Forest is actually not part of Asheville. It has been an incorporated town of its own since 1923, although it closely resembles an exclusive subdivision. The difference is, it has town ordinances instead of a HOA agreement. Ha ha.

Biltmore Forest is the wealthiest, incorporated community in North Carolina.

how do these neighborhoods compare to Myers Park? Just for a personal perspective. Are these areas as large as Charlotte's wealthier neighborhoods?

I would add eastover as another wealthy charlotte neighborhood.

Some stats for Charlotte neighborhoods. I probably missed a few. These stats are from 2004.

Eastover

Population: 2,227

Median Household Income: $200,854

Average House Value: $709,479

Myers Park

Population: 10,376

Median Household Income: $114,138

Average House Value: $515,844

Foxcroft (North Southpark)

Population: 4,913

Median Household Income: $105,443

Average House Value: $620,886

Ballantyne

Population: 8,143

Median Household Income: $117,442

Average House Value: $293,543

Providence Plantation

Population: 7,079

Median Household Income: $126,736

Average House Value: $310,600

Montibello

Population: 4,572

Median Household Income: $227,094

Average House Value: $425,192

Charlotte also many new mcmansion subdivisons starting in the $780,000 - $2,600,000. I can think of 10 off the the top of my head.

In terms of suburbs Charlotte's wealthiest are probably Marvin and Weddington.

All the listed neighborhoods are in the South Side. There are also some very nice neighborhoods up by lake norman.

Chapel Hill-The Oaks (CHCC), Historic Downtown District, Meadowmont, Southern Village, Cross Creek, Laurel Hill, Gimghoul, The Woodlands, Lake Hogan Farms, Talbryn, Governors Club, The Preserve at Jordan Lake. Hell, the entire town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't really consider a handful of carrboro's neighborhoods particularly affluent.

I wouldn't really consider a handful of carrboro's neighborhoods particularly affluent.

I didn't point out Carrboro. The Woodlands is the only area near Carrboro and those are $700K-$1 mil.+.

Carrboro is actually affordable-Chapel Hill is not. Trust me I live there. The average home price is around $330K.

Several neighborhoods inside the Raleigh beltline house incredibly substantial wealth: Hayes Barton, Drury Hills, etc. The CC area is wealthy as well, but the old money lives in Hayes Barton.

Emerywood in High Point was designed by the same landscape architect who laid out Hayes Barton, although his name at present escapes me. Sedgefiled in the Greensboro/Jamestown area is also affluent.

There are pockets of downtown Wilmington that house massive wealth, but the neighborhoods out towards Wrightsville - Landfall, Mayfaire-- eclispse those. Wrightsville Beach itself has more than a few year-round residents who have a couple of coins to rub together.

Asheville- Biltmore Park

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Biltmore Park has a "town square." It is home to the Reuter family YMCA, WLOS/WBSC, a BMW plant, and a few smaller businesses. I've never seen a neighborhood like this. To read more about check out their website. Do any of these other wealthy neighborhoods have something like this?

Biltmore Park has a "town square." It is home to the Reuter family YMCA, WLOS/WBSC, a BMW plant, and a few smaller businesses. I've never seen a neighborhood like this. To read more about check out their website. Do any of these other wealthy neighborhoods have something like this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.biltmorepark.com/work_TS.html

Does the town square have a grocery store or planned? Does anyone know.. thanks

edit: this is what they have on there

Plans call for retail shops, a hotel, theater, offices, restaurants, and a health and fitness center. The Town Square will also offer a host of residential options such as apartments, townhomes and lofts.

could retail shops include a grocer?

could retail shops include a grocer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so, because Ingles just built a new grocery store right across from biltmore park (the apartments) on long shoals rd. So no, I don't think they would actually build a grocery store within one or two town square.

I always thought Hayes-Barton was Raleigh's wealthiest neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it used to be, but the concentration of weath has moved outside the beltline and into the north raleigh burbs. ITB is still high cotten, don't get me wrong, but the really big dollars are in some of the newer neighborhoods with North Raleigh zip codes.

Per the 2000 census,

This area in the darkest green:

Census Tract 538.02

41678228.gif

median household income= $123,264

and this area in the darkest green:

Census Tract 535.09

41678995.gif

median household income= $123,162

......are the most affluent areas of Wake County North Carolina.

I don't know what the name of these areas are but I'm sure someone in the greater Raleigh area can name the locations.

I don't know what the name of these areas are but I'm sure someone in the greater Raleigh area can name the locations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bottom picture is a part of Cary and mainly covers Macgregor Downs, Macgregor West, Regency Park, the general around the Swift Creek bluffs (just east of where the map ends)--some outskirts of Lochmere are included in that bunch.

Preston is indeed a high income area, but perhaps it is shadowed by the more elite areas pictured. Preston is also quite large and covers things from expensive apartments to mansions.

Archived