Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

I can't wait to park at the Newtown Station and ride the train to the Monticello Station to grab something to eat on Granby. Then hop the train to Harbor Park to catch a game. Goods times in Norfolk indeed!!!!

Wonder what Fort Norfolk will look like by 2008 with LR thrown into the mix?

Edited by willy

It's good to see these two towers are still safe.

From the article:

And, on Tuesday, the council adopted a new parking policy that limits the number of downtown parking spaces in the core business district, using a ratio of spaces per square feet of office space. It reflects the same parking ratio that will exist once the Trader building and the proposed Hilton hotel/conference center

This is very good news. If it gets built, the additional line to the Norfolk Naval Base and NIT and the extension into Virginia Beach will seem like common sense to a lot of people. Those additions will be needed to make the line fully functional.

I do wish the Feds would stay out of the local land use policy and planning business, though. Their track record is mixed, at best, and their arrogance is legendary. It is not a given that constraining parking will help a relatively small downtown in any way, given that it is trying to be a magnet to shoppers, tourists, party-goers and business. And this modest light rail line will not provide a suitable alternative for most of us when we wish to go downtown. The constrained capacities of our roadways should be enough of an incentive to use transit when it becomes available. Enough of this Big Brother crap. Different communities have different characteristics and needs, and one solution does not work well everywhere.

:thumbsup:

One step closer to making it a reality. If we think that downtown is booming now, what about in the next 3 years when (hopefully) the starter line is complete in 2008? If they haven't already, people will start taking serious notice of this region. And now since the city has adopted a new parking policy, maybe some of the stand alone garages (*cough - the garage on Main St. across from BOA - cough*) can be replaced with pure towers - hows that for a parking shortage?

Edited by Seven Cities

This is very good news. If it gets built, the additional line to the Norfolk Naval Base and NIT and the extension into Virginia Beach will seem like common sense to a lot of people. Those additions will be needed to make the line fully functional.

I do wish the Feds would stay out of the local land use policy and planning business, though. Their track record is mixed, at best, and their arrogance is legendary. It is not a given that constraining parking will help a relatively small downtown in any way, given that it is trying to be a magnet to shoppers, tourists, party-goers and business. And this modest light rail line will not provide a suitable alternative for most of us when we wish to go downtown. The constrained capacities of our roadways should be enough of an incentive to use transit when it becomes available. Enough of this Big Brother crap. Different communities have different characteristics and needs, and one solution does not work well everywhere.

Very well said. The only thing the feds are usually good at are screwing things up. I must admit that i'm kinda surprised we've made it this far considering how much of a longshot it seemed but a few short months ago.

:thumbsup:

One step closer to making it a reality. If we think that downtown is booming now, what about in the next 3 years when (hopefully) the starter line is complete in 2008? If they haven't already, people will start taking serious notice of this region. And now since the city has adopted a new parking policy, maybe some of the stand alone garages (*cough - the garage on Main St. across from BOA - cough*) can be replaced with pure towers - hows that for a parking shortage?

Yes, hearing this news made me :yahoo: . If it's set to be finished in 08 when is it supposed to start contruction? This may be the first transportation project to get a construction progress thread here. :shades:

Ok, cool. I saw it at the end of the article right after I posted this. Don't know how I missed it. :blink:

Hopefully by the time I visit fam for the 2008 Holiday season I'll be able to ride around on Norfolk's light rail. This is a very exciting time for the region. I hope it all continues to fall into place.

Looking into the crystal ball... if the current plan is just a starter rail, what other routes could Norfolk be considering for future additions? I think its generally agreed upon that the line would have to extend up to ODU and NOB on Hampton Blvd (although an express bus service might work well there), but what other accessible areas would benefit Norfolk the most? Probably heavy traffic areas like Military Highway or VA Beach Blvd... anybody else care to dream?

Looking into the crystal ball... if the current plan is just a starter rail, what other routes could Norfolk be considering for future additions? I think its generally agreed upon that the line would have to extend up to ODU and NOB on Hampton Blvd (although an express bus service might work well there), but what other accessible areas would benefit Norfolk the most? Probably heavy traffic areas like Military Highway or VA Beach Blvd... anybody else care to dream?

I hope that it makes it around the entire city. I'm hoping this will help Vabeach Chesapeake and others to catch on to this and incorporate it into the entire region. Newport news is in the early phases. I wish the area went in as a whole and not just each city. I bet it would have had more federal attention if they did. Go Norfolk :yahoo:

YES!!! This is great news... looks like I'll be riding in style to work sometime in 2008 :shades:

I will go downtown for the sole purpose of being able to ride this thing. By the time they're done with the starter line Harbors edge will be completely done (and perhaps a second tower sprouting) and the rest of Fort Norfolks revitalization should just be getting underway. I think this will really help move it along.

I will go downtown for the sole purpose of being able to ride this thing. By the time they're done with the starter line Harbors edge will be completely done (and perhaps a second tower sprouting) and the rest of Fort Norfolks revitalization should just be getting underway. I think this will really help move it along.

I hope that all of this does come true! :alc: I ride it like I'm at a amusement park! :yahoo:

I'll travel down from NJ just to ride the thing! haha. I'm such a transit geek.

In terms of future routes: The high-density areas.

I agree with the Hampton Blvd Corridor, serving Ghent, ODU, NavSta.

Granby Street to serve whatever becomes of East Ghent, Zoo, Riverview, and Wards Corner

It would be awesome to have the airport on a line.

Then of course other cities: Portsmouth, Ches, VB, and the Peninsula. I'd love to see a regional rail network. The only thing is light rail, with its slow operating speeds, may not be the best fit for a regional system. You'd want between-stop top speeds around 80 mph

Speaking of extending the line, it should be extended to ODU then to NOB then to Ward Corner then to the airport, then intersect the Military Highway station. That way, Norfolk would have a complete loop in the city. The Newtown Road end could eventually be extended to Town Center and all the way to the beach. The Military HWY end could then be extended down to the Greenbriar area.

AHHHH....so much potential!!!!!!!!!

Edited by lil-bear

One step forward, one step back. This one really Chaps my A$$!

From the Virginian Pilot;

Read the Story

Norfolk runway's landing delayed

"After nearly five years of work, the Federal Aviation Administration has put the proposal on hold while the airport completes a new master plan, which will provide an updated forecast of air-travel demand.

Edited by Merrittk92

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this in Sunday's print edition of The Pilot. I'm surprised no one has already posted this.

Transit officials release report about rail plan

The most interesting part of the article is about the a planned 12 story office building with ground level retail on the site of the Kirn library. It's at least another 3-4 years off and plans can change, but its something to look forward to.

I saw this in Sunday's print edition of The Pilot. I'm surprised no one has already posted this.

Transit officials release report about rail plan

The most interesting part of the article is about the a planned 12 story office building with ground level retail on the site of the Kirn library. It's at least another 3-4 years off and plans can change, but its something to look forward to.

So thats what that mysterious building was on the HRT LR plans labeled corporate headquarters building. It was in that exact location.