CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Construction has begun on the BOFA renovation project. It is a multi-phase project with demolition of the parking garage set for the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2008. No, that is not a typo either unfortunately.

I'm confused on this one. If construction has begun on the reno, but the parking garage will not be torn down until 2008, then what are they working on? The interior? The exterior has already been painted. Seems to me the parking garage demo would be one of the first steps in this renovation.

I'm confused on this one. If construction has begun on the reno, but the parking garage will not be torn down until 2008, then what are they working on? The interior? The exterior has already been painted. Seems to me the parking garage demo would be one of the first steps in this renovation.

They are redoing the lobby to better orient the entrance towards Plaza Bergamo.

This won't necessarily slow the Main and Washington development. It will most likely include many buildings probably built in phases. The Main Street stretch will most likely be built first for obvious reasons followed by the Richardson Street portion. The garage shouldn't be in the way by that point. Besides with the luck around here for getting things built, it will be a while. The city needs to build the connection between the Richardson Street garage and the Bank of America building anyway.

Thanks for the photo update on this g-man! :thumbsup: Haven't walked by here in a while.

Whats the main holdup on this project? Is the city still trying to figure out what to do with it. I never figured that a small patch of grass for dogs to poop on would hold this project up. Those buildings need to be demolished yesterday.

^^^The main hold-up to the Piazza Bergamo renovation project is money. The City of Greenville currently doesn't have any funds/money available to begin this project and won't for a year or longer most likely.

I hope that this year or longer will give the city the chance to realize that they need to ditch the carousel and grass idea. :whistling:

There was suppose to be a new design presented. What happened to that? I think the Carasoul idea has been dead, DOA actually.

A couple months ago they had a news story on WYFF about Piazza Bergamo and showed the rendering of what it would look like when complete. It was very nice looking and included no carosoul what-so-ever. It definitely reminded me of Italy with several large fountains, grass, stone walkways, etc. :thumbsup:

I realize the Main and Washington project is still in a holding pattern, as is Piazza Bergamo, but couldn't some of the proposed changes from these projects still get underway. Couldn't they go ahead with demolition of the BofA garage once the new bridge to the city garage is complete? Maybe that vacant "Bridge" building could be demoed too. It's vacant anyway and it would allow the sites to be opened up, and show progress is being made at least.

There is a short article on the front page of GSA Business regarding the Woolworth's building...

http://www.gsabusiness.com/

The current owner, John Boyd, hopes to have something to show city council by March. The exciting thing about the article is that both the owner and Knox White acknowledge that a retail anchor there would do wonders for downtown. I really hope my dream of having a Borders there comes true.

Thoughts on the article?

There is a short article on the front page of GSA Business regarding the Woolworth's building...

http://www.gsabusiness.com/

The current owner, John Boyd, hopes to have something to show city council by March. The exciting thing about the article is that both the owner and Knox White acknowledge that a retail anchor there would do wonders for downtown. I really hope my dream of having a Borders there comes true.

Thoughts on the article?

Does the print edition of the article mention GQ Fashions at all? Are the outstanding title/ownership issues related strictly to the Woolworth property?

A couple months ago they had a news story on WYFF about Piazza Bergamo and showed the rendering of what it would look like when complete. It was very nice looking and included no carosoul what-so-ever. It definitely reminded me of Italy with several large fountains, grass, stone walkways, etc. :thumbsup:

I still don't like the idea of the grass, I don't remember grass in any italian piazza I have seen. Grass just makes a porition of the piazza less usable.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Walked up Main St at lunch today and there was a banner in the window of the Woolworths Building saying "Development Financed By ........."

Can't remember the name of the bank, But could this mean something is about to happen on the Woolworths site?

Walked up Main St at lunch today and there was a banner in the window of the Woolworths Building saying "Development Financed By ........."

Can't remember the name of the bank, But could this mean something is about to happen on the Woolworths site?

Maybe so! That would be great to hear some news on that. Didn't we hear something in the spring about a possible release of information sometime this summer?

Maybe so! That would be great to hear some news on that. Didn't we hear something in the spring about a possible release of information sometime this summer?

If I am not mistaken, this sign has been up for quite some time. My fingers are already cramped from being crossed on this one.

Those signs have been in the window for months.

If I am not mistaken, this sign has been up for quite some time. My fingers are already cramped from being crossed on this one.

Yeah, my pessimistic side tells to give up on this redevlopment project. This one seems to be taking as long as the "Gateway Site." The only thing we ever hear about this one is, "four more months", "next summer", "sometime next year", etc... :rolleyes::whistling: