Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

There is a Gay club right in Southend in an old house. In the days when I would frequent the place, there was a restaurant on the ground floor, and bar up on the second floor. Since it served food, it was not a private club so it looked kind of like a trendy new place for the yuppies to go to. Little did they know what the place held in store for them. It was always a great amusement when one of the ultra-trendy, republican, couples in their polo shirts, which were beginning to infest Dilworth in great numbers, walked in for a drink.

Almost always the silly smiles would disappear in a few minutes once they realized they weren't going to see their friends "Buffy" and "Chad" in the place. :lol: They would quickly leave, without touching their unfinished drinks, muttring something about "those people". This always brought great laughter.

While this place is still there, though a private club now, most of the other Gay bars and places of interest, have long since packed up and moved out of this part of town. They were no longer welcome and the prices make it prohibitive for a local place to operate anyway. All of it has been replaced by chain places and has become about as exciting as a shopping mall. So yes, the suburbs are becoming the city.

The new Summit Dilworth that they are building between Scott, K-worth, Pierce and Buchanan looks terrible on the Scott side. It uses some pale concrete blocks. I am quite disappointed.

The density is good for that corridor, but i sure hope whatever projects they build on the ADT site or the remaining blocks (between Pierce and Romany, and between Buchanan and Fillmore) get better designs.

But we're slowly driving them out with all these apartment to condo conversions. What kind of city life would it be if we were all wearing dockers & hanging out at Starbucks?

- end of my slightly off topic rant :)

I agree, character and identity is important. *takes a sip out of his Starbucks drink* .. j/k

The site behind blockbuster is now available online as a rezoning.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-169.htm

this makes me more confident that within the next 5-10 years, the block set between scott and kenilworth from park to romany will be filled with denser projects rather than the single-family there now.

the site plan looks pretty good.

I really wish they could have bought the blockbuster lot and worked them into a ground floor retail spot with a better design.

slightly off topic: I thought you all might get a kick out of this:

The apartment to condo conversion hype is a bit disheartening. All of us yuppies (I can assume most of us are - like I am) want to live with all the unique characterful hipsters that are our modern day court jesters or village idiots. Not belittling them, but in fact I admire those tattooed artsy folk that work at the corner coffee shop & at night play in some edgy rock band. That's partly why we want to live in the city, to feel like we're part of that same crowd.

But we're slowly driving them out with all these apartment to condo conversions. What kind of city life would it be if we were all wearing dockers & hanging out at Starbucks?

- end of my slightly off topic rant :)

The Sterling Dilworth announcement this morning made me think about this thread again. I agree with your comments and I think it's difficult for real estate owners to justify the thinking versus the money on the table for a conversion.

Until some of the condo market in desirable neighborhoods goes away, it will be difficult for a develop/owner to resist a conversion or a new condo project. On the other hand, as new projects come on the market, some of the older and more affordable places will be in greater supply so the creative crowd will have a place to go.

From a macro view, driving the creatives to less desirable neighborhoods often helps turn those neighborhoods around.

The Blvd Co's ParkView which wasn't finished that long ago

39309775-M.jpg

summit dilworth. blech. i sure hope they use nice non-boring paint colors... because so far i'm not impressed with this one.

39310687-M.jpg

39311193-M.jpg

39311692-M-1.jpg

39311950-M.jpg

39312085-M.jpg

39312319-M.jpg

sterling dilworth, which is to become condos

39313552-M.jpg

the lovely epicurean site:

39313890-M.jpg

you can really see why powerlines have figured prominently in the discussion in this thread.

It probably fooled me because good Hardie-Plank has the texture of wood pressed into it.

Sure looks flat like vinyl. Must be the cheap stuff. (shrug)

Hardie-Plank is not cheap. It cost about $5.10 for a 12 ft. plank.

I put Hardie-Plank on my house, but it was smooth plank. It is fire proof, bug proof, water proof, and is guarantee for 50 years. It takes a special saw to cut it.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

• 4 weeks later...

This crane is for a 4 story office building a little further east along Morehead than Royal Ct.

OK. I might have to go and fix my other post then. Thx atlrvr ! This is cool since we will have three tower cranes lining 277 once 615 E Morehead and the RC get started.

A2

• 3 weeks later...