Street smart: A fun guide to Miami streets

Aessotariq

Not a fan of the Miami road system. Besides the trafic (US 1 once I-95 ends...agh!) coral gables is horrible. I had to go to the Miami Childrens Hospital once and it took us an hour to find the place. We were in no rush, but the signs in that part of the city are horrible.

We have an apartment on Key Biscayne, which has its own (named) system.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

After driving around Miami enough times, It would make more sense to me. Maybe someone can answer this question for me, is it true that in NW Miami, everything from NW 7th St to NW 213th is ghetto?

Well, yeah - but only between I-95 and 42nd ave (LeJeune), which is still a pretty immense area. It's best to stick to the major steets and avenues in this area, unless you're fully armed.

Co-signing what the previous posters said. Pretty much all of Northwest Miami is gutter, it's like you're in Baghdad. The sad thing is that much of NW Miami never used to be like this, until white flight & the crack epidemic struck.

Oh, it is gutter, trust me. You're talking to someone from Carol City (who now goes to FSU in Tally, with no intentions of coming back to South Florida). Almost all of northwest Dade is what we urban planners call "inner ring suburbs". Trashy trashy trashy. And the sad part, it reflects the people that live there. I grew up dirt poor, but to me the denizens of NW Dade are classless slobs.

It is always interesting to hear old-timers talk about how white folks used to live in Carol City. I was browsing the archives of the Herald and came across some old articles from the 70s that mention how Carol City was so "progressive" with regard to racial integration. HA! How the mighty have fallen! It was racist then and it's racist now. The only difference is it's the blacks who are racist now.

I'll step off my soapbox now :)

Northwest Miami-Dade is typically everything north/northwest of downtown Miami via I-95. Example streets are NW 54th St, NW 62nd/MLK Blvd, NW 42nd Ave, Opa-Locka, Carol City, Liberty City, Allapattah, etc. NW 27th Ave is one of the main thoroughfares in NW Dade, it runs from Allapattah through Liberty City on up to Opa-Locka.

• 3 years later...

Archived