Oxford, Mississippi

tombarnes

It appears as though the idea of a luxury hotel near the Square in Oxford is taking shape...

From the Daily Mississippian....

http://www.thedmonline.com/vnews/display.v...48?in_archive=1

More plans....this will also include a shopping mall of sorts. I hope the design is well done. I'd hate to see Oxford ruined....

http://www.thedmonline.com/vnews/display.v...5a?in_archive=1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a good proposal for the city, although they seem as concerned about increasing downtown parking as getting a hotel that would produce new tax revenue and perhaps increased activity downtown.

The retail plans don't sound that bad for the city either, but I agree that the design needs to be a good one.

Edit: syntax error ;)

That scared me when I saw 5,600 acres under development...it sounded like something Vegas would do, but then I did the math. That extra zero makes quite a difference.

The boutiqe hotel sounds like a great idea. I'm with you guys, I hope they do the shopping right. Oxford's a great little town, things could get out of synch with its storied past pretty fast unless they really pay attention to the details. I was a bit distressed when I read the only restaurant mentioned so far was a Wendy's. I haven't been down in several years. Might have to come see for myself. I really like Oxford a lot.

tennessee?

As Rural King said, Oxford's in Mississippi, where Ole Miss is. It's about an hour southeast of Memphis. Mississippi stuff gets posted here because a lot of northern Mississippi is tied to Memphis, and there is no Mississippi forum.

As Rural King said, Oxford's in Mississippi, where Ole Miss is. It's about an hour southeast of Memphis. Mississippi stuff gets posted here because a lot of northern Mississippi is tied to Memphis, and there is no Mississippi forum.

oh i know, i've had some fun times down there at ole miss. well from what i think i can remember. haha. i was just wondering why it was posted in this forum, but i guess it's the closest thing to a mississippi forum like you said.

oh i know, i've had some fun times down there at ole miss. well from what i think i can remember. haha. i was just wondering why it was posted in this forum, but i guess it's the closest thing to a mississippi forum like you said.

I told sleepy and others that I was okay with Northern MS news being posted in this forum since there is currently no Mississippi forum. Most news out of N. MS has an impact on or is in relation to areas in greater Memphis, thus is usually pretty relevant or of interest to some of the folks in our forum.

That's a brilliant idea, to have a boutique hotel in an historic downtown. Currently, we've got the residential buildings (27 luxury townhomes in downtown Franklin), so maybe a nice little hotel is next. That would definately boost our tourism.

Anyway, getting off topic. Great idea. Good luck on this.

I told sleepy and others that I was okay with Northern MS news being posted in this forum since there is currently no Mississippi forum. Most news out of N. MS has an impact on or is in relation to areas in greater Memphis, thus is usually pretty relevant or of interest to some of the folks in our forum.

yeah, that does make a lot of sense. all of my friends at ole miss end up going to memphis at least once a week.

• 1 month later...

I know this is the Tennessee forum, but just a question to Rural King. Is there anyway to change it to the Tennessee/Mississippi Forum for people who are not familiar to the Forum from Miss. to have a place to call home. Mississippi, especially N.Miss is closely connected with TN. Just wanted to throw this out to get opinions, which I am sure are out there. :blink:

Maybe a SUB FORUM?

I'm against having a MS subforum in TN, as I just don't think it fits properly. I think most folks like our forum as it is, ie dedicated soley to TN.

Now if folks are interested in a MS forum, they should as Metro.m about it. I would be willing to moderate it if he will create it. I don't know how busy it will be with so few active people covering the state. I base that off the KY forum, which is getting a slow start and we have several KY forumers already. If there is interest from individuals though, monsoon who you all need to talk to.

As for other sub-forum options, I think it would be better placed inside Louisiana, as thats were most non-northern MS threads go now and seem to fit in pretty well. That would have to be accepted by the Louisiana forumers if that were to be proposed as an option by administration.

There is a thread on this issue in the Southern Forum main page section. Follow this link:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18455

I think that much of MS fits in best with TN because of the Memphis connection for the top half of the state. Nothing against other parts of the state, but frankly, being from Memphis, I'm much more interested in North MS develpoments than Middle and certainly East TN develpments. I don't know if a subforum is necessary, but I don't think the forum should be dedicated "solely to Tennessee" since what's going on in MS has quite an impact on parts of TN.

If folks want a Mississippi Forum than there should be one dedicated solely to Mississippi IMO, that would involve PMing monsoon. If people ask him for one he will probably create one. Its the only state in the South without a forum now, so its not a stretch for me to see one being created if folks ask for one and participate in it.

My own preference is indeed for a forum exclusively for Mississippi. I regret that I can't recruit any members there to make it immediately busy. Still, I believe that the enormous development forces brewing in the state will produce more than enough fodder for a successful forum.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Inn at Ole Miss

The Triplett Alumni House is being expanded into the Inn at Ole Miss. A new eight story tower is being added to the existing hotel. The new tower will have only suites and a new lobby, ballroom and meeting rooms. More on the project in the Ole Miss Alumni Association newsletter.

• 3 weeks later...

Luxury Hotel on Top of Parking Garage?

This is an interesting idea. I would love to see the proposal bafore I could comment on the design. FOr the moment I will hold out a tentative "interesting" before saying more....

Oxford Eagle

This could be wonderful or awful....Which will it be?

• 1 month later...

Archived