New Super Wal-Mart/Sam's Club at X-Rite Site

GRDadof3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

X-Rite site sold to Target

Let the big-box super-target bashing begin. :D

I saw this one coming. One of my neighbors works for a company who has property interest in the vicinity of the mall and told us even before the Wal-Mart story broke that Target was interested. Aside from the fact that its a big box retailer, it will at least fit in to rest of the sprawl out there. Its a shame though, I always thought that X-Rite building was pretty neat.

The big question for me locally now is whether or not Target will continue to operate its store located in Jenison on Chicago Drive. Man if they pulled out that would make for quite an eye sore. That side of the tracks already looks bad enough in the plaza were the K-Mart use to be which is now home to Big Lots/Dollar General/ABC Warehouse :sick: I suppose there is a chance it could stay open. Meijer did after they built the one out there...it even got a remodel.

The big question for me locally now is whether or not Target will continue to operate its store located in Jenison on Chicago Drive. Man if they pulled out that would make for quite an eye sore. That side of the tracks already looks bad enough in the plaza were the K-Mart use to be which is now home to Big Lots/Dollar General/ABC Warehouse :sick: I suppose there is a chance it could stay open. Meijer did after they built the one out there...it even got a remodel.

There is also a Meijer and a Target at the intersection of Clyde Park and 54th Street, not too far from Rivertown mall. The Meijer stayed open after the new one was built at Rivertown. The older store didn't get a remodel but they repaved the parking lot.

There is also a Meijer and a Target at the intersection of Clyde Park and 54th Street, not too far from Rivertown mall. The Meijer stayed open after the new one was built at Rivertown. The older store didn't get a remodel but they repaved the parking lot.

The interior of the Clyde Park and 54 st. Meijer was retrofited with the new store layout and graphics program while the exterior remains the same.

I saw this one coming. One of my neighbors works for a company who has property interest in the vicinity of the mall and told us even before the Wal-Mart story broke that Target was interested. Aside from the fact that its a big box retailer, it will at least fit in to rest of the sprawl out there. Its a shame though, I always thought that X-Rite building was pretty neat.

The neat thing about Target is they have a history of keeping the buildings they rehabitate intact. Like the 54th St. Target using the old Meijer Source Club building. (Granted it was already a retail development)

I don't have measurements on the Xrite complex but my guess is its big enough to house a Target.

I sure hope Target can utilize much of the current landscaping and the current building. I would hate to see a typical Target store there. My summer job is just down the road for there, and I drive through that corner at least twice a day, often stopping at that light. The big shade trees and the pond on the X-Rite corner are far more appeasing than the Wal-Green and Sprawl across the street.

I was worried when I heard about Wal-Mart, now I just feel :sick:

I sure hope Target can utilize much of the current landscaping and the current building. I would hate to see a typical Target store there. My summer job is just down the road for there, and I drive through that corner at least twice a day, often stopping at that light. The big shade trees and the pond on the X-Rite corner are far more appeasing than the Wal-Green and Sprawl across the street.

I was worried when I heard about Wal-Mart, now I just feel :sick:

Sorry, I think you are going to see demo of the building and total site re-development. Large trees in parking lots mean maintenance, clogged storm drains and decreaded visibilty. Something that retail stores do not like. Remember that there was a huge Herman Miller building at the corner of Canal and Rivertown and they bulldozed that to build the Lowes.

Sorry, I think you are going to see demo of the building and total site re-development. Large trees in parking lots mean maintenance, clogged storm drains and decreaded visibilty. Something that retail stores do not like. Remember that there was a huge Herman Miller building at the corner of Canal and Rivertown and they bulldozed that to build the Lowes.

Good point...I had totally forgotten that building was even there. I remember being in it not too long before it all was torn down. We had a World Party 2000 rehearsal there. Yes, I was in World Party 2000 at the VA...for a grand total of about a minute. I rang in the new millenium in a little room with a TV backstage.

The reason I'm worried about the Target in Jenison is the fact that I have heard that its 'underperforming.' I know this forum is GR and urban oriented but if Target goes out and that building sits vacant, that is not going to bode well for my community. Its sort of a perplexing riddle, Georgetown Township is one of the fastest growing fringe communities in the area and yet almost all of the substantial development is occurring elsewhere. Sprawl does many a strange thing I suppose.

I too forgot completely about that building! Incredible how things like that disappear from your mind when your eyes are filled with Famous Daves and Lowes. That old building brings a tear to my eye, remembering what used to be.

I'd rather have a target there than a Wal-Fart.

I'm with you on that...the lesser of the two evils if you ask me (although I admit I do go to Targer over Meijers every once in a while...sinner...)

I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club stores...if for no other reason (although there are many) than to support the home-grown Meijers. I am hoping that others feel and act the same way that I do as well.

On a side note - the Fortune's richest people in America came out today. Devos hit the list at something like $3.5 billion, and one other Michigander, Bill Davidson (Pistons, Palace Entertainment, Davidson Industries - one of largest glass makers in the world) was up there in the $4B range, and should Sam Walton still be around, he'd be worth close to $80Billion (instead it's divyed up amongst his kids - all in the top 15 richest people).

Not to get too of topic, but wal-mart was a different beast with sam walker, he prided himself in carrying products made in the USA. obviously, that is not the case now.

I must say, I think chances are minimal Target uses this building, it would look fantastic and with some creative adaptions, that could make into the metro's flagship store. It easily has the location to be such.

Not to get too of topic, but wal-mart was a different beast with sam walker, he prided himself in carrying products made in the USA. obviously, that is not the case now.

I've heard before that Wal-Mart accounts for something like 15% - 20% of all goods imported from China into the USA. While at first I was like "yeah right", I honestly think this might be a true figure...

Does Meijer and Target import most of their goods as well? I am assuming that neither has a "focus" on selling American made products, but wouldn't that be a nice thing to see (and a great marketing tool).

I must say, I think chances are minimal Target uses this building, it would look fantastic and with some creative adaptions, that could make into the metro's flagship store. It easily has the location to be such.

It was Sam Walton. :thumbsup: And there is no way they would use the current X-Rite buildings. The only reason why Target re-used the old Meijer Price club(?) on 54th/Clyde Park is because it was already set up as a big box retail store.

You can expect both X-Rite buildings to be levelled, the Target set WAY back off of 44th with possibly some other small retail, a sea of parking out front, and a new drive that will come out on Ivanrest at the traffic light/mall drive. They won't even keep any of the mature trees on the site or the ponds with the fountains. There is no other incentive for them to do it any other way, and most customers don't complain (except when they can't find a spot 20' from the door).

249936372_a417c80554.jpg

Archived