NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

If you pay attention, you'll notice that homes along Matheson between Tryon and Plaza seem to be getting spruced up. Cleaner yards, new sidings. The area is slowly improving.

But I think a limiting factor is that so much of the housing is 2 BR 1 BA. These were starter homes of a different era. Today people think of a "starter" as something bigger than this.

I don't think that is considered part of Noda.

Businesses over there do sometimes advertise they are in NoDa. I know The Charleston House restaurant advertises in the NoDa section of Creative Loafing and they're right on The Plaza too. I think it's close enough to be ok since it seems to border on the NoDa and Plaza/Shamrock neighborhoods.

But I think a limiting factor is that so much of the housing is 2 BR 1 BA. These were starter homes of a different era. Today people think of a "starter" as something bigger than this.

Many of the homes in the area were mill homes. North Charlotte (as NoDa was once known) was once a textile community with several large cotton mills surrounded by company housing and stores. Today those mill buildings are being converted or were converted to living space, and the houses are as you see them today. The company stores were were clustered around 36th and Davidson.

The mill homes were originally owned by the mills and rented out to the employees of the mill. The area was called N. Charlotte because it was a separate town, from Charlotte (though it never incorporated as far as I know).

I believe Matheson changes names to 30th St. when it crosses the Plaza going west and you can drive it all the way across Tryon, Graham, to Statesville ave. Considering the fact the road starts at Country Club, you will see quite a diversity of homes and neighborhoods on this journey.

A couple of years ago, I took a photo of downtown from the 30th street bridge. You can get some really good views from there.

charlotte.jpg

I think it changes names once you cross the train tracks cuz I know it's still called Matheson up at N. Davidson. Awesome pic!

Some more good news for the Plaza Midwood/NoDa area (and some of you folks here may already know -and- if you know more than me let me know please!) is that Chef Geoff Bragg is supposed to be opening up a new vegetarian restaurant in the 'hood. He was the chef at Peaceful Dragon which just shut down the restaurant portion recently (I'm still in mourning over it.) Last I heard he was still looking for a space in the area and I am dying to find out where it will be. Every empty space I think to myself "perhaps it will be there?!?" I heard the name of it is supposed to be "Meet" which is quite cute and clever for a veggie place. God, I hope he keeps the dumplings.

that view from the north is going to be killa if epicentre, vue, avenue and trademark all get built!!!

i didn't want to swipe your photo, m.m ;)... so i used one of my lesser photos to illustrate the NoDa skyline view circa 2008.

i think that could really improve the value of skyline-view property on the direct north and south of downtown, as properties will have an impressive skyline view, where right now it just looks like a few buildings.

post-670-1129081196_thumb.jpg

That would be nice if the Vue was that tall, but I don't think it will be quite that height. Maybe trim it down to where you kind of have it slanted in and that might be a fairer representation.

:) it wasn't supposed to be exactly precise.... but i chopped off a little from epicentre and vue to be a better representation.

Is Courtside off the picture, or should it be on the edge?

courtside is a little outside the frame, but would be so close to the horizon, i didn't expand the canvas like i did for citadin.

Yeah, m, i think we're all going to need to update our skyline pics in two years.

:). k. here it is. it is a better angle for seeing the new projects.

Not bad D. I finally got a chance to see what you were talking about last night with you pic. I would say that this reflects everything that is going to be built and minus the speculative projects that easily could be. This picture will probably only get better as time marches on.

A2