NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Tear it down, put 250 apartments on the lot with no retail.  20% brick and hardie siding.  That $250K tax value just became $20M.  This is Charlotte people.

I'd have to be about 1400 feet tall to put 250 apartments in it at that lot size... So go for it

The bridge problem has been mentioned in neighborhood meetings surrounding this project. It's likely Cullman avenue will be extended by the project through to Matheson, but the topography/rail in the area makes a road bridge unfeasible (and is why Matheson is such a beast). A pedestrian bridge has been floated in conjunction with the greenway project, but the problem is still somewhat the same; to get over the rail lines you're stuck doing something that closely parallels (maybe even under) Matheson bridge

Maybe I missed something or I'm not understanding what you wrote, but is a Cullman extension funded? Extending Cullman is next to impossible due to 1) the RR that connects the switching yard to the O-line on Graham St, and 2) the massive flood plane cause by said railroad (and other downstream bridges over LSC). These two things don't make it impossible, but the environmental hoops to jump through become much more complicated... and then you'd have to deal with the railroad.

So after looking at the plan...

http://www.designcraftpa.com/home/designcraft-portfolio.php?project_id=70

I have some thoughts. 

• Love the idea of a central park area surrounding the greenway. This area would benefit greatly. 

• The mix of uses are perfect for the area, just to think NoDa could have two hotels in the next 2 or 3 years.

• The only problem that I see is this plan does nothing to address the connectivity of Noda. There should be at least two bridges over the light rail connecting back into Noda. This is worse than the area between New Bern and Tremont.  

Again, unless I'm missing something, this doesn't appear to be an actual plan. It looks like a great concept/idea though.

You're not missing anything.  Pie in the sky.  They are taking everything that is happening across 36th with the Herrin Coal and Ice property / Philemon Ave development that Crescent is ramping up and extending a vision on down the rail line.  At least I have heard through the grapevine that Crescent is sniffing at Herrin to connect the Philemon Ave development into 36th.  That's another discussion I guess.

The only way the large property at the end of Cullman on the other side of the rail spur can be developed at this point is to come in from Tryon with an extension of 31st (the ROW is still there) and bridge over Sugar Creek.  Given that provides no real connection to NoDa proper, that is not really a viable plan at this point.  It will happen eventually, but bringing Cullman across the tracks has to happen with it to "tie it in" to NoDa or else it's marooned and no developer wants to be a part of that.  NoDa Brewing Co is a great thing but it's not enough for a developer to feel comfortable with their only entry being off North Tryon.

Maybe I missed something or I'm not understanding what you wrote, but is a Cullman extension funded? Extending Cullman is next to impossible due to 1) the RR that connects the switching yard to the O-line on Graham St, and 2) the massive flood plane cause by said railroad (and other downstream bridges over LSC). These two things don't make it impossible, but the environmental hoops to jump through become much more complicated... and then you'd have to deal with the railroad.

Again, unless I'm missing something, this doesn't appear to be an actual plan. It looks like a great concept/idea though.

I mean yea, what is link is a concept. However, the land is owned, and recently won a TOD-M rezoning, so its not so "pie in the sky." The land is owned by a company with intentions for it, and this is the plan that they want to put in place. 

I don't disagree that extending Cullman to Matheson is a challenge, but that is currently what the developer's rezoning shows, and based on their NoDa discussions is what they want to do. 

They're showing it as a ped-bike connection over the rail (based on the note), which is much less complicated to build. Since they also show a street connection (based on the symbology of that map) they are most likely setting it up so as 'not to preclude' a future street connection. That being said, more power to them if they actually build it. I am 100% in favor of new street connections.

I mean yea, what is link is a concept. However, the land is owned, and recently won a TOD-M rezoning, so its not so "pie in the sky." The land is owned by a company with intentions for it, and this is the plan that they want to put in place. 

I don't say pie in the sky as a negative thing.  That's what eventually shapes our built environment for the better.  I just mean to say that at this point it's not happening.  From what I understand the company that owns it is trying to sell it - it was just an upzone.  The developers I know that have looked at aren't interested without Cullman tying in; road, not pedestrian path.  Maybe someone will come along eventually and take the risk without it which would be great.  That would add more pressure to somehow extend Culllman as well as improvement to the current Cullman Ave use.  The city and neighborhood have visions of the creek side of the street becoming a bona fide park, though now it is just being managed under the envelope of county Stormwater.

Well this sounds awesome for 3106 N Davidson

"new local restaurant within existing building with new outdoor patio. A sculpture garden with exterior seating will be provided within the outdoor patio. New front canopy and ramp on front elevation"

Taking bets: will this or the Caribbean joint (next door) open first?

Don't know that this has been posted as yet...  Crescent's NODA Station.

2015-08 NoDa News.pdf

Great find! That's a good looking project.

Liking the details:

• Interior art and exterior sculptures will be made by local artists.

• Open spaces will be designed with mix of landscape and hardscape for visual and functional appeal for communal uses such as hosting food trucks, farmer’s markets, vendors, and small concerts.

• Exterior design elements will balance NoDa’s historic and eclectic look by using reclaimed wood, tumbled brick, corrugated metal, and glass.

• Apartment designs will range from traditional designs, open and flexible floor plans, and live/work artist lofts with external access and display areas visible to the street.

• Amenities like an indoor/outdoor transit lounge, beer garden with graffiti wall, courtyard with fire pit and a raised stage area, saltwater pool, dog park, and a rooftop terrace with dramatic views of the Charlotte skyline are also planned.

• Pedestrians and bikers will have access to a bridging platform from the city’s planned light rail stop, sidewalks, the extension of 36th Street, up to 6,000 square feet of street level retail within the community, and an adjacent future commercial development that will offer up to an additional 15,000 square feet of street level retail.

Construction is expected to begin by the end of this year with first units scheduled for early 2017, which is in line with the opening of the Blue Line Extension.

Edited by rjp212

Don't know that this has been posted as yet...  Crescent's NODA Station.

2015-08 NoDa News.pdf

Pretty good aesthetics that are as NoDa as I could realistically ask for while still being modern. I'm a bit disappointed in the amount of retail and the layout though. There should be more retail wrapping the apartments at the new cross street, and what faces 36th? No retail indicator there...I would hate if its all interior-facing. I'm being extra critical since this is replacing one of my favorite places in town, but this isn't nearly as "different" from the Charlotte apartment status quo as I'd hoped it would be. 

Was this the NoDa Crescent project that was originally planed to have a grocery store or is that another project?

Same project. They are still courting grocery stores. There is a smaller outparcel that fronts 36th Street that will include a 15k sq foot space for grocery. Basically based on size constraints we will either see a small scale Fresh Market or a Trader Joes. 

2015-08-NoDa-News-2.jpg

Edited by Guest

I think that terminating 35th street into an apartment building is a mistake.  I would've preferred to see this plan flipped to preserve the street grid.  

It currently terminates into Chop Shop and Ultimate Gym with no access to Yards at Noda. Now there will be a street that connects to both 36th and Yards at Noda, its a huge win for connectivity. 

i guess what im saying is that if they extended 35th it couldve transformed 35th from a back alley, into a primary retail steet.  As it is now, it will remain a back alley.  NoDa will continue to have to double down on North Davidson and 36th, and will have missed an opportunity to expand the core.

• Like 1

i guess what im saying is that if they extended 35th it couldve transformed 35th from a back alley, into a primary retail steet.  As it is now, it will remain a back alley.  NoDa will continue to have to double down on North Davidson and 36th, and will have missed an opportunity to expand the core.

Exactly. The other problem, IMO is that Noda Yards didn't extend the grid. The time to set up a new "Caldwell Street" was in the planning stages for that project. Since they're gated off we lose the benefits of connectivity.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I am very disappointed in this plan. I thought we'd be getting a true extension of the commercial core of NoDa making it more than a single node, but instead it feels like an above-average apartment with some token interior-facing retail with a birkdale-ish style street presence. Almost anywhere else I would be incredibly pleased with this plan but its underwhelming here. I don't even really want a small grocer there, I'd want a full size grocer perhaps a few blocks farther out. 

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I am very disappointed in this plan. I thought we'd be getting a true extension of the commercial core of NoDa making it more than a single node, but instead it feels like an above-average apartment with some token interior-facing retail with a birkdale-ish style street presence. Almost anywhere else I would be incredibly pleased with this plan but its underwhelming here. I don't even really want a small grocer there, I'd want a full size grocer perhaps a few blocks farther out. 

They are courting Trader Joes, and a Small Hotel Flag to go above it (something the media and Noda News are neglecting to mention). These are two things the neighborhood DESPERATELY need. I really think that Hotel would be sold our constantly. Also I do see the need for the Grid to be fixed there. They aren't going to add an at grade crossing one block from the light rail station. 

Edited by Guest

If I were to guess I think the full-sized NoDa grocery will be built at either Asian Corners or a redevelopment of the Giant Penny / Pet Dairy site. Shannon Park and Shamrock are well on their way to fullblown gentrification.