NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Holy CRAP this news makes my heart melt. I've explored the grounds of that factory on foot so many times. It has several modern (see: boring) additions onto it, with the original brick being a nice painted white. This is the PERFECT location, too! It will help bridge the gap between the two sides of the track from N Tryon to Parkwood. And maybe they'll create a few more ped-bike connections!

Of course, it will be a bittersweet moment to say goodbye to The famous smokestack-with-a-tree-growing-out-of-it

Love that smokestack![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Any idea what the zoning request is at Brevard and 25th?  Is 25th the street they're going to extend to Davidson?

This one? http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/001-016/2016-005%20site%20plan.pdf

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/001-016/2016-005%20rezoning%20map.pdf

NoDa Lofts - 280 unit multi-family.

I don't see it on the UP Development map, so I could be completely wrong.  Apologies if so.  (Although the street extension to Davidson is on the UP map.)

1 hour ago, Crown said:

Is that retail down the whole frontage of 36th? Sure looked like it .... 

They're residences that were built to eventually be capable of being retail. "Market flexible."

It was a cut-throat neighborhood input process pushing for retail, but the developer just wasn't able to get the financing if they decided to do retail, so they gave them a convertible design (which, arguably, every new project should do, whether it's mixed-use now or not). That's one reason I feel this is one of the most well done examples of urban design we've seen recently.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

Where did that info come from? While they were designed to have the look of a storefront, there's no other true designs that would make it capable of being retail. There's a 9' clearance from floor to ceiling joist and the average FFE is 1.5-2' above the sidewalk, so it's not ADA compliant. Those would be two simple design elements that would have been worked in if it were really designed to be retail. 

21 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Where did that info come from?

Hm, I was going to say my friends who attended the neighborhood meetings with the developer, and the subsequent NoDa News publications, but I just dug through all the old NoDa News articles and I can't find what I thought I read. I'd heard anecdotally about the developer not being able to get financing for mixed-use, but I guess that could be wrong. I don't want to speak of what I'm not sure. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

I'd be curious to know if they actually did pull a bait and switch with regards to the promise of "convertible retail" space. As much as Woodfield has developed, I don't know of a single project that actually includes any retail. The financing excuse is such BS. If the 36th street units were retail, it would be 8,500 square feet of retail out of 259k total square feet. That 3% of total space being retail really makes the project not pencil?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Prodev said:

I'd be curious to know if they actually did pull a bait and switch with regards to the promise of "convertible retail" space. 

2 hours ago, southslider said:

Sadly, lenders are risk averse to mixed use, but not copying the same style apartments over and over.

The other truth is that it's going to be important in the decades ahead to have market-flexible development. That means that even if you create either retail, residential, OR office at the ground floor of your building, it will be important that some of them have a design that allows them to be easily converted in the future.

There have been studies suggesting that these developments have a longer competitive life-span than its single-use counterparts. And in older European cities it's simply a way of life: when the market isn't calling for retail, convert it to residences, and vice versa. The far extreme of this "doomed to a single-use" problem is the big box stores and fast food restaurants that have no other purpose when that business goes under. So this 

36 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

The other truth is that it's going to be important in the decades ahead to have market-flexible development. That means that even if you create either retail, residential, OR office at the ground floor of your building, it will be important that some of them have a design that allows them to be easily converted in the future.

There have been studies suggesting that these developments have a longer competitive life-span than its single-use counterparts. And in older European cities it's simply a way of life: when the market isn't calling for retail, convert it to residences, and vice versa. The far extreme of this "doomed to a single-use" problem is the big box stores and fast food restaurants that have no other purpose when that business goes under. So this 

eg: the Eastland Mall area

Looks like this wonderful little building will finally be getting a tenant. 

HABERDISH
"Haberdish is a new neighborhood hashery serving delightful southern-inspired food and drink in the former-textile mill town of NoDa - outside CLT."

I think the name would be better as Haberdishery... personally...

68a7800a16e148a58a9e457c7dcd19a4.jpg

19 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Please tell me that this isn't another "small plate" place.  NoDa needs actual restaurants.

Hashery route word hash. Makes me think it'll be a meat and potatoes southern style type of place. Maybe breakfast focused. Still trying to get a Lead on the owners contact info, so hopefully I'll have more info to share soon.

What is the other long neglected building next to this one going to be? It has had paper in the windows and a permit sign up for a while now. I thought I heard someone say it would be Three Amigos, but I have a hard time imagining them opening another location so close to the current one (unless they're moving?).

14 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Hashery route word hash. Makes me think it'll be a meat and potatoes southern style type of place. Maybe breakfast focused. Still trying to get a Lead on the owners contact info, so hopefully I'll have more info to share soon.

It looks like this is another restaurant from Jeff Tonidandel, the owner of Crepe Cellar and Growlers.   

Edited by Prodev

36 minutes ago, Niner National said:

What is the other long neglected building next to this one going to be? It has had paper in the windows and a permit sign up for a while now. I thought I heard someone say it would be Three Amigos, but I have a hard time imagining them opening another location so close to the current one (unless they're moving?).

Permits are for Mango's Caribbean Restaurant. A quick google search shows that there are different concepts with this name in Atlanta and Huntsville, AL, but not sure if it's tied to either of those. 

I'm curious what's happening with The Goodyear House Restaurant. They made the announcment and have had the social media and website going for about a year plus now. Website says spring 2016 opening.