Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Here are some more renderings of developments going on at USC.

The begining stages of the Research Campus. This Rendering of course will not be the entire campus only the beginning of a series of buildings to come. I also believe this building will be called the Verizon Center?

1ResearchCampus.jpg

High-tech

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like that first rendering. I notice that it is an empty field in the foreground instead of the coliseum;) Why the hell would it be called Verizon Center. I will be angry if USC has a verizon logo all over that building.

The School of Health is coming along nicely. the framework is almsot done.

Why the hell would it be called Verizon Center.

Not sure my guess would be it's probablly one of the private investors with the project? They've been all hush hush about who some of the private investors are on the project.

I see big things are on the horizon here!

Edited by The_sandlapper

I like that first rendering. I notice that it is an empty field in the foreground instead of the coliseum;) Why the hell would it be called Verizon Center. I will be angry if USC has a verizon logo all over that building.

The School of Health is coming along nicely. the framework is almsot done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like Sandlapper said, I'm sure they are a private investor in the project. State money is so scarce that we have to rely on private investment. I can't wait for that building to go up.

What is going on off of Two Notch in the vicinity of Providence?

Also, it looks like they are redoing some the public housing off of the northern end of Harden. Maybe not- but there was some construction going on there and they were building some houses and one larger building.

Here is some news on developments on N. Main St.

N. Main revitalization effort pushed forward with hair salon opening

A street in Columbia that's in the middle stages of a revitalization effort got a boost Sunday when a new business opened, and city officials hope more shops will follow.

Loretta Thomas has been in the hair salon business for 25 years. In all that time, she never owned her own shop, but all that changed Sunday when Thomas opened her own hair boutique on North Main Street in Columbia.

She wanted to stay in the neighborhood because she wants to be a positive influence in an area she says is in need of serious help, "I was interested in staying in the area for economical reasons, helping to build the area up on Main Street and attracting new employees."

The city has been working for a decade to attract business owners like Loretta Thomas on the North Main Street corridor. Mayor Bob Coble says, "The dream is the same, to revitalize and give people like Loretta the opportunity to achieve the American dream."

N.Main

What is going on off of Two Notch in the vicinity of Providence?

Also, it looks like they are redoing some the public housing off of the northern end of Harden. Maybe not- but there was some construction going on there and they were building some houses and one larger building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is Drew Park and a new Community Center that is being built. It is replacing some older public housing.

1528040_BG1.jpg

Edited by waccamatt

Yeah, Actually I was looking at the angle of the out of state capital being vested in the area as a positive, but your'e right that is excessive.

On another note the Canalside proposals are here!

What do ya'll think they should go with?

I think going with a higher retail emphasis would be beneficial, wvwn though there are shops in the Vista already it would be good to have that. I'd like to see a bookstore, and a few mor cafe's there too.

Developers pitch plans for CanalSide

Columbia has choice of four proposals for use of former CCI site

By JOHN C. DRAKE

Staff Writer

Proposals for developing 18 acres of city-owned land facing the Columbia Canal range from a residential community with $400,000 canal-front homes to a self-contained urban village complete with a hotel, restaurants, office space and stores.

Four development teams pitched their proposals for CanalSide

Edited by The_sandlapper

This is a different attempt at things for Mungo

I too want to see some commercial space. Ideally retail, but if nothing else some office buildings fronting Huger. If they (whoever wins the bid) make it essentially a closed off subdivision type thing I will be displeased.

I think that they should look at Greenville's RiverPlace, and use that as a template. Obviously CanalSide is a much larger site that RP, but the principle is still there. They could just extend the city grid and have bulidings near the streets with greenspace inside and of course along the canal.

RiverPlace:

aerial-perspective.jpg

This is a different attempt at things for Mungo

I too want to see some commercial space. Ideally retail, but if nothing else some office buildings fronting Huger. If they (whoever wins the bid) make it essentially a closed off subdivision type thing I will be displeased.

[

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does the property have frontage on Huger? The old CCI prison could be seen from Huger, but The Bell South buildings lie between this site and Huger, or so I thought.

I am leery of Mungo, he has a bad reputation from their work in Friarsgate. The Congaree Park Partnership proposal sounds underwhelming as well.

The Beach Company or Canalside proposals sound best, but I doubt a TIF can be created there since one is already in place.

The fact that four proposals have come forward shows the impact of getting the Publix in the Vista. A grocery store is a valuable amenity that draws a lot of investment in it's wake.

A neighborhood in Jacksonville called Riverside got a Publix about two years ago, and the area has really expanded and appreciated in value.

After 11 long dormant years, this site might finally get it's long overdue new life. I still have my fingers crossed though.

I definitely want to see a mixed-use development with townhomes, apartments, retail, a hotel and some offices. I do not want to see a gated community with $500,000 homes. This is property that needs to be open and accessible, especially with the development directly along the canal. It should also open into Riverfront Park next door.

I was wrong about Huger. Here is the original diagram (this is what the Canalside Company is proposing too):

cityColumbiaSC_Canalside-diagram.jpg

On a separate note, I just saw on the news that the CMRTA is going to redo all the bus stops to create a uniform appearance. Good news there.

Edited by Spartan

I have video renderings of the initial CanalSide proposal. I posted them before, but removed them after a previous topic faded out. LMK if there's interest in downloading and I'll put them back up. I thought the initial designs were nice, but a little bland. They were very much trying to stick to the inherent design of the area -- traditional all-brick. I'm usually a fan of that, but in this case I thought it was kind of too much of a good thing.

Edited by emerging.me

I have video renderings of the initial CanalSide proposal. I posted them before, but removed them after a previous topic faded out. LMK if there's interest in downloading and I'll put them back up.  I thought the initial designs were nice, but a little bland. They were very much trying to stick to the inherent design of the area -- traditional all-brick.  I'm usually a fan of that, but in this case I thought it was kind of too much of a good thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd love to see the vids.

That was awesome! I feel you on the whole brick thing though, it does kinda make it look a little bland, also they need to replace the trees with some palmettos, everybody loves palmettos! Anyway if I had some money I would definately purchase a townhome there! That area is about to blow up in a big way!

I'm new to this post, but I think Columbia needs to develop a better skyline with buildings taller than 25 stories tall. It's like SC is behind in times as a state when both of our neighbors have skylines that make ours look like a small town. The buildings Columbia have now are okay, but they need more, taller buildings.

Columbia also needs more malls and malls that have names that are thought out and not named after the city itself, which confuses out of towners.

And before anyone starts bashing me let me just say that I love Columbia, but I get jealous when our neighbors in Charlotte and Atlanta have access to professional sports teams and big name acts that always seem to skip SC and go from GA to NC.

I'm new to this post, but I think Columbia needs to develop a better skyline with buildings taller than 25 stories tall. It's like SC is behind in times as a state when both of our neighbors have skylines that make ours look like a small town. The buildings Columbia have now are okay, but they need more, taller buildings.

Columbia also needs more malls and malls that have names that are thought out and not named after the city itself, which confuses out of towners.

And before anyone starts bashing me let me just say that I love Columbia, but I get jealous when our neighbors in Charlotte and Atlanta have access to professional sports teams and big name acts that always seem to skip SC and go from GA to NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We discourage bashing here, and those who bash generally regret that decision :)

Anyway- I agree that there is a bit of envy in SC towards what our neighbors have in terms of cities, but you have to remember that SC has small cities becuase it is a small state. It doesn't do well just to build things wiht out a reason (malls or skyscrapers). I think that Columbia has a fantasitc skyline, and over time it will develop in to something quite grand. It will take time though because you have to have growth before more malls and towers ven be put up.

On a similar note, I wonder if Lexingon County, Lower Richland or RNE will see a new mall in the near future (10 years).