The mayor's office

Mr.Marc

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no limit to the number of terms that the mayor can serve in ANY SC city or town that I am aware of. Joe Riley is in his eighth term now, serving since 1975. Coble took office in either '90 or '91.

Frankly, I oppose term limits of any kind. Florence's best mayor, (David McLeod,IMO) served four full terms (1955-1971). No one since has been as good. Riley has done a fantastic job for Charleston and has not 'grown tired' of the job. Greenville's Knox White is in his third term, and also doing a great job.

It has been my observation, that it usually takes 2-4 years for a mayor to really get a good grasp of the job and put himself in a position to be truly effective. Therefore it takes almost a term to get up to speed. Plus, term limits would 'lame duck' the incumbent in his last term.

Jacksonville's last mayor was term limited after two terms. His successor has been disappointing. I would much rather have the previous one serving a third term instead. At least with Jacksonville, term limits make somewhat more sense, because the position is so powerful. Even so, I think the limit should be eliminated.

If Coble does retire, it might be a good time for someone outside of the current city government to run. New blood can be a good thing. A successful businessman could bring a new perspective.

Columbia use to have some great state reps that could do a good job. Tim Rogers and Candy Waites are two that come to mind.

Mystery solved....LOL.

Although I think Bob is doing a good job, I wouldn't be opposed to someone else running in the next mayoral election, just to keep him on his toes.

I also think Bob is doing a good job, but a change will be good for the city. Especially someone who is younger who would bring something new and different to Columbia. I don't know what the average age for a Columbian is, but I believe it's probably around 34 (I'll do my research if no one posts it before me). If the average age is around 34, then I would think a mayor around the same age (or a little older) would help bring new businesses, jobs, etc. to Columbia and also place the city on the map nationally.

I also think Bob is doing a good job, but a change will be good for the city. Especially someone who is younger who would bring something new and different to Columbia. I don't know what the average age for a Columbian is, but I believe it's probably around 34 (I'll do my research if no one posts it before me). If the average age is around 34, then I would think a mayor around the same age (or a little older) would help bring new businesses, jobs, etc. to Columbia and also place the city on the map nationally.

according to city-data..its 28.6 years old..thats 2000.

Getting a little jungle fever there Waccamatt? :P

I'm glad to hear Rutherford is doing a good job. His predesessor was quite lacking in that regard (Alma Byrd). He would make an excellent choice as well. He has experience, yet still fairly young.

Ex city councilman Luther Battiste is another good choice.

• 3 months later...

Getting a little jungle fever there Waccamatt? :P

I'm glad to hear Rutherford is doing a good job. His predesessor was quite lacking in that regard (Alma Byrd). He would make an excellent choice as well. He has experience, yet still fairly young.

Ex city councilman Luther Battiste is another good choice.

Yes, Luther would also make a good choice. I understand he wanted to concentrate on building his law practice, which I totally understand.

Archived