The mayor's office

Mr.Marc

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a small world, or small "Internet" I should say. What up Marcus, it's Bryant :D

Just saw this post. What's up.

Being that you are from Columbia, are you going to come home and help your city elect a new mayor.

Not saying that Bob Coble is doing a bad job, but sometimes change is good. And besides, he's been the mayor of Columbia since I was a kid.

at the 9th annual black history step show tonight at the colonial center they had some dude named azar or azio or something like that their running for mayor and trying to get votes

Joseph Azar runs every four years and gets about 20% of the vote each time. The Fisher guy is the one to watch. I suspect he is really just laying the groundwork to run again when Coble retires or has yet another term under his belt.

I have hammered Coble quite a bit in this forum, but if I lived in Cola now, I really don't know who I would vote for. Given where Columbia is at this particular moment, changing horses might not be the best idea. I'm speaking specifically about the Bull St. and Innovista projects.

However, I would certainly listen to what Fisher has to say before I decided. The fact that Coble has served so long is not necessarily a problem to me. Charleston's Joe Riley has served twice as long and continues to do a excellent job. My problems with Coble are too often he is not as aggressive and forceful as I think he needed to be.

That said, in the last few months, he has given me no particular reason to complain.

Just saw this post. What's up.

Being that you are from Columbia, are you going to come home and help your city elect a new mayor.

Not saying that Bob Coble is doing a bad job, but sometimes change is good. And besides, he's been the mayor of Columbia since I was a kid.

Yes I will vote for a new major, without a doubt.

I like Charles Austin, and I think he'd be a good fit. Although I think he should stay in the City Manager's position a little while longer before running for mayor.

I have hammered Coble quite a bit in this forum, but if I lived in Cola now, I really don't know who I would vote for. Given where Columbia is at this particular moment, changing horses might not be the best idea. I'm speaking specifically about the Bull St. and Innovista projects.

Good point. And look at all of the great things that have happened/are happening under his watch. I'd like to see someone challenge him just for the sake of competition, but I would definitely like to see Coble remain mayor.

Joseph Azar runs every four years and gets about 20% of the vote each time. The Fisher guy is the one to watch. I suspect he is really just laying the groundwork to run again when Coble retires or has yet another term under his belt.

However, I would certainly listen to what Fisher has to say before I decided. The fact that Coble has served so long is not necessarily a problem to me. Charleston's Joe Riley has served twice as long and continues to do a excellent job. My problems with Coble are too often he is not as aggressive and forceful as I think he needed to be.

That said, in the last few months, he has given me no particular reason to complain.

Coble has done a nice job and I will most definately vote for him. You are right that Coble is not as strong as he should be and sometimes wants to say yes to everyone. But, remember we are not a strong mayor system so he really has limited control.

As for the comment from SpartanTS that says Charlie would make a good mayor. Have you ever worked with him? Very ineffective and has added layers and layers of government under him and doesn't not let anyone make the smallest decisions. This makes getting anything done in the city very troublesome.

When evaluating Coble's performance, we also need to keep in mind that the mayor's office is a part-time position in Columbia. That needs to change ASAP, IMO.

I agree, Coble could do alot more if the mayor's job was full time. IMO, Austin was a good police chief, but he isn't a good city manager. I have heard the same as the earlier post about his micromanagement. When Coble decides to retire I think Tameika Devine definitely should take his place.

I agree, Coble could do alot more if the mayor's job was full time. IMO, Austin was a good police chief, but he isn't a good city manager. I have heard the same as the earlier post about his micromanagement. When Coble decides to retire I think Tameika Devine definitely should take his place.

I agree :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

No term limits. Most people in Columbia like the job that Bob does. If he decides not to run again I'd like to see Tameka Devine run. On city council I don't care for Daniel Rickenmann and I can't stand Hamilton Osborne.

Hamilton Osborne gave up his seat years ago and Kirkman Finlay III won it. The mayor is progressive and sees the big picture; he just doesn't have enough power.

Steve Benjamin has officially thrown his name in the hat to run for mayor.

Kevin Fisher of the Free Times, and former mayoral candidate himself, speculates that if Kirkman Finaly also enters the race, he's almost guaranteed to win as Benjamin and Coble will split the Black vote.

I think Finlay might force a runoff, but he would be trounced in a runoff vote, whether against Coble or Benjamin. It would take a very strange alignment of celestial forces for a Republican to be elected as mayor of Columbia today. I know the races are "non-partisan", but the affiliations are no secret. Nevertheless, people always underestimate Bob Coble. Most of the people that don't like him aren't even living in the city. Most people I know think he is a very sincere, good-hearted person. My only complaint is that he tends to be too much of a consensus builder and won't take on contentious issues.

Issac is probably running to help Coble. He will need all the help he can get. After the fraud and mismanagement of the last few years, a shake up is long overdue. Let's hope Columbia finally gets it.

None of that stuff really has to do with the Mayor, it has more to do with the City Manager, who is hired by City Council. Columbia needs a strong mayor form of government to eliminate the City Manager altogether. There is no term limit in city government and I don't agree with term limits anyway. People voting is the term limit.

Archived