University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check this out, this is the new John McDonnell Field. Click on the thumbnails for bigger pics. Gorgeous...

post-4317-1137648148_thumb.jpg

post-4317-1137648169_thumb.jpg

post-4317-1137648210_thumb.jpg

post-4317-1137648238_thumb.jpg

Why didn't I ever think to look that up. :lol: But anyway thanks for the pics Aporkalypse. It will certainly be a great improvement than what we had before. And now we'll finally have an outdoor facility that matches our indoor facility and is worthy of a track program.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics of the developments near Kimpel Hall and the Sam Walton College of Business.

img1345s6eu.jpg

img1346s2we.jpg

img1347s5hs.jpg

img1348s3mp.jpg

For those who don't know...they are building two buildings right there. The one on the left will be the Willard Walker Buisness Graduate Building which of course will house the graduate business school and the one on the right is the J.B. Hunt Center for Academic Excellence which will house university support and computer people.

For those who don't know...they are building two buildings right there. The one on the left will be the Willard Walker Buisness Graduate Building which of course will house the graduate business school and the one on the right is the J.B. Hunt Center for Academic Excellence which will house university support and computer people.

Thanks for the info. I know you mentioned it before but I couldn't recall it offhand.

Thanks for the pics! It looks like the University of Arkansas is more urban than downtown Fayetteville. Anyone ever hear about the maze of underground access tunnels underneath the University? They connect to almost all of the main buildings.

Yep, I think they for one thing contain all the pipes needed for the ac and heat. That of course helps also because they tend to have sidewalks located above them and it helps keep the sidewalks clear of snow and ice. Everyone once in a while you hear about a couple of students who manage to find a way down there.

Yep, I think they for one thing contain all the pipes needed for the ac and heat. That of course helps also because they tend to have sidewalks located above them and it helps keep the sidewalks clear of snow and ice. Everyone once in a while you hear about a couple of students who manage to find a way down there.

I was just curious if anyone ever heard of Urban Explorers. There are a few sites in Fayetteville that are popular with these guys. Their website has pics of the tunnels under the University and other places in Fayetteville. You can check out their website at Underground Ozarks - going everywhere you're not supposed to go in the ozarks.

I was just curious if anyone ever heard of Urban Explorers. There are a few sites in Fayetteville that are popular with these guys. Their website has pics of the tunnels under the University and other places in Fayetteville. You can check out their website at Underground Ozarks - going everywhere you're not supposed to go in the ozarks.

:lol: You beat me to it. Yeah I knew they had checked out the tunnels along with the old Mountain Inn before it was demolished. I thought it was interesting that someone from Missouri had actually heard about the U of A tunnels and had to come check them out.

Those buildings look a bit dated. That's especially surprising considering it's the Business college. Luckily they're getting new buildings...

I don't think the business college building looms that dated. I could see more the argument for the dorms behind it however.

I don't think the business college building looms that dated. I could see more the argument for the dorms behind it however.

I have a friend who works on campus with the facilities maintenance people. He tells me that the rumor is that the next two buildings to be redone are those two dorms, Yocum and Humphries. He says he's heard that they will be demolished and replaced with shorter, nicer dorms.

From my days at the U of A, I can tell you that those dorms are pretty spartan. They don't even have AC.

Those buildings look a bit dated. That's especially surprising considering it's the Business college. Luckily they're getting new buildings...

Too much "buff brick". Imagine how much better it all would look if they had used a mixture of the red brick on Old Main and the limestone gothic look of the Chemistry Building.

That picture is why I hate the trendiness of the construction on campus.

It all looks dated and old eventually.

Classic styles age well.

Too much "buff brick". Imagine how much better it all would look if they had used a mixture of the red brick on Old Main and the limestone gothic look of the Chemistry Building.

That picture is why I hate the trendiness of the construction on campus.

It all looks dated and old eventually.

Classic styles age well.

The color of the brick doesn't bother me personally. Although I do see the point of it not matching Old Main. Of course it look like they were built in the early 80's. Back when there was talk of getting rid of Old Main because of the condition it had fallen into.

Here's a good link with a photo tour of the buildings on campus.

http://www.uark.edu/ArkHort/about_department/tour_uofa.html

My favorites are Old Main, Vol Walker Hall, and the style of the chemistry and Agri buildings in the central campus. The addition to the science and engineering building and the renovation of the part facing Dickson mimic the older collegiate gothic limestone and it looks great to me.

The addition to the library does as well.

Those will age well, while the buff brick monoliths are 30-40 year buildings at best.

Here's a good link with a photo tour of the buildings on campus.

http://www.uark.edu/ArkHort/about_department/tour_uofa.html

My favorites are Old Main, Vol Walker Hall, and the style of the chemistry and Agri buildings in the central campus. The addition to the science and engineering building and the renovation of the part facing Dickson mimic the older collegiate gothic limestone and it looks great to me.

The addition to the library does as well.

Those will age well, while the buff brick monoliths are 30-40 year buildings at best.

Yeah I do like the collegiate gothic limestone that a number of buildings have on campus. Now I admit I do like Old Main, but I can't say that I'm a big brick fan personally. I do like the library addition as well. I just think they need to remodel the rest of it to fit the addition. Maybe I should go back to campus sometime and take some more pics.

Here's an interesting article showing how the University isn't all about just the campus... UA group considering street improvements to make campus more accessible.

Thanks for the article, I knew about some of this but didn't know all the details. I think as the article said it will be a good way to help connect the 'southern' areas of the campus to the main part. It also sounds like they are going to go to some efforts to beautify it as well which is always nice to hear. I'm just wondering if they'll ever try to build some sort of break or something to try to 'hide' the big factory that's just across the street from Baum.

The Arkansas Research & Technology Park has quite an assortment of leading edge technology startups like Virtual Incubation Company, Ocean NanoTech, LLC (awarded US Army contract in 2006), Space Photonics, Inc. (awarded US Air Force contract in 2005) and Cal-Zark, LLC (developer of the Zeus Light Strike Vehicle). There are also a number of local firms included in defense appropriations. There's even a Sam's Club Call Center there.

This is definitely something to keep an eye on.

The Arkansas Research & Technology Park has quite an assortment of leading edge technology startups like Virtual Incubation Company, Ocean NanoTech, LLC (awarded US Army contract in 2006), Space Photonics, Inc. (awarded US Air Force contract in 2005) and Cal-Zark, LLC (developer of the Zeus Light Strike Vehicle). There are also a number of local firms included in defense appropriations. There's even a Sam's Club Call Center there.

This is definitely something to keep an eye on.

I've been hearing a bit of what's going on out there. But I haven't seen a lot of those links, thanks for the updates and all the links. :D

There will be a new bronze statue on the UA campus. It was recently announced that a generous couple has donated a replica of a famous bronze statue in Florence, Italy called "Il Porcellino" at a cost of $75,000. Read the story here.

Here's a picture of the one in Florence that I found on Google.

1278032-Il_Porcellino-Florence.jpg

Looks like the new statue is on campus now. Although I haven't quite figured out where it's supposed to be. I'm hoping to get over there sometime this week and take a few pictures of it.

Archived