Ivy League of the South

Rufus

new england, mid atlantic, to those out west its all the same. if you want to get technical, ok, all ivies are in the midatlantic/new england area, or just generically northeast. but when like 90% of america can't even identify half the states in the US on a blank map, it really doesn't matter

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Texas isn't the South? What school did you go to? Read your Civil War history. Texas is one of the stars on the Confederate flag. You've been watching too much Yankee TV that tries to divide the South.

agreed. i feel the same way about people thinking kentucky, west virginia, and missouri are in the south as well. West virginia made it clear they didn't want to be in the south.

Texas isn't the South? What school did you go to? Read your Civil War history. Texas is one of the stars on the Confederate flag. You've been watching too much Yankee TV that tries to divide the South.

People that think that clearly haven't spend much time in East Texas. If you can distinguish rural East Texas from rural Louisiana and Arkansas, let me know how.

People that think that clearly haven't spend much time in East Texas. If you can distinguish rural East Texas from rural Louisiana and Arkansas, let me know how
Texas is made up into 3 regions, it's not all south southwest or mid-west, it all depends on the location your in at the moment for example. If I were in Amarillo there culture is not southern or southwestern its a mid-west fill, same thing with El Paso or San Antonio there culture is not southern or mid western its all southwest now Austin to the east and Houston to the south and east and a little north has a strong southern fill. Now to the original question Rice is a very prestigious school so I'd have to choose Rice

People that think that clearly haven't spend much time in East Texas. If you can distinguish rural East Texas from rural Louisiana and Arkansas, let me know how.

Excellent point, Aporkalypse. It all just runs together. I can leave Shreveport and drive 100 miles in any direction and it all looks the same. The only way to truly distinguish rural Texas from rural Louisiana or Arkansas is to look at the near-perfect roads! :) Because you know immediately when you've crossed from Texas into Louisiana. If there were no signs, the only way to know would be from the roads.

BTW, here are the 2007 U.S. News College Rankings:

1. Princeton University(NJ)

2. Harvard University(MA)

3. Yale University(CT)

4. California Institute of Technology

4. Stanford University(CA)

4. Massachusetts Inst. of Technology

7. University of Pennsylvania

8. Duke University(NC)

9. Dartmouth College(NH)

9. Columbia University(NY)

9. University of Chicago

12. Cornell University(NY)

12. Washington University in St. Louis

14. Northwestern University(IL)

15. Brown University(RI)

16. Johns Hopkins University(MD)

17. Rice University(TX)

18. Vanderbilt University(TN)

18. Emory University(GA)

20. University of Notre Dame(IN)

21. Carnegie Mellon University(PA)

21. University of California-Berkeley *

23. Georgetown University(DC)

24. University of Virginia *

24. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor *

26. Univ. of California-Los Angeles *

27. U. of North Carolina-Chapel Hill *

27. Univ. of Southern California

27. Tufts University(MA)

30. Wake Forest University(NC)

31. College of William and Mary(VA) *

31. Brandeis University(MA)

33. Lehigh University(PA)

34. Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison *

34. Boston College

34. New York University

34. University of Rochester(NY)

38. Case Western Reserve Univ.(OH)

38. Univ. of California-San Diego *

38. Georgia Institute of Technology *

41. U. of Illinois-Urbana - Champaign *

42. University of Washington *

42. Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst.(NY)

44. University of California-Irvine *

44. Tulane University(LA) 11

44. Yeshiva University(NY)

47. Pennsylvania State U.

I can speak for the best schools in Virginia because that's what I know best.

Top 5 (in no particular order):

University of Virginia

William and Mary

Virginia Tech

Washington and Lee

University of Mary Washington

Of course, it also depends on what you're looking for. UVA and W+M are just about unparalleled in pre-law, UVA is great for pre-med, VT is one of the best public engineering and architecture schools in the country, yatta yatta.

I highlighted UVA and W+M in particular because they're generally considered public Ivy's.

Standards for good schools are very very subjective I think. Each school is quite different, so it's hard to make an objective measurement.

Archived