What is Columbia known for?

Spartan

What is Columbia known for? I mean that in any sense.... historic stuff, famous people, battles, good stuff or bad stuff....

My list from the other thread:

• The Doolittle Raiders (WW2) - name sake of the former Columbia Bombers baseball team

• Government, and being the state capital

• Hootie and the Blowfish

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess this somewhat ties into my "Does Columbia have an identity?" thread.

Unfortunately, for most non-South Carolinians who have no ties to the area, one of the first thoughts to come to mind would probably be the Confederate flag issue, even though that wasn't a direct reflection on Columbia as a city, but rather the state as a whole to a great extent.

Other than that, I'm not sure what outsiders would say, but obviously one of the things that puts Columbia on the map in a significant way is USC, particularly sports. The men's basketball team winning the NIT championship (not as prestigious as the NCAA championship, but a great consolation prize) and Steve Spurrier's arrival has helped put Columbia in the limelight.

The Gamecocks, the summer heat, how it was burned by Sherman, a growing arts scene that can stand against any other city in the region -- even the big boys, the friendliness of its people, its proximity to two major interstates (odd thing to be known for but true from a business standpoint), and increasingly the three rivers.

It's hard for me to think of something a non-South Carolinian could name....Hmmmm....Can't think of nothing unique....But as a local person or South Carolinain, Columbia has the largest Army base in the country

ummm...not really....Fort Benning in GA is larger in area and in population....Fort Hood in Texas is the largest in population.

On the positive end I think Columbia is best known for its friendly people, the Gamecocks, Riverbanks Zoo, for being the capital of South Carolina, for Lake Murray, and for being a growing southeastern city. Not that all outsiders asked could tell you all of these things, but most could tell you at least one of them.

Sorry...Meant TRAINING base...You didn't name anything before you had to be so quick to correct me... :D

nothing personal....I pretty much agree with emerging.me, so why be repetitive. I think those are the things Columbia is known for. I think the larger issue is WHO (or how many people) actually know these things.

Two Notch doesn't cross the Congaree ;) Perhaps you mean Gervais St?

Yea, thats what i meant. I forgot that US 1 turns onto Gervais St from Two Notch[google indicates street changes from Two Notch to N Millwood Ave but i never heard of that street] when coming from north to south. Appreciate the street name correction there :D

To thousands of women around the world, Columbia is known as the home base for The Firm. The studio is in Five Points on Hardin St. The Firm actually originated in Charleston which is where the first studio was opened. The first video was also filmed in Charleston. After the owners solf The Firm, the Charleston studio closed. Now, only Cola remains.

FWIW, The Firm's founders have a new company called Women's Health and Fitness Network also based in Columbia. The former Charleston instructors now work at a club called, V. If you've never been there, try it. It's an upscale health club. Very nice. They make videos, too! Tracie Long Training

You'd be amazed, but there truly are women from all over the world who have heard of Columbia (some even visit) because of the The Firm studio and videos. SC in general has quite the reputation for fitness videos!

Archived