Poinsett Highway

GSP Tiger

I am behind revitalization of Poinsett Highway 100%. This is one of the primary entryways into Downtown Greenville from the North. It's also a potentially beautiful view of Paris Mountain as you're driving away from Greenville towards Cherrydale. Everything in between, however, has fell victim to neglect and apathy.

If there's any one stretch of highway in or around Greenville where the utilities need to be put below ground, this is it.

I had accepted the challenge to take photos of this stretch of highway some time back from the "What would you Destroy?" thread. I've taken a few photos, but I'm not happy enough with them to post any yet. I'll give it another go as soon as I can.

In the mean time, there are some minor happenings along the Poinsett Highway between Downtown Greenville and Cherrydale:

• A Sculpture Garden at the Intersection of Pete Hollis Highway and Poinsett Highway is in the works, thanks to the Friends of Pete Hollis
  • Dollar General recently opened a store just North of Rutherford.
  • Some Landscaping Improvements are being undertaken near the new Dollar General at the intersection / merge of Rutherford and Poinsett Highway.
  • O'Reilly Auto Parts has built a new store which should be opening soon.

I had heard or read recently where the City of Greenville is looking to annex this area all the way to Cherrydale, as well.

Does anybody know of any specific projects or real estate moves along Poinsett Highway between Cherrydale and Downtown that may be notable?

Edited by RestedTraveler

Have I heard a green median is in the works? It would be nice to have trees lines down the middle of the road from Cherrydale to downtown. It would be something similar to North Pine Street in Spartanburg.

I haven't heard that, but that would be very nice to have trees down the median between Cherrydale and Downtown. It'd make it a little more pleasing on the eyes.

• 3 months later...

Noticed a couple of things this weekend. The two story building beside the Dollar General is in the process of being renovated and actually look very nice. Looks like it will be multi tenant. Anybody know about this? Hope its something better than Dollar General. :)

Also, on the medians, drive down Rutherford and there have been planted medians constructed at every intersection....much improvement. I was told (by a city employee) this is the same planting program that will be done on Poinsett Highway. :thumbsup:

Noticed a couple of things this weekend. The two story building beside the Dollar General is in the process of being renovated and actually look very nice. Looks like it will be multi tenant. Anybody know about this? Hope its something better than Dollar General. :)

Also, on the medians, drive down Rutherford and there have been planted medians constructed at every intersection....much improvement. I was told (by a city employee) this is the same planting program that will be done on Poinsett Highway. :thumbsup:

This is the old Auld Hardware Store. I was discussing this with jarvisj3 at the ballpark tour. It's owned by and being renovated by the same people that own and renovated the Dollar General next door. It is, indeed, looking great! There looks to be two separate retail spaces downstairs and at least two office/residential spaces upstairs, perhaps.

This is the old Auld Hardware Store. I was discussing this with jarvisj3 at the ballpark tour. It's owned by and being renovated by the same people that own and renovated the Dollar General next door. It is, indeed, looking great! There looks to be two separate retail spaces downstairs and at least two office/residential spaces upstairs, perhaps.

Thanks RT.

There is another little row of buildings across Rutherford where it joins Poinsett. The litttle row of storefronts that curve with the street. These could be incredible if redone. Hopefully this area is on it's way back. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is actually renovating the Auld Hardware building as well as the old grocery store for Dollar General - we actually are thrilled to have one so close by! There are no tenants involved yet with the Auld building - we are looking at furniture stores, studio space, etc. It will remain mercantile due to zoning & building codes. Although I am a bit partial, I truly believe the building looks fantastic as you leave downtown and look forward to more revitalization of Poinsett Highway.

Hi kshgdg! Welcome to UrbanPlanet! We hope to hear a lot more out of you going into the future.

I have to say that I appreciate the work that your husband has done with the Auld Hardware building and the Dollar General. They look great!

These two redevelopment projects combined with the new O'Reilly Auto Parts store are the first of what I hope will be a wave of redevelopment and renovation along this stretch of Poinsett Highway, between Stone Avenue and Cherrydale. This has such potential to become such a beautiful corridor into and out of Greenville, especially taking the view of Paris Mountain on the way out of town into consideration. I really trust and hope that there are more such improvements to come.

Here are a couple of photos that I took this morning for the folks out there that have no idea where or what these buildings are:

114348954_a3f0a6c53e_b.jpg

114348955_9f9e0d1121_b.jpg

I also love the monument-style walls that have been put in place at this end of Rutherford as well as at the intersection of Rutherford and Pleasantburg Highway. Do you have any idea what these are, kshgdg? Will there be signage attached to them or lighting?

My husband is actually renovating the Auld Hardware building as well as the old grocery store for Dollar General - we actually are thrilled to have one so close by! There are no tenants involved yet with the Auld building - we are looking at furniture stores, studio space, etc. It will remain mercantile due to zoning & building codes. Although I am a bit partial, I truly believe the building looks fantastic as you leave downtown and look forward to more revitalization of Poinsett Highway.

Welcome kshghg! Nice to see this stretch of Poinsett getting some attention! My hats off to you and your husband! :thumbsup: Hope to see much more of this kind of renovation along the Poinsett corridor. If you hear of any, please keep us looped in. :D

''I also love the monument-style walls that have been put in place at this end of Rutherford as well as at the intersection of Rutherford and Pleasantburg Highway. Do you have any idea what these are, kshgdg? Will there be signage attached to them or lighting?''

RT I think the city has something to do with this. The same has been done at the intersection of Pleasantburg and Rutherford. Up in front of the cleaners there. But I do think there will be some

kind of signage. Kinda like what we've been seeing.

The building looks GREAT. Greenville owes you and husband a debt of service.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great pictures...we have some exciting possibilities for this building - I will definitely keep y'all posted. We have gotten some exciting tenant choices, so we are still in the process of working out all the details.

The stone walls that are at either end of Rutherford have been built by the City of Greenville. We were so excited that they were able to brighten up our corner. I believe they are also building them at the intersection of North Main & Rutherford, where the house is being remodeled(on either side of the road).

Thanks to everyone who complimented my husband & his partners on their hard work...we are thrilled with how great it looks too! If I hear of any other developments coming to the area, I will definitely let you know!

• 8 months later...

Hey kshgdg...I don't know if you're still lurking out there, but can you give me the scoop on Snap Shot? What kind of establishment is it going to be? It looks to be a coffee house and art gallery all wrapped up in one. I've got some designs on starting something here in Greenville that involves regular events such as I've seen going on in other cities, related to flickr and flickr photographers and I'd maybe like to contact the proprietors once they're open and run something by them.

It looks like work is getting ready to begin on the fountain at the point near Heritage Green. There's a small trailer and a small construction vehicle on site. :thumbsup:

Nice to hear and in a few months the Pete Hollis Statue Garden will be facing it. However I don't think this area is consider Poinsett Hwy. Poinsett Hwy doesn't technically begin until Rutherford Road makes the sharp turn (Yes, I know it's technically an intersection but at one time I assume it wasn't that way) in front of the new Snap Shot Cafe and Art Bar.

It looks like work is getting ready to begin on the fountain at the point near Heritage Green. There's a small trailer and a small construction vehicle on site. :thumbsup:

Are there renderings or any idea of what this fountain will look like or do? I'm really excited about it and what it means for this portion of downtown. I see it as a spark that has the potential to fuel growth like the West End's rebirth. Adding just this one aspect of pedestrian friendliness and somewhat of an attraction(?), in addition to the work done on College Street, can influence a developer to develop a project that will be this area's West End Field. It will be exciting to watch. Let's cross our fingers!

Edited by GvilleSC

Are there renderings or any idea of what this fountain will look like or do?

There was a rendering published in the Greenville Journal a few weeks ago. I no longer have that edition, so I can't scan it in and post it. It looks pretty nice. From the rendering, if I recall, the fountain will essentially be a high stone wall crossing the base of the triangle with water flowing down the wall from the top. There will be a sidewalk/plaza on at least two different levels behind and in front of the fountain. The sidewalk behind the fountain on the upper level will run to a brick (or paver) crosswalk which crosses College Street to Heritage Green. I hope I've described the rendering well enough that you can picture it. I'm sure I've left out some details.

I have to say, if this isn't officially where Poinsett Highway begins, it really should be, IMHO. :lol:

Any idea who owns the row of storefronts across Rutherford from Snap Shot? (This is the row of 4 or 5 storefronts that curve with the intersection). Everytime I drive by, these storefronts seem to be crying out to be redone. I could easily see a couple of cute restaurants, coffe house, retail, etc going into these spaces.

I really wish the triangle building could have been saved. It would be so nice to have such a "unique" historic structure already in place when redevelopment reaches its potential along that stretch. The Pete Hollis memorial will be nice, but the building would have been better there, IMO. Oh well. :(

The triangle place was kind of neat but it was also very creepy. Especially towards the end when those "theater people" moved in and the only thing that could be seen for months was the glow of a tacky lamp on the second floor. :unsure: