Shackleford Crossings

Interesting. That area needs a Lowe's but you would wonder if another theatre so close to the Rave and UA theatres, which are both pretty state of the art, would make much sense.

I think a Lowe's or Home Depot would do well out on Hwy 10 as well.

It was a two year old site plan, so dont get your hopes up on the Lowe's. It would be a good location for one though...I also wondered about the theater. It doesnt make much since considering the popularity of Rave.

It was a two year old site plan, so dont get your hopes up on the Lowe's. It would be a good location for one though...I also wondered about the theater. It doesnt make much since considering the popularity of Rave.

There is a big deficiency of home improvement stores in the city of Little Rock. There are actually fewer now than there were a few years ago when the HQ store (now Garden Ridge) on Chenal closed when the chain went bankrupt.

Home Depot has their always packed West LR location and another in Southwest LR/Mabelvale but there are no Lowe's in LR though they are a few in surrounding communities. I think it's only natural that Lowe's would want at least one site in LR, perhaps two. The greatest opportunity would be the midtown market but next to this Hwy 10 or Shackleford would be great locations.

Nice article in the Business section of the Demozette today about Shackleford Crossing.

Main shopping center is to be 580,000 SF. Outparcels another 50,000 SF. Office space roughly 250,000 SF so ultimately the total should be around 900,000 SF. 30-40 retailers will be included with 8-10 restaurants.

The original schematic included a JC Penney's and Wal-Mart Supercenter. Names tied to the site now include: Cracker Barrel, First Security Bank, Logan

Is the office space going to be intergrated into the retail, with ground floor retail and second or third floor office space?

I haven't seen a diagram yet but I bet it will be typically suburban with separate office buildings. The stores seem mostly big box and that makes offices over ground floor retail a bit trickier.

I tend to love that arrangment, though. Southlake Town Square uses that SO well. I'm hoping we'll eventually see that at the University Mall site.

I tend to love that arrangment, though. Southlake Town Square uses that SO well. I'm hoping we'll eventually see that at the University Mall site.

The Promenade in Rogers is suppose to do that as well.

I guess it would be a challenge with "Big-Box" Stores. It's much easier to do with a Lifestyle project than a Power Center Project.

The Promenade in Rogers is suppose to do that as well.

I guess it would be a challenge with "Big-Box" Stores. It's much easier to do with a Lifestyle project than a Power Center Project.

It never occurred to me until you mentioned that, but it would've been a nice way to develop the Midtowne Center. There is a big need for office space in Midtown and that might've helped increase their profit margin.

It never occurred to me until you mentioned that, but it would've been a nice way to develop the Midtowne Center. There is a big need for office space in Midtown and that might've helped increase their profit margin.

That's probably the reason why the Brandon House property was purchased with plans to convert it to office space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not that this is any big surprise, but the plumbing review site lists JC Penny for Shackleford Crossing. There has been no official announcement about the retailers coming to the center, but this seems to make the Penny location nearly a certainty.

Hopefully that means they're leaving University Mall, further strengthing the argument against Simon.

What is the plumbing permit website you're writing about where it lists Penney's? If they go, I'm sure they'd close at Univ. The city prob couldn't support 2, or it may close a few months later...

JC Penney's been a well-known tenant for Shackeford Crossing for some time. Also in that development will be a Dunlap's, which is a department store owned by the MM Cohn parent company. I assume this means that MM Cohn's will be closing their University location as well.

• 1 month later...

I found the brochure for the development on Clary's website with drawings and the layout...

Shackleford Crossing

Kind of blah, I can't believe this is what replaced the Summit Mall.

Tenants visible on the sitemap:

Wal-Mart, JC Penney, Babies-R-Us, Dunlap's (Dept Store - parent of MM Cohn's), TJ Maxx, Starbucks (of course), Abuelo's, Red Robin, Cracker Barrel, First Security Bank, Logan's Roadhouse, Golf Galaxy, K&G Superstore, Maurice's.

Oh well, at least it looks like a high-end Wal-Mart. It's still a crap development for sure a prime site.

I wouldn't call it a crap development, but the site could be used better. I can't reveal any details on the Wal-Mart, but expect it to be something like the one of Chenal or South Rogers. :thumbsup:

Abuelo's is a good mexican restaurant. The one in Rogers usually has a line every night. They have beautiful frescos along the walls with the restaurant set around a mexican square.

I wouldn't call it a crap development, but the site could be used better. I can't reveal any details on the Wal-Mart, but expect it to be something like the one of Chenal or South Rogers. :thumbsup:

I'm not dogging WM, I'm just not terribly excited about any of the other tenants. It's really a lower middle class (at best) mall in an upper middle class area, in my opinion. The WM facade shown on that brochure looks nice, I must agree.

It looks like the Promenade at Chenal and Gateway Towne Centre will be where the nicer stores and restaurants will opt for (save Abuelo's, which is decent).

I guess there will be another large empty former Wal Mart building to deal with. Maybe Lowes will come in and take over the site.

I had heard Lowe's was looking on Hwy 10 in west LR, any truth to that?

WM better allow someone else (save Target) to come in and occupy that building or there will be serious anti-WM sentiment. Leaving a hulking abandoned building at one of the state's busiest intersections (Chenal and Bowman) in an affluent area won't go over well. Lowe's would be a good choice but WM shouldn't hold onto the property to keep a competitor from coming in the way they often do. It will seriously piss off most of West LR.

There will be no empty building left. The plans are to extend Sam's club out, making it much bigger...and using the remaining of the building for a Neighborhood Market.

Interesting. I'd rather see them build a different Sam's Club elsewhere in LR (Midtown?). The traffic at that one is just a royal pain in the rear. There are 2 Sam's in NE Dallas I use on occasion and both have maybe 1/3 the number of cars as that Sam's. Would anybody use a Neighborhood Market so close to two Supercenters? I don't know but if as you say WM is doing all of this, I have no issues with them over that. I just hate to see abandoned Wal-Marts like the one on Asher/Col Glenn near University.

Interesting. I'd rather see them build a different Sam's Club elsewhere in LR (Midtown?). The traffic at that one is just a royal pain in the rear. There are 2 Sam's in NE Dallas I use on occasion and both have maybe 1/3 the number of cars as that Sam's. Would anybody use a Neighborhood Market so close to two Supercenters? I don't know but if as you say WM is doing all of this, I have no issues with them over that. I just hate to see abandoned Wal-Marts like the one on Asher/Col Glenn near University.

That Wal Mart is now the Mosaic Church.