Shackleford Crossings

I'd rather see them build a different Sam's Club elsewhere in LR (Midtown?). The traffic at that one is just a royal pain in the rear.

I live in Midtown and would rather NOT see a Sam's Club in Midtown. That is also the sentiment of the Urban Land Institute Study and the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board. Now, Costco on the other hand.... (just kidding!). A central theme for redevelopment in Midtown is the scale of the buildings and blocks. This is reflected somewhat in Simon's recent proposal, save the Target.

The reuse of the Wal-Mart property sounds smart. All that traffic shows how successful that location is for Sam's and Walmart. I've been there twice this week. I had no greater issues with traffic at Sam's than other places that I have been to in WLR.

I live in Midtown and would rather NOT see a Sam's Club in Midtown. That is also the sentiment of the Urban Land Institute Study and the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board. Now, Costco on the other hand.... (just kidding!). A central theme for redevelopment in Midtown is the scale of the buildings and blocks. This is reflected somewhat in Simon's recent proposal, save the Target.

The reuse of the Wal-Mart property sounds smart. All that traffic shows how successful that location is for Sam's and Walmart. I've been there twice this week. I had no greater issues with traffic at Sam's than other places that I have been to in WLR.

I didn't mean Midtown as in the site of the former University Mall. I wouldn't mind seeing a Lowe's, Sam's (or Costco, which apparently said it's not interested in Arkansas), and Target somewhere nearby but they could be a bit further south on university or even on the fringes of the area - West around Rodney Parham/12th/Kanis/Mississippi exits or even possibly in Riverdale Shopping Center once the theatre closes.

I think of midtown as meaning not just the intersection of University and Markham but also the surrounding neighborhoods as well, at least it seems to be morphing into that.

I think a Home Depot or Lowe's is actually a big need for the area. It's absurd that LR's core lacks a large discount store or a home improvement store.

I didn't mean Midtown as in the site of the former University Mall. I wouldn't mind seeing a Lowe's, Sam's (or Costco, which apparently said it's not interested in Arkansas), and Target somewhere nearby but they could be a bit further south on university or even on the fringes of the area - West around Rodney Parham/12th/Kanis/Mississippi exits or even possibly in Riverdale Shopping Center once the theatre closes.

Are you sure about Costco? There was an article in one of the NWA papers that talked to Costco officials about the possibility of stores in Arkansas. They mentioned that they were looking into Central Arkansas within the immediate future and NWA within 10 years. The article isn't too old either.

Are you sure about Costco? There was an article in one of the NWA papers that talked to Costco officials about the possibility of stores in Arkansas. They mentioned that they were looking into Central Arkansas within the immediate future and NWA within 10 years. The article isn't too old either.

This is per an article about Simon's midtown proposal. It mentioned not only that Costco wasn't interested in the site but also that they weren't interested in expanding into Arkansas at this time. Of course, the writer may have misinterpreted information he received from Simon.

That said, I still wonder if they're the "discount" anchor on the Shoppes at North Hills' site plan.

It wasn't that long ago we heard that Starbuck's said they weren't interested in building freestanding stores in Arkansas, either. The first freestanding stores in Arkansas popped up in Little Rock no more than 2 years after that quote.

This is per an article about Simon's midtown proposal. It mentioned not only that Costco wasn't interested in the site but also that they weren't interested in expanding into Arkansas at this time. Of course, the writer may have misinterpreted information he received from Simon.

That said, I still wonder if they're the "discount" anchor on the Shoppes at North Hills' site plan.

It wasn't that long ago we heard that Starbuck's said they weren't interested in building freestanding stores in Arkansas, either. The first freestanding stores in Arkansas popped up in Little Rock no more than 2 years after that quote.

Exactly. Little Rock now has around 12 Starbucks, and NWA has 6 with 3 more under construction.

The Little Rock market seems better for a Costco than NWA, IMO. The Shopps at North Hills would seem like a good site for a Costco.

Exactly. Little Rock now has around 12 Starbucks, and NWA has 6 with 3 more under construction.

The Little Rock market seems better for a Costco than NWA, IMO. The Shopps at North Hills would seem like a good site for a Costco.

Well, it takes huge nuts to open up stores that compete with WM and Sam's in NWA. That didn't stop Target, mind you, but Costco would be kind of marginal for that market anyway. The WM factor might just be the deterrent.

I hope LR gets one but they still probably need to expand to plenty of other places as well. For instance, DFW has 7 in the suburbs but there is only 1 in Dallas County and none in the city of Dallas.

Well, it takes huge nuts to open up stores that compete with WM and Sam's in NWA. That didn't stop Target, mind you, but Costco would be kind of marginal for that market anyway. The WM factor might just be the deterrent.

I hope LR gets one but they still probably need to expand to plenty of other places as well. For instance, DFW has 7 in the suburbs but there is only 1 in Dallas County and none in the city of Dallas.

Costco probably won't be coming to NWA for a while since a Sam's was just built and another is under construction. LR is a larger market that is a bit more diversified, which would make market entry much easier.

I think of midtown as meaning not just the intersection of University and Markham but also the surrounding neighborhoods as well, at least it seems to be morphing into that.

That's fair.

I think a Home Depot or Lowe's is actually a big need for the area. It's absurd that LR's core lacks a large discount store or a home improvement store.

big need?

In greater midtown, we have Hocott's, Cantrell Gardens, Green Thumb and Botanical Gardens (or something like that). We have Kaufman and Kraftco and Fuller and Sons.

I can imagine a Home Depot or Lowe's in the Riverdale Shopping Center. But, I cannot imagine them sharing the center with a Harvest Foods and Office Depot. And, I'm not really sure why.

That's fair.

big need?

In greater midtown, we have Hocott's, Cantrell Gardens, Green Thumb and Botanical Gardens (or something like that). We have Kaufman and Kraftco and Fuller and Sons.

I can imagine a Home Depot or Lowe's in the Riverdale Shopping Center. But, I cannot imagine them sharing the center with a Harvest Foods and Office Depot. And, I'm not really sure why.

There are a lot of things you can't find at the hardware stores you mentioned that you could find at Lowe's or Home Depot, particularly a good variety of indoor and outdoor lighting fixtures, knobs and other hardware you need to update an older home yourself. I know a lot of people in these neighborhoods grip about constantly driving all the way out to the Home Depot at Markham and Chenal. Considering that there is a constant state of renovation in these older homes it seems like an ideal area for a home improvement store.

As far as nurseries, no home improvement store or Wal-Mart can ever compete with a well-stocked local nursery like Cantrell Gardens or Green Thumb.

To make a Lowe's or Home Depot work in Riverdale you'd have to move the Office Depot over and put that store on the end where the Office Depot is now. I could certainly see that working.

There was an article in the Dem. gaz. today about Shackleford crossing...

"Wal-Mart Stores Inc. confirmed Tuesday that it will relocate its west Little Rock store to Shackleford Crossing under construction at Interstate 430 and Shackleford Road.

Spokesman Laurie Smalling said the company plans to open a Supercenter in 2008, after which it would demolish the Wal-Mart at 700 S. Bowman Road and construct a Neighborhood Market, Wal-Mart

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. Their site plan showed a lot that hasn't been confirmed...like Cracker Barrel...it's about time LR gets one. Also, JC Penney may not be confirming a location there, but their application to the health department does.

It looks like building foundations are about to start out on S Crossing. Driving by, its cleared completely with trailers there that look like they might start putting up some concrete soon. I think it's Penney's end they're starting on...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today's ADG had an extensive article about Shackleford Crossing. The sitework took 6 months because of the leveling of the hill there, 1.8 million cubic yards of dirt were moved and the old Comcast building was demolished (interesting, when site work began several mos ago I actually checked out from the Comcast parking lot).

Foundation work for Penney's, as someone noted here, is underway.

Clary is spending $7 million to widen Shackleford, its overpass, and install 5 traffic lights.

Tenants were largely those we already knew of plus a furniture store, an Alltel Wireless, , a Panda Buffet, a Fu-Weng restaurant, a women's jewelry store, 4 women's clothing stores, and a seafood restaurant.

Any guess on the seafood restaurant? There are a few LR lacks I'm expecting - Copeland's, Fish City, or Joe's Crab Shack.

Today's ADG had an extensive article about Shackleford Crossing. The sitework took 6 months because of the leveling of the hill there, 1.8 million cubic yards of dirt were moved and the old Comcast building was demolished (interesting, when site work began several mos ago I actually checked out from the Comcast parking lot).

Foundation work for Penney's, as someone noted here, is underway.

Clary is spending $7 million to widen Shackleford, its overpass, and install 5 traffic lights.

Tenants were largely those we already knew of plus a furniture store, an Alltel Wireless, , a Panda Buffet, a Fu-Weng restaurant, a women's jewelry store, 4 women's clothing stores, and a seafood restaurant.

Any guess on the seafood restaurant? There are a few LR lacks I'm expecting - Copeland's, Fish City, or Joe's Crab Shack.

I heard that NLR was getting Joe's Crab Shack - now of course that is a "take it with a grain of salt"/"heard from a friend" thing I heard.

Or maybe it will be the seafood place that Conway got last summer over on Salem. ("Joey's", I think). I have never been there but it allways seems busy.

Edited by shcwilj

I heard that NLR was getting Joe's Crab Shack - now of course that is a "take it with a grain of salt"/"heard from a friend" thing I heard.

Or maybe it will be the seafood place that Conway got last summer over on Salem. ("Joey's", I think). I have never been there but it allways seems busy.

LR/NLR is probably way overdue for a Joe's Crab Shack, not that it's anything I get excited about but it's notably missing from the market. They tend to pick easy locations visible from a freeway and the McCain area and I-430 would be nice fits.

Is anybody else disappointed in the tenant list so far for this particular shopping center? Very low tier sounding to me. Goody's, Dunlaps, Wal-Mart, Penny's, Fu-Weng?, panda buffet, etc. Of the retailers/restaurants listed in the arkansas business article, there isn't one that I am interested in. That is such a great location with a ton of potential, and I am just very disappointed with what I am reading. I think the developer has set the bar too low in going after possible tenants.

Is anybody else disappointed in the tenant list so far for this particular shopping center? Very low tier sounding to me. Goody's, Dunlaps, Wal-Mart, Penny's, Fu-Weng?, panda buffet, etc. Of the retailers/restaurants listed in the arkansas business article, there isn't one that I am interested in. That is such a great location with a ton of potential, and I am just very disappointed with what I am reading. I think the developer has set the bar too low in going after possible tenants.

Unfortunately this ended up being a lower-end center. I think if your anchors are going to be a Supercenter and JC Penney's, you're stuck with these kinds of tenants. I wonder if Red Robin and Abuelo's have opted to go elsewhere to nicer developments.

Compared with what we saw originally with the Summit Mall it's very disappointing, that was going to be first class. Simon was going to force the city to spend millions on improving Shackleford and the overpass and Clary's doing it out of pocked. I guess that's the difference in its hasty approval.

I'm not too disappointed. Not every shopping center can go after the Midtowne or Parisian customers. This center will be much busier than either of those because it caters more to LR income customers. The line-up is not dirt cheap, just budget. I hear there may be another couple of shoe stores, restraunts, a hotel, a Gamestop, and a Booksamillion. We'll see.

I'm not too disappointed. Not every shopping center can go after the Midtowne or Parisian customers. This center will be much busier than either of those because it caters more to LR income customers. The line-up is not dirt cheap, just budget. I hear there may be another couple of shoe stores, restraunts, a hotel, a Gamestop, and a Booksamillion. We'll see.

Alright, you make a good point. I guess the main reason I'm not thrilled is that thus far it's not really bringing many national retailers to the market, the anchors are simply evacuating their current locations in town. In fact, this is the death knell for University. Five years ago that would've bothered me, now I'm just hoping it's the push Simon needs to do something.

Alright, you make a good point. I guess the main reason I'm not thrilled is that thus far it's not really bringing many national retailers to the market, the anchors are simply evacuating their current locations in town. In fact, this is the death knell for University. Five years ago that would've bothered me, now I'm just hoping it's the push Simon needs to do something.

National retailers have options now with Pleasant Ridge and Midtowne and many are still not coming to the market. They may be waiting on the Promenade, but if I were a national retailer I would want to locate in Midtowne. It is at one of the busier intersections in the city and across the street from the city's only major retail center. Plus you have several income pools in the area from the affluent Heights area, upper middle class Leawood and Hillcrest and several middle class neighborhoods including Briarwood, University Park, Oak Forest and Broadmoor. I think a lot of the national retailers still have a wait and see attitude about the market. Hopefully Pottery Barn, Williams Sonama and the few other national retailers that have recently entered the market are very successful and entice some of the others to go ahead and come to Little Rock.

National retailers have options now with Pleasant Ridge and Midtowne and many are still not coming to the market. They may be waiting on the Promenade, but if I were a national retailer I would want to locate in Midtowne. It is at one of the busier intersections in the city and across the street from the city's only major retail center. Plus you have several income pools in the area from the affluent Heights area, upper middle class Leawood and Hillcrest and several middle class neighborhoods including Briarwood, University Park, Oak Forest and Broadmoor. I think a lot of the national retailers still have a wait and see attitude about the market. Hopefully Pottery Barn, Williams Sonama and the few other national retailers that have recently entered the market are very successful and entice some of the others to go ahead and come to Little Rock.

Midtown's not having much trouble filling their slots. In fact I doubt they would've if it had been double the square footage. Park Plaza is indoors and too small to accomodate all of the stores and restaurants that want to be in the market.

I think the whole Flake and Kelley project on Col Glenn is about national retailers wanting new locations in LR and not getting the type of shopping center they want for it and demand made F&K see the opportunity and get involved. Too many names have popped up a few times, even making it on the leasing diagrams, and then bailed at the last minute. Shackleford Crossing and Midtowne were built because of demand for those types of stores in their respective parts of town, there was little risk. Pleasant Ridge was somewhat speculative and has been a mixed bag. I still think we'll find out Promenade stole most of their tenants. Still, Promenade will only be 350,000 SF - nothing massive. Unlike Pleasant Ridge it seems like most of this is for restaurants and smaller retailers and isn't being used on large anchors.

I kind of wish Midtowne had happened on the old University Mall site and been on a grander scale with a movie theater and bookstore. It was just very tough to make much out of that small parcel, and Strode did very well with what they had to work with.

Midtown's not having much trouble filling their slots. In fact I doubt they would've if it had been double the square footage. Park Plaza is indoors and too small to accomodate all of the stores and restaurants that want to be in the market.

I think the whole Flake and Kelley project on Col Glenn is about national retailers wanting new locations in LR and not getting the type of shopping center they want for it and demand made F&K see the opportunity and get involved. Too many names have popped up a few times, even making it on the leasing diagrams, and then bailed at the last minute. Shackleford Crossing and Midtowne were built because of demand for those types of stores in their respective parts of town, there was little risk. Pleasant Ridge was somewhat speculative and has been a mixed bag. I still think we'll find out Promenade stole most of their tenants. Still, Promenade will only be 350,000 SF - nothing massive. Unlike Pleasant Ridge it seems like most of this is for restaurants and smaller retailers and isn't being used on large anchors.

I kind of wish Midtowne had happened on the old University Mall site and been on a grander scale with a movie theater and bookstore. It was just very tough to make much out of that small parcel, and Strode did very well with what they had to work with.

I'm not putting much faith in the Flake and Kelley project. There have been two other announcements about a retail center going up on that property and nothing has happened. Until I see dirt turning and concrete being poured, I'm not counting on anything happening there.

I still think the Promenade is the key. Once we see who is going to go into it, then will have a better picture of what national retailers were waiting on that "right retail center" to locate.

I'm not putting much faith in the Flake and Kelley project. There have been two other announcements about a retail center going up on that property and nothing has happened. Until I see dirt turning and concrete being poured, I'm not counting on anything happening there.

I still think the Promenade is the key. Once we see who is going to go into it, then will have a better picture of what national retailers were waiting on that "right retail center" to locate.

I agree. I'm putting a little more faith in Flake and Kelley developing that site than their predecessors because they act as consultants for national retailers looking to come to LR, thus they are more aware of market needs, and because Dailey is involved in it.

I bet either Gateway or that project gets developed but not both.